Visa run Laos, 30 days?

Hi All,

I am planning on driving up to Nong Khai, leaving my car there and hopping into Laos to get a Thai visa,

Anyone know what the deal is? will I only be able to get a 15 day thai visa as it is not by air? how long does it take?

Any information would be great, I normally fly to cambodia but as I live in Isaan it makes no sense now as flights seem quite expensive and its a longer drive to bangkok,

Thanks in advance

You can only get a visa from the embassy in Vientiane. If you don't have a visa, on re-entry, you will given a visa exempt entry if you're from a qualifying country. Nationals from the G7 countries get 30 days, all others only 15.

G7 countries: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, USA.

Edited by elviajero

It is a 15 day visa exempt entry unless you are from a G7 country which would get a you 30 days.

You could cross and go to the embassy consular section and apply for a tourist visa which would give you a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Thanks for the information guys, so for a 30 day stamp how much is this and how long would I have to stay in Laos for? I assume atleast one night? I am from the UK

Thanks again

• Visa exempt entry is free.
  • Once you have entered Laos you can immediately turn around, exit Laos and re-enter Thailand.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Ian9657 said:

is it still possible to get your Visa at the weekend, someone said that the Embassy is now closed on Saturdays

Embassies and consulates are closed on weekends and holidays.

This topic is about doing a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Border crossings are open every day of the year.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Embassies and consulates are closed on weekends and holidays.

This topic is about doing a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Border crossings are open every day of the year.

So if I arrive on a Friday and depart on a Sunday will I be able to get my visa extended?

9 minutes ago, Ian9657 said:

So if I arrive on a Friday and depart on a Sunday will I be able to get my visa extended?

You cannot get a visa extended at a border crossing. You can only get a new entry from it if it allows multiple entries.

You can cross the border, enter Laos, turn around and come right back to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. You can only do it twice per calendar year at land border crossing though.

10 minutes ago, Ian9657 said:

You cannot get a Visa extended .

You can get a free 30 day Visa exempt stamp on arrival into Thailand , you can leave and come straight back , as long as you dont have two land border VES already OR you can go to the Thai embassy and get a 60 day tourist visa for 1000 Baht , if you apply on Friday , you will have to wait until Monday afternoon  to pick your PP up from the embassy