NASA releases recording of 'outer-space type music' from far side of the moon

webfact

NASA releases recording of 'outer-space type music' from far side of the moon
By James Griffiths, CNN

(CNN)"Did you hear that whistling sound too?"

"Sounds like -- you know, outer-space type music."

"I wonder what it is."

This conversation, between Apollo 10 astronauts Eugene Cernan and John Young, as their craft flew around the far side of the moon, remained under wraps for over four decades.

While transcripts were released in 2008, audio of the discussion, and the sounds that the astronauts were referencing, is only just being made public.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2016/02/21/world/far-side-moon-music/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-02-23

There was not much of the sound in the two videos of the web page. But what I heard sounded very much like the sound of a multi-channel transmitter that could be heard all over the shortwave band in the late 1980's through the mid 1990's, when I was paid to monitor radio communications.

Those multi-channel transmitters may have been in use in the 1960's too. But, I do not know how the space craft receivers could hear those radio signals on the dark side of the moon, which would act as a shield blocking shortwave signals. Just as the moon did, preventing the space craft from communicating with NASA.

Hence, the recording being sent to NASA in a communications data dump, when the earth was again visible.

There was not much of the sound in the two videos of the web page. But what I heard sounded very much like the sound of a multi-channel transmitter that could be heard all over the shortwave band in the late 1980's through the mid 1990's, when I was paid to monitor radio communications.

Those multi-channel transmitters may have been in use in the 1960's too. But, I do not know how the space craft receivers could hear those radio signals on the dark side of the moon, which would act as a shield blocking shortwave signals. Just as the moon did, preventing the space craft from communicating with NASA.

Hence, the recording being sent to NASA in a communications data dump, when the earth was again visible.

I think it was last year but some probe landed on a comet and recorded strange sounds being emitted from the comet. Or was it an asteroid?

Radiochaser what kind radio coms were you monitoring? sounds like a good job for somebody who is into radios

I think it was last year but some probe landed on a comet and recorded strange sounds being emitted from the comet. Or was it an asteroid?

Radiochaser what kind radio coms were you monitoring? sounds like a good job for somebody who is into radios

All communications from DC to Daylight, as the engineer called it.

Radio transmitters well below the AM broadcast band, up to about 1.2 Ghz, from 1987 to 1996. Data signals, analog signals, frequency modulated signals. Later, signals that were mostly from 30 mHz up to 4 GHz.

Strange signals that no one knew the origin of.

Radio broadcast jammers and emergency MADAY signals from ships and aircraft.

Signals of civilian origin and those of military origin.

Signals that people intended to transmit and those that were not intended to be transmitted. Signals that originated inside the United States and those that originated outside of the United States.

Signals that were communicating information to, spies!

From 1987 to 1996, I worked a rotating shift. I had to complete one year of training after I was hired, and then I worked mostly by myself, only having other people in the building that did administrative work during the day shift.

Many of the shortwave signals were located by long range high frequency direction finding (HFDF), 1987-1996. Later I worked with a mobile direction finding vehicle, having to locate radio transmitters and sometimes contacting the people operating the transmitters. Sometimes backed up by local police and/or by Federal Agents.

If you like to listen to radios and don't have any, you can do it on the internet at these links.

http://websdr.org/

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/