Overstaying foreigners will face ban from re-entering Thailand

Overstaying foreigners will face ban from re-entering Thailand

logoimmi-wpcf_728x410.png

BANGKOK: -- Starting March 20, foreigners who overstay in Thailand for more than 90 days will be banned from re-entering the country as part of the immigration bureau’s new measure to tighten up security against ill-intent elements.

Under the new measure, foreigners overstaying in Thailand who willingly surrender to the authorities will be treated differently from those who are arrested and prosecuted in the way that the period of banning from re-entering will be different.

In case of voluntary surrender, those who overstay for more than 90 days will be banned from re-entering for one year; overstay for more than a year, more than three years and more than five years will face a ban of three, five and ten years respectively.

In case of arrest and prosecution, foreigners who overstay less than one year will face a ban of five years and ten years for overstaying more than a year.

Hotels, apartments, hostels or house owners who rent their houses or rooms to foreigners will be asked to report the stay of foreigners to the nearest immigration offices through the internet so that officials can keep track of their stay in the kingdom.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151358

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-18

• Like 1

How about kids age 1-13 years old who have 30 days VUA but expired? are they exempted or include into this new rule?

Children under the age of 15 are exempt from overstay fines but do get stamped for an overstay. Under the new banning rules children under the age of 18 will not be banned from re-entering the country.

Thanks, i asked this question because of one my friend, she went to immigration office here in Jomtien and they say her son is overstayed already and need to leave the country and come back before march 20 so that it will not get banned re entering Thailand.

• Like 1

How about kids age 1-13 years old who have 30 days VUA but expired? are they exempted or include into this new rule?

Children under the age of 15 are exempt from overstay fines but do get stamped for an overstay. Under the new banning rules children under the age of 18 will not be banned from re-entering the country.

Thanks, i asked this question because of one my friend, she went to immigration office here in Jomtien and they say her son is overstayed already and need to leave the country and come back before march 20 so that it will not get banned re entering Thailand.

From this announcement by immigration. New overstay rules.pdf

post-66997-0-71451000-1455762373_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hotels, apartments, hostels or house owners who rent their houses or rooms to foreigners will be asked to report the stay of foreigners to the nearest immigration offices through the internet so that officials can keep track of their stay in the kingdom.

Question: How can "house owners" report stay of foreigners "through the internet?" Does immigration have such a website that an everyday house owner can log onto and easily report stay of a foreigner without having to get a special account on the website?

• Like 1

Question: How can "house owners" report stay of foreigners "through the internet?" Does immigration have such a website that an everyday house owner can log onto and easily report stay of a foreigner without having to get a special account on the website?

No they don't. Some immigration offices will allow a home owner to register so they can do it while others will not do it.

• Like 1

Starting 20 March of which year?

Can't see anything new to the "NEW" rules compared to the "NEW" rules

from the 12th January 2016

attachicon.gif12509048_1184635551551093_1933942657243092381_n.jpg

or the "NEW" rules ​from the 25th Feb 2015

attachicon.gif20150225115823_1_normal.jpg

or the "NEW" rules ​from the 22nd July 2014

attachicon.gifimmigration confirm overstay.png

or the "NEW" rules ​from 2013, 2012, 2011, . . . .

If you had posted the complete announcement from January 12th it would be seen that they start on March 20th.

All the previous ones never happened. The were only proposals.

• Like 2

check with an Immigration office... we were given the site to go to and a password to log in. (I don't know what/where the site is). I suggest though, a "check-in" at your nearest immigration office if you haven't already. It'll

(maybe?) eliminate potential problems ie: license letter, in future dealings.

Overstay 88 days and surrender - no problem?

Overstay 2 days and get apprehended - 5 year ban?

????

The part about being arrested and prosecuted in the rules is not clear about what they would do for a short overstay. The actual ban would probably be determined by a judge the same way it works for the fine now.

Banned: new rule comes into force prohibiting visa overstayers from re-entering Thailand
By Coconuts Bangkok

tourists_5.jpg
Tourists in Bangkok. Photo: Reuters

BANGKOK: -- From March 20, new immigration rules will come into force that will BAN foreigners from re-entering Thailand if they overstay their visa by more than 90 days.

The new rule is part of tightened security measures, Thai PBS reported.

Foreigners who voluntarily come forward will face the following bans: if they overstay for more than 90 days they will be banned from re-entering the country for a year; overstays of more than a year will face a three-year ban; overstays of more than three years will face a five-year ban; and overstays of more than five years will face a ten-year ban.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/18/banned-new-rule-comes-force-prohibiting-visa-overstayers-re-entering-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-18

• Like 1

????

The part about being arrested and prosecuted in the rules is not clear about what they would do for a short overstay. The actual ban would probably be determined by a judge the same way it works for the fine now.

Thank you.

????

That's what i think it's unfair and stupid.

I can understand that in the second case the punishment is heavier, but 1 day overstay (without surrendering) and 5 years ban is madness.

Edited by max72

So what happens if your on a retirement or marriage visa say and you are too ill to leave the country and/or renew your visa. Is that an overstay?

I,m crook now but plenty of time to get well. Got me wondering.

You can get extensions for medical treatment if a doctor states your are to sick or unable to travel.

If you are due a one year extension the letter stating you are sick would allow somebody else to do the extension for you.

• Like 1

So what happens if your on a retirement or marriage visa say and you are too ill to leave the country and/or renew your visa. Is that an overstay?

I,m crook now but plenty of time to get well. Got me wondering.

Medical Extensions of stay are easily obtained if a person is too ill to attend immigration or travel.

A hospital doctors letter detailing the reason(s) for incapacity and its expected duration is required.

However the medical extension must be obtained prior to moving into overstay. Retrospective correction of overstay is not possible

Edited by sunnyjim5
  • Like 2