Cat S60 is the World’s First Smartphone with a Built-In Thermal Camera

rhythmworx

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/19/cat-s60-worlds-first-smartphone-built-thermal-camera/

The British company Bullitt yesterday announced its new Cat S60 rugged smartphone, the world’s first to feature a built-in thermal imaging camera. The product is essentially a fusion between Bullitt’s Cat smartphones and FLIR’s thermal camera technology.

The phone has a 4.7-inch, super bright, 720p, Gorilla Glass screen and is rugged enough to survive drops from 1.8 meters (~5.9 feet) and swims to depths of 5 meters (~16.4 feet) for an hour.

On the back of the phone, you’ll find 2 different camera modules: one is a standard 13-megapixel camera that shoots ordinary photos, and the other is a special FLIR-made thermal camera that provides a heat view of the world around you.

Thank goodness infrared is finally going mainstream. I remember when we used to rent an IR camera for about that much every day or so.

As appealing as it is, I'll probably wait around for generation 2 or 3 or 5 when I'm sure they'll offer more pixels and better temperature resolution- just as a natural evolution.

Archived