Cameron’s EU reform deal gets mixed reactions from Britons

rooster59

Cameron’s EU reform deal gets mixed reactions from Britons

post-247607-0-13713500-1456014587_thumb.

Londoners gave mixed reactions on Saturday (February 20) to the possibility of leaving the European Union, the morning after the British prime minister agreed the new deal with EU leaders.

David Cameron hopes it will persuade Britons to vote yes to stay in the bloc in the June 23 vote.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

“I’m largely minded to vote to stay in it (the EU),” said Jonathan Mills. “I just think the last couple of weeks or whatever (British Prime Minister David) Cameron and the ministers and the prime ministers of Europe et cetera, it’s been a bit of a sort of window dressing really, trying to say that they have changed anything and I’m not sure that they have changed anything that substantially.”

“Equally I think we should be part of Europe,” said JJ Evendon. “Without Europe I don’t think the UK will survive as a country and (I think) a lot of companies, particularly financial centres, will lose out to Europe and it’s a big part of our economy.”

Cameron’s legally-binding agreement offered concessions on the welfare rights of migrant workers, but for Londoner Victor the change does not go far enough to address what he sees as a critical issue.

With four months before the referendum on EU membership takes place, some people are saying Cameron’s agreement doesn’t go far enough.

“Too many people come here sitting on social, doing nothing, it’s just no good,” he said, adding that he will vote “Out” in the referendum.

The front pages of British newspapers on Saturday were dominated by the events in Brussels. The best-selling “The Sun” opted for a tabloid version of the summit, while the “The Daily Telegraph” pictured the prime minister looking perplexed next to a headline about one of his closest political allies, Justice Secretary Michael Gove, campaigning to leave the EU.

Cameron is due to make a statement to parliament on Monday (February 22), triggering the start of the referendum election campaign.

Opponents of EU membership say Britain would prosper outside what many say is a doomed Germany-dominated bloc that punches way below its weight on the world stage.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-21

Camerons EU reform deal gets mixed reactions from Britons

What a misleading headline.

What deal ? He never got a deal, he was sent scampering back to the UK with his tail between his legs.

Ah! another misinformed Daily Mail reader!

Correct!

I do wish the great unwashed actually read up on the issues before spouting nonsense

This whole issue only came about because DC was worried about the loyalty of some of his back benchers ( back biters?) in the face of an emergent UKIP.

All wise heads agree that the best hope for the UK is to stay within the imperfect EU and push for change from within

DC has come back with some "improvements" for his own party

The big picture is largely unchanged

The whiners on here might like to consider that the UK has far worse pensions after opting out of the social chapter. Great move!

As far as European migrants working for less, so what? Go to school and get some marketable skills!!!

If the basis on which the U.K entered the E.U in the first place had been adhered to, there would be massive support for staying in. Unfortunately Ted Heath hid the real agenda, which was to have monetary union and create a Superstate, and ever since many have had grave reservations and dislike the increased lack of sovereignty over domestic issues. The Human Rights issue also throws up patent nonsense all too frequently !

Amazing. Those who chuck insults cannot even provide a reason to back up their position.

And they have the brass neck to call others erudite, great unwashed and Daily Fail readers.

What an epic fail.

I have debated adnauseam the reasons why the best course is to stay in and fix problems from the inside. I am not going to trundle out wheel barrow loads of facts when you can read about it in the FT or The Economist.

I did provide a couple of facts I recall

Are you British?

Amazing. Those who chuck insults cannot even provide a reason to back up their position.

And they have the brass neck to call others erudite, great unwashed and Daily Fail readers.

What an epic fail.

I have debated adnauseam the reasons why the best course is to stay in and fix problems from the inside. I am not going to trundle out wheel barrow loads of facts when you can read about it in the FT or The Economist.

Are you British?

I'd say he is more British than you and far better educated.

He knows that if they'd stuck to a common market without all the political nonsense then we wouldn't be having this referendum.

It's obvious you lefties want a Europe-wide, left wing govt.

The "real" decisions made in Brussels are by Germany and France (playing a supporting role).

The United Kingdom is only playing a bit-part, in the grand scheme of things, and is unable to

influence direction, even from the "inside".

David Cameron (DC Comic) has come back with a basketful of platitudes, but not a great deal

of substance, for the British people.

If the UK can re-gain control over how the nation is run, without frequently having to be subservient

to the bureaucratic Mandarins in Brussels, then I cannot see how they will be worse-off outside of

the EU, and will possibly be infinitely better-off, over time.

What an epic fail.

Are you British?

He knows that if they'd stuck to a common market without all the political nonsense then we wouldn't be having this referendum.

Bless!

As I said on another thread, I am from Yorkshire with a Scottish father and English mother.

I am a semiconductor physicist now running a group of engineering companies in SE Asia

?

What an epic fail.

Are you British?

Bless!

As I said on another thread, I am from Yorkshire with a Scottish father and English mother.

I am a semiconductor physicist now running a group of engineering companies in SE Asia

?

I do appreciate European social justice

I do not like American "red in tooth and claw" capitalism

In the USA. I have lived in Cambridge, Austin and San Jose. In Denmark, I lived in Copenhagen and in Germany, Heidelberg. So, I do have some valid views?

(God knows why I ended up here) ?

Some reactions and observations from European Press.

Nikolaus Blome, commentator in Bild

Luckily, both the EU commission and other leaders eventually realised that while the Brits would damage themselves with a Brexit, the EU would practically be destroyed with it. That’s a change from a year ago, when the impression was that the Brits were ‘only’ threatening us with their own suicide.

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung

Sober realpolitician Merkel knows of course that neither the stated goal of the treaty nor its newly agreed interpretation have any legal significance.

