200 days overstay!

i have 200 days overstay i plan to get it sorted in the next day or two ,was just wondering

is it better to fly out from suabhanabum or don muang ?

how long does it take to sort out at the airport/whats the procedure etc ?

would i be able to come back in a couple of weeks on a tourist visa or visa exemption ?

thx in advance

• Like 1

The process does not take long. Just allow an extra half hour.

Returning should not be a problem at this time. It is better to get a visa. If you plan to stay long term on tourist visas and visa exempt entries, life may become difficult later. I would recommend having a plan B.

Both airports the same, you just get lead over to a desk after passport control to pay the 20k, sign a form, take your photo, stamp the passport. Takes under 15 mins, often they're quite relaxed about it. In my experience they actually were all smiles.

Yes you can come back, if you go for visa exemption you'll be pulled aside and asked to show onward ticket, proof of funds, hotel bookings etc. Better off going for a tourist visa, and from Laos since from recent reports they won't reject you.

do they ask many questions about what you were doing for the missing days

or how on earth did this happen etc ? lol :D

Both airports the same, you just get lead over to a desk after passport control to pay the 20k, sign a form, take your photo, stamp the passport. Takes under 15 mins, often they're quite relaxed about it. In my experience they actually were all smiles.

Yes you can come back, if you go for visa exemption you'll be pulled aside and asked to show onward ticket, proof of funds, hotel bookings etc. Better off going for a tourist visa, and from Laos since from recent reports they won't reject you.

do they ask many questions about what you were doing for the missing days

or how on earth did this happen etc ? lol biggrin.png

If you are really lucky they will detain you until they are satisfied by checking with the Police that there are no outstanding criminal/civil charges against you

That would be funny. lol biggrin.png

• Like 1

If you are really lucky they will detain you until they are satisfied by checking with the Police that there are no outstanding criminal/civil charges against you

Doesn't happen.

I know for a fact that it can and does happen.

Not personal experience but knowledge of one individuals experience, a person who was detained, missed a flight and had to buy a new ticket.

Usual nonsense from a serial overstayer justifying his and others disrespect for the country they stay in.

The letter of the law says you can't overstay and the intent of the law is that foreigners don't overstay, regardless of the insignificant "net economic" benefit or their employment status. rolleyes.gif

Would be my opinion even if I'd never overstayed. The intent in any country is to deter foreigners from becoming a burden on the system, a danger to security, organised criminal, illegal worker etc. not simply 'so that foreigners don't overstay', what kind of circular logic is that.

Now Thailand is a bit of an anomaly where they let people in easily and have certain protectionist policies in place such that it's hard for us to really affect the country too negatively. Hence how lenient the laws were historically, 20k on exit and straight back the next day. That's only now changing now under a very authoritarian military government, which is fine, but still.

Just my opinion but a lot better presented one than 'that's nonsense', followed by an ad hominem attack smile.png

In Canada they don't actually care about overstay at all. Likewise I don't care about e.g. an under 50 in Thailand who has enough money to support his girlfriend and live well month to month, but not enough savings for the Elite Card, and isn't a threat in any way.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2

Doesn't happen.

Not personal experience but knowledge of one individuals experience, a person who was detained, missed a flight and had to buy a new ticket.

Do you have a links for this, or was it just something you heard in a bar? Unless the guy was flagged on the immigration computer somehow, this sounds like an urban myth.

• Like 2

Doesn't happen.

Do you have a links for this, or was it just something you heard in a bar? Unless the guy was flagged on the immigration computer somehow, this sounds like an urban myth.

I am not in the habit of repeating rumour or urban myth.

I am saying that I have personal knowledge of the occurrence described.

You can believe or not.

The bar stool, happy IO's when you exit and the ability to re-enter have convinced you and others that overstaying is no big deal, and you continually justify that misconception with irrelevances.

No, the penalties for any given crime decide determine whether or not it's a big deal. A 20k capped fine, no blacklist and ability to return immediately, make it defacto not a big deal. On March 20th when that all changes, my opinion will change too.

The past actions of you and others are the reason that the laws have to be made stricter. Clearly the law makers didn't think so many foreigners would come here and blatantly ignore immigration rules/law.

No, the reason given was the correlation between overstay and other criminality - overstay itself wasn't the reason. Correlation doesn't equal causation, and that's why I'm not angry at an overstayer who doesn't commit any other crimes.

Without a military government it may not have happened. It's more to do with who the law makers are, they tightened controls in many other areas too.

I think you forgot about all those deported. I wonder how many of them think overstaying is no big deal!

The immigration act is over 30 years old and outdated. Had you and others not abused the system the overstay penalties could probably stay as is. But they clearly do not deter the new generation so need updating. The fact that people have been let back in is mainly because they cant be stopped based on the current law (unless previously deported).

Immigration have wanted to introduce bans for well over 5 years and have only just got it past the MOI. Maybe it took a government with balls to give the green light or maybe it's just timing and coincidence. But I'm pretty sure they didn't propose the bans otherwise they would have introduced them long ago.

Where in the announcement ("reason given") did it say that the bans are being introduced due to the correlation between overstay and criminality?

• Like 1

This overstay thingy has the following purposes (at least in their mind):

1. To create a good image on the domestic market that they are efficient in dealing with "transnational crime"

2. More importantly, because Western logic is different, it is perceived as a threat to the "health" of the "system".

3. To recover some lost face internationally as well. But they are wrong here, because they are using Thai logic for that assumption, and that only functions domestically.

I see people here blaming the overstayers. It's not their fault you gave them a finger and they took the whole hand.

Let's not forget that there was a 90/180 rule scraped back in 2007-2008. Why? For economical reasons. Back then they were thinking all money is good money, no matter where it comes from.

Now, they have raised the bar. Question is...was this the best time to do it (economic slowdown) and what will be the long term economic effects of all these stunts (bridge players, raids, passport checks etc).

And who exactly will be paying 30-40K rent for a one bedroom in the center of Bangkok? The rich Chinese that fall in love with Thailand and decide to move here? I think they prefer Hong Kong and Canada at the moment.

PS: Offtopic. HK property prices have fallen 11% last year and are expected to drop a further 25% this year. We'll see how "teflon" Thailand remains to this.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

I believe they will both be forgiving until March 20th and unforgiving after.

I actually got a re entry permit at Don Muang, and both the guy and the girl were very nice, asking me what time my flight was at and all that cause there were 3 people ahead of me.

20K baht for a 200 day 'visa'. Better deal than the 60 day visa I got in laos which cost me 15K all in

15 k its better then go to jail IDC some night in jail after that deportation anyway if you want stay in Thailand better you have avalid visa whitout overstay
Yeah with that I totally agree. I got someone out of IDC after 3 weeks while they kept making excuses about the routes on the deportation plane tickets (not being direct and stuff).

IDC is also like a business, the shop inside needs to make money selling items at double the price, the cleaning personnel needs to make money etc). So you need to stay there for a while to contribute.

It all depends on the relationship they have with your Embassy. The UK (or the US i forgot), seems to be the most efficient taking people out of IDC for deportation. That person was from another Western European country.

They take you to the airport in a cage effectively. While they do the formalities you sweat in there for a few hours.

Your cage is parked there in front of the entrance while people passing by look curiously not understanding what's going on.

Also, the "transportation fee" in that cage from IDC to Suvarnabhumi is 800 baht.

You'll regret not spending that 15K if you got in there trust me. Only the one way ticket back to your country would cost you 30-50K, being direct and last minute. On top of the experience.

PS: If you want to do Vientiane on less budget, fly to Udon Thani then enter Laos by land.

Edited by lkv