200 days overstay!

Where in the announcement ("reason given") did it say that the bans are being introduced due to the correlation between overstay and criminality?

The announcement only lists the ban periods and effective date. (Obviously, it's a summary designed to be brief).

In all the news articles and soundbites though they mention a link between some overstayers and criminals.

'Pol Lt General Natthatorn Praosunthorn, head of the Immigration Police, said officials had learned that some overstayers were involved with crimes' - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Immigration-ups-scrutiny-of-foreign-visitors-overs-30276659.html

'Recognising the apparent link between crimes committed in the Kingdom by foreigners and significant visa overstays' - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/895063-chao-phraya-murder-case-highlights-potential-link-between-crime-and-visa-overstays/

Nowhere in news articles or the announcement, does it go on about 'the new generation overstaying more', or 'disrespecting Thailand's laws' as you propose, either.

Old men shaking fists at clouds.

• Like 2

It still amazes me how people find themselves amusing in such situations, lets put it in perspective, you are breaking the law

Hopefully these new rules will sort out this mess and then the only people you will see on the streets will have a legitimate visa

By the same token it amazes me how angry it makes some people.

If a foreigner was in my country with no ability to take locals' jobs, claim benefits, or be anything other than a net economic positive, I wouldn't care. Not all laws are equal, you have the letter of the law and intent of the law.

First of all, I am not angry just amazed how someone can so easily laugh at breaking the law in a country like Thailand.

I don't know how you would sleep at night, knowing that every time you are on the street you risk being arrested, you cannot hire or buy a car or motorcycle in case you get reported, stay in a hotel in case you get reported, attend a hospital for medical care in case you get reported.

This isn't in my view living it equates to being on the run and that costs.

I fully agree with you that there should be ways for people of means to live in a country if they have sufficient funds to not be a burden on society.

There are ways in Thailand to do this, if over 50 retirement visa, if under 50 Thailand Elite or get a job.

being in the IDC is not fun from what I understand and if the OP returns on a visa exempt or a tourist visa, both of these will very quickly run out leaving him the option of living illegally, leaving the country or finding a way to legalize his stay.

My point is that this is not western Europe or the USA, prison here is not fun and should be avoided at all costs

I am amazed at someone being amazed about someone breaking a law in Thailand, hahahahahahaahahaah!

lighten up maybe?

or not, up to you!

20K baht for a 200 day 'visa'. Better deal than the 60 day visa I got in laos which cost me 15K all in

You paid 15K for 60 days for a visa for Thailand in Laos?? Let's get this straight, 15000 Baht? What was the all in, hotels, flights and meals etc?

I am still trying to get my head round this.

Both airports the same, you just get lead over to a desk after passport control to pay the 20k, sign a form, take your photo, stamp the passport. Takes under 15 mins, often they're quite relaxed about it. In my experience they actually were all smiles.

Yes you can come back, if you go for visa exemption you'll be pulled aside and asked to show onward ticket, proof of funds, hotel bookings etc. Better off going for a tourist visa, and from Laos since from recent reports they won't reject you.

do they ask many questions about what you were doing for the missing days

or how on earth did this happen etc ? lol biggrin.png

It still amazes me how people find themselves amusing in such situations, lets put it in perspective, you are breaking the law

Hopefully these new rules will sort out this mess and then the only people you will see on the streets will have a legitimate visa

Your last sentence, IMO, as long as the under fifties have so many hoops to go through to stay long time in Thailand, that will not be the case.

• Like 1

20K baht for a 200 day 'visa'. Better deal than the 60 day visa I got in laos which cost me 15K all in

So you can see why they want to enforce the rules. 200 days would cost you B50K if you took 3+ 60 day visas from Laos.....more dosh for the government, and get rid of overstayers.

whistling.gif No penalty if you clear your overstay before march 20,2016.

After that day new penalties,including bans on returning to Thailand for a period of time (depending on how long your overstay is) will go into effect after March 20th.

Before March 2oth, it is a maximum of 20,000 Baht fine and NO bans before that date.

Do not wait until after 20 March or you may not be allowed to return to Thailand for some time..

So don't wait, clear your overstay now, and there will be no penalties.

Don't wait until after 20 March 2016 or the penalty may be severe.

whistling.gif No penalty if you clear your overstay before march 20,2016.

After that day new penalties,including bans on returning to Thailand for a period of time (depending on how long your overstay is) will go into effect after March 20th.

Before March 2oth, it is a maximum of 20,000 Baht fine and NO bans before that date.

Do not wait until after 20 March or you may not be allowed to return to Thailand for some time..

So don't wait, clear your overstay now, and there will be no penalties.

