Staying longer than 90 days on a tourist visa and without leaving the country?

Mates,

Planning to visit the LOS on a single entry 60 days tourist visa, which I then hope to extend by another 30 days, giving me a total of 90 days of stay. Is there a way to stay longer than these initial 90 days on a tourist visa but without leaving Thailand?.

Also, if I would fly in and out of the country say within the same day (as a sort of a visa run), would I receive another 30 days at BKK airport, or because this would be back-to-back with my obsolete 90 days visa they would not allow another 30 days?

Cheers

There is no way of extending your tourist visa entry beyond the, one time, 30 days (unless you're married to a Thai or a parent of a Thai).

You should have no problem getting a 30 day visa exempt entry which can also be extended by 30 days.

Tourist visas are not designed for long term stay so you'll need to get a new visa or visa exempt entry every 60/90 days.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

There is nothing wrong with SETV, but on my second and third one I always get questioned at the airport. Quite frankly I feel uncomfortable now and thank god my next one will be a non o

Out of interest two things .......what sort of questions do they ask and do you do quick exits to obtain new setv. Meaning couple of nights out of los.

I usually stay 3-4 nights in Laos....so yes quick exits. The questions are why do you have so many visas and what is my business in Thailand.

I realize I'm here as a guest but we can still shake our heads. If there was a concern about successive SETV, there easily be a rule made like only so many in calender year. Or certain number of days between them etc etc. Strangely there are no such rules. Yet they ask. Suspicion of working being reason.

There is no way of extending your tourist visa entry beyond the, one time, 30 days (unless you're married to a Thai or a parent of a Thai).

You should have no problem getting a 30 day visa exempt entry which can also be extended by 30 days.

Tourist visas are not designed for long term stay so you'll need to get a new visa or visa exempt entry every 60/90 days.

Incorrect - I say again, you can get the 7 day "get out of Dodge" extension.

I usually stay 3-4 nights in Laos....so yes quick exits. The questions are why do you have so many visas and what is my business in Thailand.

I realize I'm here as a guest but we can still shake our heads. If there was a concern about successive SETV, there easily be a rule made like only so many in calender year. Or certain number of days between them etc etc. Strangely there are no such rules. Yet they ask. Suspicion of working being reason.

I realize I'm here as a guest.

Some "guest". Another member for the brigade.

"

Staying longer than 90 days on a tourist visa and without leaving the country?"

That was the question I answered. I did not assume anything, as you did.

:-)

I think you misunderstand when the 7 day 'get out of dodge' extension is applied by Immigration.

It certainly isn't to extend an already 30 day extension to a TV.

whistling.gif There is no way to remain in Thailand on a single entry tourist visa longer than 90 days unless you have a valid reason for an extension.....such a being married to a Thai or having a legal Thai child....and you can get exemptions on such a valid reason.

You could for example get up to a 60 day extension with a valid reason to visit a Thai spouse.

However, staying longer than 90 days, even with a valid reason, might run you into the required 90 day reporting law.

In general, it would be better to exit Thailand and get another visa in a neighboring country.