iPad mini2, is it worth it?

guzzi850m2

Totally new to all things Apple.

I am looking for a small tablet, 7-8" and noticed that the Android ones in fairly good specs are +7000 baht.

The 16GB iPad wi-fi mini2 is 9900 so not really a big difference.

I will using the tablet mainly for net surfing and hope it got a good wi-fi antenna but will also reading a book now and again.

Should I stick to Android or go Apple?

I love my Mini Ipad, I use it all the time, I cannot go anywhere without it. I use it during the day, I read during the night, my whole library is in it, and I now have a major sleeping problem. However my wife hates it...

I think it is now 4 years old, black and still look as new, maybe slower with ios 9.2 but not one scratch on the display. I am not an Apple fan but concerning this tablet, I am over satisfied. If this thing can brake, I will finally buy the latest Mini ipad 4. Battery life was 13-14 hours when new but now with ios 9.2, it is 9 hours only due to the new requirement on the processor.

Wifi is excellent but I only have some connection problems in bars with slow modems but as long as the draft beer is cold and reasonably priced I simply asked them to restart the modem for me if any problem.

I was looking at Samsung S2 as it looks like a beautiful light tablet but my preference remains with Apple ipad, why should I replace it by an inferior Android? I should know, most mobile and my TV box are all Android and I hate them. I had to create a Google account to use them, my ipad is happy with my normal email address. My advise is to buy one ipad with moderate memory (64Gig) and it will hold all your books and movies.

Thanks, well it wont hold all my books and movies as I have about 4 TB of themsmile.png

Well I will go out and check some more tablets tomorrow but are a bit reluctant to shell out 11700 baht on a 32gb Ipad mini2. I read in a test that 16gb is too little storage and 32 is minimum, hmm.

I bought a ASUS fone pad 7 tablet in Big C about 6 months ago for under 3000 thb. I think they may be a bit more now but not much more. I have a 64 gb memory card slide in as additional storage,2 phone sims and i can download via a mini USB rather than than stuff around in iTunes , and the big plus is i downloaded VLC and can listen to FLAC files rather than stuff around with iTunes. Also you can buy an mini USB to standard USB adapter to use a normal flash drive for additional storage or even play movies and that means you don't have to use iTunes. Did i mention iTunes? Of course Samsung has the same advantages too but a bit more pricey.

I bought a ASUS fone pad 7 tablet in Big C about 6 months ago for under 3000 thb. I think they may be a bit more now but not much more. I have a 64 gb memory card slide in as additional storage,2 phone sims and i can download via a mini USB rather than than stuff around in iTunes , and the big plus is i downloaded VLC and can listen to FLAC files rather than stuff around with iTunes. Also you can buy an mini USB to standard USB adapter to use a normal flash drive for additional storage or even play movies and that means you don't have to use iTunes. Did i mention iTunes? Of course Samsung has the same advantages too but a bit more pricey.

You are comparing a low budget tablet with a high end one, that Asus fone pad has a 1024 X 600 screen and they are not too happy with it in below review.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tablets/reviews/asus-fonepad-7-review-affordable-and-capable-600806

But thanks for the heads up anyway, I might get one for my 6 year old son.

The last Nexus 7 is a more direct competitor to the mini2 but are not sure I can find one in Pattaya.

Well got the mini2 with 32gb wi-fi only for 11700 baht. What a machine man, I am hooked and know after 1 hour playing around with it, that i did the right decision.

I've had my mini 2 (32gb) over 18 months. No problems, storage space fine for me. I use it all the time at home & work.

When at work on my downtime I directly attach my SanDisk iexpand memory stick to watch my TV shows - no issue with iTunes. I can also stream Netflix, or whatever.

Great machine & no reason to upgrade for ages yet.

They are fantastic value especially when compared to other tablets for quality & the price of the iPhones!

I have owned many apple products over the years & never purchased a single movie or song from iTunes.

Edited by DMC1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When it comes to a tablet, Ipad wins all day long, i have the old Ipad 4 and battery can still last all week if only using at night, I had 2% left the other day and my alarm still went off in the morning, that wouldn't happen on an android believe me iv got the phone!!!