Don't wait until after 20 March 2016 or the penalty may be severe.

"So don't wait, clear your overstay now, and there will be no penalties."

Where did this information come from ?

A max 20k Bht fine for overstay is a penalty and has not been suspended !

So you can see why they want to enforce the rules. 200 days would cost you B50K if you took 3+ 60 day visas from Laos.....more dosh for the government, and get rid of overstayers.

Which government? Laos?

visa 1500, guest house, 500, food 1000, plus whatever else you spend in the 36 hours you're there.

Thai government get only 1000 for the visa

i recently cleared my 1600 Days Overstay and came back 2 days after i got a Single Entry TR Visa in Laos Vientiane. The Process of leaving is rather Simple You'll be brought to the counter for payment after the immigration officer noticed you overstayed and after paying 20K you're free to go. Coming back i am rather sure that if you come back with visa exempt you'll be pull aside and ask for Proof of Fund and also accommodation bookings & Return Ticket.

So i will suggest don't risk it, I even cross the Land boarder before i take a flight back to BKK.

• Like 1

Where in the announcement ("reason given") did it say that the bans are being introduced due to the correlation between overstay and criminality?

The announcement only lists the ban periods and effective date. (Obviously, it's a summary designed to be brief).

In all the news articles and soundbites though they mention a link between some overstayers and criminals.

'Pol Lt General Natthatorn Praosunthorn, head of the Immigration Police, said officials had learned that some overstayers were involved with crimes' - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Immigration-ups-scrutiny-of-foreign-visitors-overs-30276659.html

'Recognising the apparent link between crimes committed in the Kingdom by foreigners and significant visa overstays' - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/895063-chao-phraya-murder-case-highlights-potential-link-between-crime-and-visa-overstays/

Nowhere in news articles or the announcement, does it go on about 'the new generation overstaying more', or 'disrespecting Thailand's laws' as you propose, either.

Old men shaking fists at clouds.

You said: "No, the reason given was the correlation between overstay and other criminality - overstay itself wasn't the reason." The links you supplied do not back up that claim.

I didn't make any claims of the official reason, as it hasn't been given.

Someone in immigration/government has clearly thought that PR spin linking overstaying to crime was the best way to sell the new bans, but the underlying reason, by any logical standing, must be the growing numbers of overstayers. Maybe linking overstaying to crime was what was needed for TIB to get the MOI to give the green light. Of course some overstayers are involved in other crime but so those staying legally. If overstaying itself isn't the reason they would just be banning overstayers that commit additional crime.

When this was first announced the report cited the 70k+ overstayers in 2014, and I believe the number has just got too big so the MOI gave in. Also, immigration are more than aware of the growing belief of some foreigners that overstaying is 'ok', which is evident from the overstay video that starts with two foreigners discussing that very fact.

When I said "new generation" I wasn't being ageist like you, I was referring to the new generation of tourist and that some don't seem to think the rules apply to them. Thailand is a great country to live in with very easy immigration policy, but the more foreigners step out of line the harder it will get for all of us.

• Like 2

By the same token it amazes me how angry it makes some people.

If a foreigner was in my country with no ability to take locals' jobs, claim benefits, or be anything other than a net economic positive, I wouldn't care. Not all laws are equal, you have the letter of the law and intent of the law.

Usual nonsense from a serial overstayer justifying his and others disrespect for the country they stay in.

The letter of the law says you can't overstay and the intent of the law is that foreigners don't overstay, regardless of the insignificant "net economic" benefit or their employment status. rolleyes.gif

have to kind of agree, i came on a 30 day tourist visa, but decided to stay an extra week as my daughter is having exams, went to sakon imigration, 30 min, no problem, 1900 baht and i got 30 days extra, its really not that difficult, just takes sm time and effort, and by the way, no need for any bribes, pleasant experiance.

the real question is , why on earth would you overstay by 200 days? , if i did not get a new visa, my overstay would have been 5 days, but i wont do it, never, why would you? just follow the easy rules and get an extension. is it really that hard? i honestly dont get it, can somone pls enlighten me???

the real question is , why on earth would you overstay by 200 days? , if i did not get a new visa, my overstay would have been 5 days, but i wont do it, never, why would you? just follow the easy rules and get an extension. is it really that hard? i honestly dont get it, can somone pls enlighten me???

Your not alone. I for one used to get all crazy about most posts that break rules. I'm starting to mellow. People find themselves in bad situations for all different reasons. Some just don't give a f..

Some bit more complicated. They come here for help. Gradually I'm taking leaf out of ubon book. Give advice or shut up. Mind you I have a way to go