Visa status upon Separation/Divorce

aircooledflat4

Hi guys, I'm wondering if someone can offer a definitive answer on this please.

I want to know what the status of my 12 month, multi entry, non immigrant O visa (based on marriage) would be in the event of: (a) separation from my wife while living in Thailand; or (B) divorce from my wife while living in Thailand.

Either of these scenarios may occur when we return to Thailand next month (March 2016) after living together in Australia for 3 months. Upon return, this will be my second entry into Thailand under the terms of this visa... no extensions having ever been made or applied for.

So my question is, would my visa be nullified in each of these scenarios (in which case I would be here illegally and have to exit the country immediately) or can I stay until the visa runs out? (my preference, which would be sometime in August 2016).

We were married in August 2015, in Bangkok, but I'm thinking of pulling the pin.

I've studied past threads here on separation and divorce but there seems to be conflicting information. Some say you can safely see out your visa expiry date; some say you are living here illegally immediately upon separation/divorce.

Thanks so much.

Edited by aircooledflat4

90 day visa entry would not be effected. You can not stay until visa runs out but you could continue to use visa for entry up to 90 days.

Extensions of stay for marriage end if marriage ends and technically would end if separation occurred (as it is based on living as married) but probably would not be found until next 90 day report made.

Why don't you do the honorable and not return to Thailand. The premise of obtaining the visa is due to you being married to a Thai. Are you thinking of making her jealous by hooking up with another Thai? Things didn't work out and you have no real ties to Thailand. Time to lick your wounds back in oz get your sh!t together and start afresh.