Major Police Activity at Zoe Area Tonight

PostmanPat

The difference being that if the shopkeeper in New Zealand uses blue ink or if he goes hot air ballooning with a rooster he isn't surrounded by 100 government authorities armed with assault rifles. See how that's not the same as what happened here?

From what I understand, there was only one or two assault rifles, but about a hundred police officers.

And rifles are only a problem when people fire them.

Carrying one does no one any harm. Unless you're frightened to death, that is...

Number of people killed in the UK this year by assault rifles = 0

Number of people killed in the US this year by assault rifles = hundreds

Want to know the difference? In the UK you're not allowed to carry an assault rifle.

It is reasonably safe to say that every time you hand out a gun - you exponentially increase the chances of that gun being used. It is impossible to use a gun that you do not have.

In addition the more guns you hand out, the greater certainty that you are handing them out to an idiot who will actually use them. Which is why we have lovely videos of American police shooting unarmed people in the back, through their car doors, and indeed of little boys playing with water pistols.

This blind faith in authority is a bit disturbing. The world is a better place when both criminals and coppers are unarmed. It is easy to see that this is true - you just compare the level of gun deaths when people don't have guns to when they do.

Actually, there have been virtually ZERO deaths in the US from assault rifles.

The deaths you quote are from rifles that LOOK LIKE assault rifles. They are NOT automatic weapons. You have to pull the trigger for each shot. Assault rifles can fire the entire magazine with a single trigger-pull. It's Big Media calling them 'assault rifles' to spur sales through fear-mongering.

And again, regardless of the weapon, a gun is only dangerous when someone pulls the trigger.

Holding one has never killed anyone... Do you have evidence to the contrary?

such a silly US attitude as if you get annoyed and a gun is handy someone can die - look at deaths in UK vs US (for example) please stay on-topic

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deaths you quote are from rifles that LOOK LIKE assault rifles. They are NOT automatic weapons. You have to pull the trigger for each shot. Assault rifles can fire the entire magazine with a single trigger-pull. It's Big Media calling them 'assault rifles' to spur sales through fear-mongering.

That seems rather pedantic... However, apparently the U.S. government decided to call even semi-automatic weapons Assault Weapons in different legislative acts which have been introduced and enacted.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons-ban-summary

I think most people know what is meant when someone refers to an Assault Rifle in this type of situation.

In regards to firearms in Thailand, especially assault rifles, I don't feel comfortable knowing the people carrying them, police or not, are hot tempered, poorly trained, and would throw their life away over losing face.

The bigger the firearm, the more empowered (and entitled) they feel.

In regards to firearms in Thailand, especially assault rifles, I don't feel comfortable knowing the people carrying them, police or not,

Me too, I feel so much more comfortable when the Army and Police carry flowers around instead of guns, everything is so much nicer that way

In regards to firearms in Thailand, especially assault rifles, I don't feel comfortable knowing the people carrying them, police or not,

Me too, I feel so much more comfortable when the Army and Police carry flowers around instead of guns, everything is so much nicer that way

As much as I love flowers, I wasn't brought up to fear inanimate objects. What percentage of expats have been killed by Thai police?

The difference being that if the shopkeeper in New Zealand uses blue ink or if he goes hot air ballooning with a rooster he isn't surrounded by 100 government authorities armed with assault rifles. See how that's not the same as what happened here?

From what I understand, there was only one or two assault rifles, but about a hundred police officers.

And rifles are only a problem when people fire them.

Carrying one does no one any harm. Unless you're frightened to death, that is...

Number of people killed in the UK this year by assault rifles = 0

Number of people killed in the US this year by assault rifles = hundreds

Want to know the difference? In the UK you're not allowed to carry an assault rifle.

It is reasonably safe to say that every time you hand out a gun - you exponentially increase the chances of that gun being used. It is impossible to use a gun that you do not have.

In addition the more guns you hand out, the greater certainty that you are handing them out to an idiot who will actually use them. Which is why we have lovely videos of American police shooting unarmed people in the back, through their car doors, and indeed of little boys playing with water pistols.

This blind faith in authority is a bit disturbing. The world is a better place when both criminals and coppers are unarmed. It is easy to see that this is true - you just compare the level of gun deaths when people don't have guns to when they do.

And again, regardless of the weapon, a gun is only dangerous when someone pulls the trigger.

Holding one has never killed anyone... Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Phew! That's ok then.

That seems rather pedantic... However, apparently the U.S. government decided to call even semi-automatic weapons Assault Weapons in different legislative acts which have been introduced and enacted.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons-ban-summary

I think most people know what is meant when someone refers to an Assault Rifle in this type of situation.

Yes. Something really big and scary that often climbs out of the closet in the middle of the night, all on its own and hurts people.

Ooooo.....