German weekly Spiegel

It was the Cameron show we expected. With numerous crises facing the EU at the moment, it was in no one’s interest that the Brits leave the union and weaken it further.

Stefan Kornelius, foreign editor of Süddeutsche Zeitung

The prime minister wants reforms, but they are not really to be taken seriously: Cameron’s need for change is for the purpose of political self-preservation. Cameron is about Cameron, not the EU.

Cameron's deal is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

The deal itself may be nothing but smoke and mirrors, Sgt Rock, but the commentary in Bild

gives much food for thought. Will a "Brexit" seriously lead to the break up of the EU, and what

will that mean for the future of Europe?

Personally speaking, I believe that there is every likelihood that the Brits will exit the EU,

following the referendum.

What deal ? He never got a deal, he was sent scampering back to the UK with his tail between his legs.

Correct!

I do wish the great unwashed actually read up on the issues before spouting nonsense

This whole issue only came about because DC was worried about the loyalty of some of his back benchers ( back biters?) in the face of an emergent UKIP.

All wise heads agree that the best hope for the UK is to stay within the imperfect EU and push for change from within

The whiners on here might like to consider that the UK has far worse pensions after opting out of the social chapter. Great move!

As far as European migrants working for less, so what? Go to school and get some marketable skills!!!

--- ----////

Typical I'm alright Jack remarks. It's mainly the lower paid unskilled British workers who are effected by these Eastern Europeans. I'm sure if your "occupation" was similarly effected, and you were to see your earnings disappear you would soon change your mind.As I said,I'm alright Jack.

Edited by nontabury

Not being British, I can only look as a neutral. Cameron tried hard, and got something. Is it enough, is for British people to decide? At least they have a vote this time. My personal view is that Europe needs Britain, far more than Britain needs Europe. But that statement is a huge debate!

allanos, on 21 Feb 2016 - 23:09, said:

The deal itself may be nothing but smoke and mirrors, Sgt Rock, but the commentary in Bild

gives much food for thought. Will a "Brexit" seriously lead to the break up of the EU, and what

will that mean for the future of Europe?

Personally speaking, I believe that there is every likelihood that the Brits will exit the EU,

following the referendum.

If you believe, as I do that the EU is nothing more than Empire building, albeit by stealth. The EU will break up the EU.

History tells us so.

Brexit in itself will not cause the breakup of the EU, but it will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Some reactions and observations from European Press.

Nikolaus Blome, commentator in Bild

Luckily, both the EU commission and other leaders eventually realised that while the Brits would damage themselves with a Brexit, the EU would practically be destroyed with it. Thats a change from a year ago, when the impression was that the Brits were only threatening us with their own suicide.

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung

Sober realpolitician Merkel knows of course that neither the stated goal of the treaty nor its newly agreed interpretation have any legal significance.

German weekly Spiegel

It was the Cameron show we expected. With numerous crises facing the EU at the moment, it was in no ones interest that the Brits leave the union and weaken it further.

Stefan Kornelius, foreign editor of Süddeutsche Zeitung

The prime minister wants reforms, but they are not really to be taken seriously: Camerons need for change is for the purpose of political self-preservation. Cameron is about Cameron, not the EU.

Cameron's deal is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Do you actually read your own quoted articles? Are you quite sure you understand them?

The negotiations were to get something to keep his backbenchers quiet

However, leaving the EU would be a grave mistake both for UK and for the other EU countries

Do you have links to the original quotes auf Deutsch?

I get the impression that you think this is a zero sum game? It isn't. We all (the whole of the EU) benefit from staying together and fixing issues from within

Edited by Grouse

Correct!

--- ----////

Typical I'm alright Jack remarks. It's mainly the lower paid unskilled British workers who are effected by these Eastern Europeans. I'm sure if your "occupation" was similarly effected, and you were to see your earnings disappear you would soon change your mind.As I said,I'm alright Jack.

Typical Luddite reaction

Let people work for wages they are comfortable with as long as safety and quality standards are maintained. Frankly, automation and the world market are going result in many people being priced out or redundant. To get on, life long education is the key.

Why would I pay more for a Brit to pick potatoes than a Rumanian? Much better they pick our spuds and we build their cars and produce their Valium!

Grouse, on 22 Feb 2016 - 13:30, said:Grouse, on 22 Feb 2016 - 13:30, said:

Do you actually read your own quoted articles? Are you quite sure you understand them?

The negotiations were to get something to keep his backbenchers quiet

However, leaving the EU would be a grave mistake both for UK and for the other EU countries

Do you have links to the original quotes auf Deutsch?

I get the impression that you think this is a zero sum game? It isn't. We all (the whole of the EU) benefit from staying together and fixing issues from within

I understand them perfectly. However I have my doubts that you do.

That is the whole problem. It is NOT about backbenchers. It is about the General Public. The people who actually matter. But let us be honest, the General Public do not matter, they are only there to pay taxes.

Whether it is a mistake to leave or stay in the EU, and that can be debated to death, only time and experience will tell. Far too many people scared of leaps in the dark.

You have eyes and fingers. Find them yourself.

When you understand the fundamental problem of the EU. You will be able to work out for yourself why it cannot be fixed from the inside. The only changing that is happening in the EU is one of greater and complete integration. The only thing that is going to halt that is the complete breakdown of the EU.

You do not have to take my word for it, the information is freely available if you care to look.

Grouse, on 22 Feb 2016 - 18:24, said:Grouse, on 22 Feb 2016 - 18:24, said:

As I am sure you realise, I do read widely and form my own conclusions.

You seem to have very "robust" views on multiple threads. What's your background?

If you have to ask its obviously none of your business.

Edited by SgtRock

What an epic fail.

Are you British?

Bless!

?

So would you predict that when Cameron tables this Motion it could be Perpetual? ;)