British backpacker Grace Taylor missing in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This confirms that there are a lot of sad old bastards who missed the boat when they were young and don't seem to have done much in their younger lives if you read these comments.

i and many people travelled over land from Sydney to London the hard way. We called in at Poste Restante (mail drops at public post offices) and checked our air mail letters every two or three weeks. This silly girl and her generation seem pitifully spoilt and unadventurous, wrapped in cotton wool and suffering from hovering parents. Doomed to expect life to provide no shocks or surprises and always wanting a mythical offense free 'safe space'. So we 'sad old bastards' who passed throught jakarta, kabaul, lahore, calcutta, tehran when we were or 20 and without any parental contact did plenty in our younger lives and still do.

We might have met as I was probably the only " Pom" in those days going in the opposite direction by myself...can't get any harder..and from a sink council estate at that..

I agree there are people today who should not be travelling, but I think it's more the helicopter parents..and social media that is to blame. You and I know that ' shit" liked this happened back in the day..plenty of drugs etc..and you grew up accordingly.

In general I stand by my comments..( ozzies being in general the exception)..you took it to personally. I would further suggest that there are many retirees here who are pitifully spoilt and feel entitled ( not exclusive to the younger generation ) which prompted my comment.

Nothing about her situation justifies some of the comments on here..

This confirms that there are a lot of sad old bastards who missed the boat when they were young and don't seem to have done much in their younger lives if you read these comments.

During my gap year (I still have the passport) I have visas/immigration stamps from 15+ different countries in the ME and SE Asia ----------that was almost 40 years ago and during that year of travel I was never "lost" or "missing" despite there being no smart phones, twitter, facebook or computers !

Seems the "oldies" were actually better at real travelling than than are modern day youth.

Your comment reveals a person who seems to know nothing and who understands even less.

Really..you took a gap here..well done...how about working your way around the world like I did, after university..and doing Europe when I was 16...I don't want to get into a pissing contest..I could go on..

Why so derogatory about today's youth..good on you for what you did, but as stated previously some of these comments are simply not justified.

During my gap year (I still have the passport) I have visas/immigration stamps from 15+ different countries in the ME and SE Asia ----------that was almost 40 years ago and during that year of travel I was never "lost" or "missing" despite there being no smart phones, twitter, facebook or computers !

Seems the "oldies" were actually better at real travelling than than are modern day youth.

Your comment reveals a person who seems to know nothing and who understands even less.

Really..you took a gap here..well done...how about working your way around the world like I did, after university..and doing Europe when I was 16...I don't want to get into a pissing contest..I could go on..

Why so derogatory about today's youth..good on you for what you did, but as stated previously some of these comments are simply not justified.

In addition to the travel undertaken in my "gap" year I have, indeed traveled,lived and worked in many non European countries.

Unfortunately the itinerary I followed during the gap year is no longer possible because of the security situation now existing in many countries.

I would, however, challenge any(most of) modern day youth to replicate my journey though SE Asia providing it was done without access to a smart phone,computer ,hole in the wall cash machines and by using proper paper maps !

Actually none of us know the full story. But based on her condition and behavior when found as well as the call to her family there appears to be a bit more to it.

She may have had a psychotic break.

She may have been drugged unknowingly (very common here) and possibly assaulted afterwards leaving her paranoid and disoriented.

Or she may have intentionally taken a drug(s) and had a bad reaction.

We don't know.

So why rush to judgement?

This article said she was detained by police for her own safety ... I have reports from friends via family that the young lady had history of bipolar disorder... Seems she is safe and maybe they will send her home...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grace-taylor-british-tourist-who-sent-message-saying-people-are-trying-to-hurt-me-detained-for-her-a6890626.html

Why the family let her traveling alone when she got bipolar disorder history. At least make her travel with a group of family or friends. But anyway, it is good that she is okay.

In addition to the travel undertaken in my "gap" year I have, indeed traveled,lived and worked in many non European countries.

Unfortunately the itinerary I followed during the gap year is no longer possible because of the security situation now existing in many countries.

I would, however, challenge any(most of) modern day youth to replicate my journey though SE Asia providing it was done without access to a smart phone,computer ,hole in the wall cash machines and by using proper paper maps !

Or we could just get o n with the present and leave you to your reminiscing.

Yup, they were probably married, with a couple of sprogs and stuck with the nagging Farang wife. I wonder if those sprogs ever travelled, or have they been forgotten over the years.. Now daddy has found a new lease of life with a new wife and sprogs.

You knew me in my past life!

Off topic

As for the forgotten sprogs,

30yo daughter, spends all her time on holidays round the world, Nepal, Kilimanjaro, India, Australia.

25yo son, currently in Australia for a year with his Aussie gf.

The two younger boys aren't old enough to have facebook pages, so I can't sneak a look at what they are up to.

(former misses doesn't allow any contact, tells the older ones if they communicate with me she will cut off all access to the younger ones)

Back on topic,

The reason backpackers go it alone ..... they don't want their 'friends' reporting back.

Sex, booze, drugs, and generally behaving badly.

If you go with mates, stories and photos always get back.

Not so bad if you're a guy, but a disaster for a girl.

Edited by MaeJoMTB