Catch a domestic flight with an overstay situation

Nova58 good advice. He could also consider flight to Saigon. Sometimes Airasia have very cheap flights. Good place to chill and no queue consulate.

The minibus from udon thani he can get at centra plaza and it's easy run. Trouble is you need to go early. Most fly into udon, spend the night and get the 7 or 8am to border.

Having said all that the guy is on overstay. For me, I would fly to bkk and get direct flight out of los to country where I can obtain setv. Such as ,Penang , Saigon etc.

Lot of pain if was unlucky to get picked up PRIOR to arrival at a border crossing.

Leading up to March 20 for all we know the police may decide to do some extra passport checking on roads to borders or even bkk airports.

I would clear my overstay NOW

Umm no they don't do that but yes you want to lay low in case you are on overstay. In most cases, even if you were on overstay as long as it's not a long one you would be allowed to go to the border and leave the country.

My neighbor tells me there are no "immigration" detectives !

There are people engaged in immigration intelligence who are office based in Bangkok and also Immigration Officers who are required to react to intelligence reports. There are also officers who support their police colleagues in certain circumstances and those who are charged with the random examination of passports at some airports.

Detectives ? My neighbor is still laughing !

Your neighbour describes the job my friend does... He runs the team at DM Airport. He is Immigration Police - he describes his job to me that he is an Immigration Detective - whether or not that is an official translation of his specific position maybe questionable, semantics.... He still has legal rights to question anyone at the airport (or anywhere else in Bangkok for that matter) and arrest overstayers.....

.... Whether or not the position of 'Detective' is a true translation of an existing position in the Immigration Police is not the main underlying question of this thread and the side track its taken...

Your neighbour is in agreement that Immigration Police have teams who work at the Airport and check the Passports according to intelligence they have received, or the intelligence they have themselves found.

Now that you are in agreement that there are Immigration Police who are charged with the Random examination of passports at some airports, would you agree people are also arrested for overstay at airports ????

To the OP: Your friend can be checked on a domestic flight...

No !

My neighbor regards the random examination of passports as a wast of time and a "soft option" deployment.

He says that very few are arrested as a result of random checks (which are not intelligence based) and believes the man/woman power involved in such checks could be better deployed.

I agree... I think my friend would too. For the most part my friend tells me he and his team profile and lookout for people behaving suspiciously, they've caught overstayers, drug traffickers, people trafficking - his stories are interesting and make for good discussion over beers - his job really does sound interesting, but at the same time frustrating as he is working within an inefficient system... checking flight lists against Immigration Records is one way he makes his job more efficient, but of course he can't and doesn't check every passenger on every flight.

I guess this is why Immigration are stepping up deterrent measures next month with the hard-line they are taking on overstay.

I guess this is why Immigration are stepping up deterrent measures next month with the hard-line they are taking on overstay.

Either that or with the economy going in the wrong direction recently and less revenue, the opted to take a bigger " lump sum" before March 20th.

Don't forget visa exempt tourists and people of overstay do not generate any sort of income in terms of immigration fees.

Edited by lkv

Either that or with the economy going in the wrong direction recently and less revenue, the opted to take a bigger " lump sum" before March 20th.

Nonsense !

Provide evidence for what you claim .

Nonsense !

Why do I need to provide any evidence it's an opinion lol.

I think there are lots of 20K overstay fines being issued these months, don't you?

Edited by lkv

Nonsense !

Why do I need to provide any evidence it's an opinion lol.

I think there are lots of 20K overstay fines being issued these months, don't you?

Unlike you I have no idea and no means of finding out.

What is the source of your "knowledge" ? "Thinking" is something which is said to be damaging if undertaken in an unthoughtful manner.

To the OP: Your friend can be checked on a domestic flight...

To the OP: any policeman anywhere in Thailand can ask at any time to check your passport. Generally, this will only occur in practice if you are acting suspiciously. However, being on overstay carries a risk. As to whether Westerners are caught by checking passenger lists for overstayers, I remain skeptical. I think the main risk would be a random passport check, but probably at a police checkpoint outside the airport rather than in the airport terminal.

What is the source of your "knowledge" ? "Thinking" is something which is said to be damaging if undertaken in an unthoughtful manner.

It's not "knowlegde" it's a logical assumption that could be right or wrong.

I disagree, thinking of any manner helps brain circulation and prevents early Alzheimer.

Edited by lkv

• 1 month later...