It's not okay: What Thais really mean by 'Mai Pen Rai'

webfact

It's not okay: What Thais really mean by 'Mai Pen Rai'
By Nanticha Ocharoenchai

mai_pen_rai.jpg
Illustration: Praew Tansanga

OPINION — It’s a known fact that mai pen rai is one of the most-used responses in the Thai language. The three syllables roughly translate to “it’s okay” or “don’t worry” — but what does this simple phrase actually mean?

After asking not only foreigners, but also native Thais, what their definition of mai pen rai is, I received a surprising variety of responses.

Just some of the many interpretations were as follows: “Yeah, I know what it means — ‘whatever,’ right?”; “It’s like never mind,”; “Oh — don’t worry,” and so on.

As a Thai growing up in the Land of Smiles, the significance of this frequently-used expression never really dawned on me. It was a nice and common thing to say, even among the foreign kids at my international school.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/18/its-not-okay-what-thais-really-mean-mai-pen-rai

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-18

One thing i probably wont ever fully accept in Thailand, is the mai pen rai attitude toward so much. Such issues and headaches it can bring, specially when me and my girlfriend was building house here. The mai pen rai attitude does not change the things, that people are actually annoyed about. I dont know how many times i heard this phrase, just to later hear someone telling how annoyed or bad it is. As an example, in the area where we live, people rely on water from the ground. A while back a guy on the street decided to make a ton of wells on his land at our street, so he could sell for plantations doing the dry season. Everyone was just mai pen rai about it, nobody taking actions against this even though everyones well ran dry, yet everyone complained about his back. Worst thing was that we had to dig an extra well, and what did my girlfriend do? hired the guy who caused the problem to begin with. But... mai pen rai....

Edited by Iumentum

One thing i probably wont ever fully accept in Thailand, is the mai pen rai attitude toward so much. Such issues and headaches it can bring, specially when me and my girlfriend was building house here. The mai pen rai attitude does not change the things, that people are actually annoyed about. I dont know how many times i heard this phrase, just to later hear someone telling how annoyed or bad it is. As an example, in the area where we live, people rely on water from the ground. A while back a guy on the street decided to make a ton of wells on his land at our street, so he could sell for plantations doing the dry season. Everyone was just mai pen rai about it, nobody taking actions against this even though everyones well ran dry, yet everyone complained about his back. Worst thing was that we had to dig an extra well, and what did my girlfriend do? hired the guy who caused the problem to begin with. But... mai pen rai....

"One thing i probably wont ever fully accept in Thailand, is the mai pen rai attitude ..."

You're far too modest. I'm sure if that gets your knickers in a knot, you probably have a catalog of things you won't fully accept. There's a whole community of TV posters who are in a perpetual state of apoplexy.

Me thinks the author is over thinking the phrase and doesn't comprehend that it's no different in English.

"It's OK" can mean a multitude of things in English.

Here's the Kiwi equivalent of Mai-bpen-rai.

"Aw yeah no, s'okay, cheu bro, no worries." which can be used in at least as many ways as the Thai equivalent. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

What does this have to do with the news?

Guess you must be lost because at the top of this page it says Farang Pub - fun, entertainment and Expat life. Can't see the word news in there anywhere.

You know what, wouldn't it be nice if some folk could just appreciate that we have a gentleman like webfact here at tvf scouring the Internet looking for various stuff for us to engage over rather than gripe and whinge all the time. Crimes what's wrong with people. Please don't answer that.

Thanks for all your effort WF, champion young man!

Me thinks the author is over thinking the phrase and doesn't comprehend that it's no different in English.

"It's OK" can mean a multitude of things in English.

Here's the Kiwi equivalent of Mai-bpen-rai.

"Aw yeah no, s'okay, cheu bro, no worries." which can be used in at least as many ways as the Thai equivalent. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Thanks for that mate, no worries

Mai pen rai..... the problem I have with the phrase is that whenever I hear it, its generally because there is a 'pen rai' usually a big pen-rai !!!

I've often found the phrase 'mai pen rai' to be most commonly used by those who have cause a problem in the first place and are attempting to 'deflate' the issue...

Mai pen rai..... the problem I have with the phrase is that whenever I hear it, its generally because there is a 'pen rai' usually a big pen-rai !!!

I've often found the phrase 'mai pen rai' to be most commonly used by those who have cause a problem in the first place and are attempting to 'deflate' the issue...

laugh.png

Or when it is someone else's problem but not their's.

Some years back we had a spell of windy weather during the hot dry season and forest fires kept breaking out in my area. Twice near my house, once on 3 sides of it and taking many hours to put out. Needless to say I was a bit wary and constantly keeping an eye out for fires in the distance and the like. Throughout it all, neighbors kept telling me it was all "mai pen rai".

One neighbor in partricular, scolded me for my farang up-tightness on this issue.

Then one morning I heard the cackling of flames in the distance, across the road. Went out to see and the fire was near her house. She came flying out the door screaming to me to call the emergency number. No mai pen rai about it, now that it was her house in the fire's path.,,,laugh.png

People will also reflexively say "mai pen rai" even when they are, in fact, quite obviously upset. It's just considered the "right" attitude to take, it's not always genuine.

No worries knackers

or

I couldn't give a stuff

or

You are welcome/ no problem (after you do something and someone thanks you)

or

Don't worry about it

or

It is not important.

or

Don't make a fuss

or

You don't have to (do it)

Depends. That's my take on it.

Nice laid back people these Thais.

The opposite of "mai pen rai" (it doesn't matter) is "pen si" (it does matter)

I never hear it being said, my wife (Thai) says it's not spoken much. Also the way she pronounces it, it comes out as 1 word pensi but her pronunciation is more like penseee.

I never hear it being said, my wife (Thai) says it's not spoken much. Also the way she pronounces it, it comes out as 1 word pensi but her pronunciation is more like penseee.

It's used as a strong affirmative....