London Mayoral Election

It's sadly not often that I see something that makes me proud to be British but I was impressed by Mayoral candidate Zac Goldsmith volunteering to publish a 5 year tax return.He didn't have to and in the past both Boris Johnson and Ken Livingstone wriggled unpleasantly on this issue.I seem to remember they did in the end after much pressure.

Zac Goldsmith is a fortunate man, blessed with an inherited fortune and film star good looks.Polls indicate he is going to lose the election but London is a Labour city now.

Anyway wouldn't be great if Thai politicians had this level of public scrutiny?Cynics may say it's all very well to be honest if you are very rich.But the fact is most very rich people find ways of avoiding tax.

Here is Zac's 5 year return on world wide income.You can see he has payed his whack.

post-77093-0-51086400-1456145645_thumb.j

Just shows how little tax you need to pay if you have a good tax advisor. Goldsmith is worth somewhere between £250M - £500M and owns some serious chunks of central London - yet last year received £0 from property? - interesting.

I actually quite like the guy, but that tax return is a work of fiction.

Just shows how little tax you need to pay if you have a good tax advisor. Goldsmith is worth somewhere between £250M - £500M and owns some serious chunks of central London - yet last year received £0 from property? - interesting.

I actually quite like the guy, but that tax return is a work of fiction.

And interest of 1 pound, even I get more than that.

To be London Mayor you have to look and sound the part and be a character as well, bit of a star in some respects which why Boris carried it off so well. Ken was always a dour to me and pessimistic on the face of it, but, apparently he was great to work with. I am not sure if any of his opponents are up to the mark and I dont think Zac is in the same class as Boris.

In front of the cameras and on the world stage Zac looks the man for the part but the voters of London may think of voting along party lines or lets just let the other side have a go now.