British mother says my son would have died in Thailand without his girlfriend

webfact

My son would have died in Thailand without his girlfriend
by Jamie McKenzie

owen.jpg
Owen Auskerry with girlfriend Janjira.
Image source: The Press and Journal

ABERDEEN: -- The mother of a young Orkney man who suffered a brain aneurysm in Thailand has credited his girlfriend for saving his life.

Owen Auskerry took suddenly and catastrophically ill when he was in the Far East country working as a teacher.

As he lay helpless in a hospital in Bangkok, family, friends and perfect strangers donated tens of thousands of pounds to fly him home to recover.

And now, for the first time since the 24-year-old arrived home, he and his mother Teresa Probert have spoken to the Press and Journal about his terrifying ordeal.

Yesterday, Ms Probert said the family was “delighted” to have him home and said he was making a speedy recovery.

Full story: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/833430/mum-believes-son-would-have-died-without-help-of-friends/

-- The Press and Journal 2016-02-17

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good to see a story like this coming out of Thailand.

There are so many negative reports these days that it turns people away

from holidaying here. The Tourism business is down & out and it will

take a long time to recover, if ever.

Good to see a story where the Thai girl helps a foreigner to live than to die.

But just look at the pic... guy and girl around the same age.. both nice in the looks department.. bigger chance it was a real g/f instead one that was after money.

Heart warming story. Good job miss Janjira and everyone that donated. I wish Owen a speedy recovery.

It is amazing to see that when we get some positive news that some posters try their absolute best to be snide. You must be missing something in your lives to be so negative.

Edited by mrrizzla

take a long time to recover, if ever.

Good first line...

The rest is hogwash.

take a long time to recover, if

.[/quote

Good first line...

The rest is hogwash.

Absolute hogwash, arrivals up,up,up on last year, 15%. 30 million coming this year. I think he means his friend who owns his beer bar is suffering a downturn. But never let the facts get in the way

Note also the Thais airlifted the bloke 380 Kim's to hospital and then the Thai doctors saved his life in a three hour surgery. He was lucky to be in Thailand when this occurred. Great people these Thais.

...lucky to be alive....too young for an aneurysm one would think

...there is another friend mentioned....barely...

....impressive amount of money collected...29,000 Pounds....???

....and residents or owners of an island.....

...genuine acts are few and far between.....

...let's hope this was one....

This is far from being a negative question, but I am curious, how did his gf help ? Apart from the head-line there is no further mention of her. If she did, great !

I really do despise the negative comments towards Thais and Thailand. It's getting worse. TVF really does attract some slum-falang, most who don't live in Thailand, and the only thing they know about Thailand is what they have learnt from years sitting in front of their PC reading TVF.

take a long time to recover, if

.[/quote

Good first line...

The rest is hogwash.

Absolute hogwash, arrivals up,up,up on last year, 15%. 30 million coming this year. I think he means his friend who owns his beer bar is suffering a downturn. But never let the facts get in the way

Note also the Thais airlifted the bloke 380 Kim's to hospital and then the Thai doctors saved his life in a three hour surgery. He was lucky to be in Thailand when this occurred. Great people these Thais.

I have a used car, I would like to sell to you...

I was waiting for the rest of the story. Aneurisms are often fatal if not operated on urgently, and getting him back to the UK didn't sound right, nor did 29,000 quid unless with a medical team

So the money raised was presumably used for the hospital expenses, the major part, and then the repatriation.

Well organized young lady.

"If Janjira and his friend Kyle would have not been with him....."

Having seen that "he began suffering severe headaches, seizures and vomiting", kudos to her (them?) for calling the hospital.

Kudos to me as well, I called the hospital while I was back home last year when my dad's face turned yellow because of a kidney issue, maybe my dad would not have made it otherwise.

Please say kudos to me 10 times, I deserve it.

On an ambiguous co.uk website with a logo that imitates Wall Street Journal.

There are also some good girls around thumbsup.gif

Too true.

Problem is, a lot of posters here, ahmm, shall we say, ACQUIRED their ladies rather than going through the normal dating process, shall we say, 555 Then when they see or hear of real, good, pretty, young girls, they find it hard to believe they exist (maybe it's the green-eyed monster inside).

In all seriousness ... 'She's a keeper'

...lucky to be alive....too young for an aneurysm one would think

...there is another friend mentioned....barely...

....impressive amount of money collected...29,000 Pounds....???

....and residents or owners of an island.....

...genuine acts are few and far between.....

...let's hope this was one....

Why is every sentence in every post book-ended with...

article-1208107-007A022200000258-197_468

?

(Sorry Mods, Someone had to ask smile.png )

Edited by evadgib

Don't these teachers get medical coverage? Seems a bit dangerous to be unnecessarily flying someone all the way back. Lucky for him he was young and worth more alive than dead. Had he been 70 with an insurance policy would the outcome have been different? I hope not but one must sometimes wonder with some of the headlines we read. It does seem like this guy was lucky to have someone there with enough situational awareness to get assistance.

Edited by losworld

Don't these teachers get medical coverage? Seems a bit dangerous to be unnecessarily flying someone all the way back. Lucky for him he was young and worth more alive than dead. Had he been 70 with an insurance policy would the outcome have been different?

I received (optional) medical insurance at my old job. It was something like 600 baht a month. Cheap but it only covered a certain amount a day. If you had something serious like an aneurysm it would help cover maybe 5% of the cost....