Catch a domestic flight with an overstay situation

If you're in a hole, stop digging. Just saying

Fair enough - I'm not about to give you my friends name. It's entirely up to you if you wish to believe this or not.

This information was purely for the benefit of the Op.

Only an idiot would suspect the Thai Immigration can't and don't do these checks, especially now that you've been provided with information presented by someone who has first hand knowledge of an Immigration Officer / Detective who personally carries out these very checks.

An Immigration Detective

What is an "Immigration Detective"? Is this a mistranslation or is there such a formal description at the Investigation and Interrogation Division of the Immigration Bureau?

This is how my friend describes his position... whether or not its a mistranslation I'm not sure, his English is spot on, so I suspect its a fairly direct translation. He's part of a whole team who work shifts round the clock.

Teams of baggage handlers work round the clock !

An Immigration Detective

What is an "Immigration Detective"? Is this a mistranslation or is there such a formal description at the Investigation and Interrogation Division of the Immigration Bureau?

This is how my friend describes his position... whether or not its a mistranslation I'm not sure, his English is spot on, so I suspect its a fairly direct translation.

He uses the word 'detective' to describe his work, I presume. Hard to believe officers at the Immigration Bureau would have such ranks.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

An Immigration Detective

This is how my friend describes his position... whether or not its a mistranslation I'm not sure, his English is spot on, so I suspect its a fairly direct translation.

He uses the word 'detective' to describe his work, I presume. Hard to believe officers at the Immigration Bureau would have such ranks.

When my neighbor returns from work today I will ask him about these "immigration detectives". He will be sure to know having worked as an Immigration Officer for 20+ years !

If you're in a hole, stop digging. Just saying

Fair enough - I'm not about to give you my friends name. It's entirely up to you if you wish to believe this or not.

This information was purely for the benefit of the Op.

Only an idiot would suspect the Thai Immigration can't and don't do these checks, especially now that you've been provided with information presented by someone who has first hand knowledge of an Immigration Officer / Detective who personally carries out these very checks.

Free Spade (Shovel) for rent

An Immigration Detective

They do exist. I vaguely know one in Had Yai and that is exactly how he describes his job title in English. He also dresses in plain clothes not a uniform. I have never discussed with him in detail what he does but he mentioned to me that he mostly works "undercover". He also drinks a lot of beer.

• Like 1

When my neighbor returns from work today I will ask him about these "immigration detectives". He will be sure to know having worked as an Immigration Officer for 20+ years !

Good Idea....

I've sent you a private message, in which I've attached of Photo of my Friend at work with a handful of his team of Immigration Detectives... (I've edited out the faces in the photo for reasons of privacy)

Your neighbour can verify from this photo that this is part of the team of Immigration Detectives at Don Muang Airport.

An Immigration Detective runs a search from the passenger list... he then has a list of the potential overstayers and waits for them as they exit the domestic flight.

People have been caught this way numerous times.

Any advice that you can show 'other' ID or that your Visa status will not be checked is wrong - there are no 'definites'

You may get away with it, you may not - its simply about how fortunate or unlucky you are on the day.

Saw a similar post in another thread recently. I wonder how that could work.

If you fly Air Asia and book online, the information required includes full name, DOB and Thai ID card or Foreign Passport number.

On Nok Air they require first and last name only. No DOB and no ID/Passport info.

On Thai Airways, same as Nok, only first and last name required. No DOB, no ID/Passport.

It is possible to do online check-in on all the above so you need not have any contact with the check-in counter staff. The Gate ID check is only a very quick scan of any photo ID to ensure that the ID and boarding pass names match.

So ok, on Air Asia it would seem possible to do as you describe.

But on TG or Nok, they don't necessarily know your full name, your nationality, your passport number or your DOB.

So when John Smith boards his flight from BKK to CNX, how is it possible for Immigration to screen his visa status?

They see 6 John Smiths on their Immigration records. 2 of them are outside of Thailand. 3 of them are within their Visa.

1 John Smith is on overstay - They have his details (Nationality, Passport Number, Name, DOB) they also have his photo on record.

On the arriving flight they stand there and look for John Smith - I guess this is why they are called Immigration 'Detectives'... when they see someone who 'looks' like John smith, they ask to see his Passport.

Next time you are walking around arrivals (domestic or international) pay attention to your surroundings - there are usually plain clothed Immigration Detectives hanging around watching... Sometimes they'll be wearing Immigration Vests, other times they are simply in plain clothes with an ID card around their neck.

It's plausible, I'll give you that.

They do exist. I vaguely know one in Had Yai and that is exactly how he describes his job title in English. He also dresses in plain clothes not a uniform. I have never discussed with him in detail what he does but he mentioned to me that he mostly works "undercover".

No doubt!

I'm also quite certain about the validity of Richard's story, considering the reality of disjointed and disparate databases being manually trawled through by law enforcement officers at will. A measure that may not have high levels of effectiveness, which nonetheless seems one of the more realistic avenues.

post-155923-0-50365300-1456387706_thumb.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

The only reason this detective debate continues is that there are serious implications with upcoming new rules re overstay. I surely hope this is not foolish scaremongering.

Fact is many of us have lived her for years. Most longer than myself. I have never heard of ONE report related to being picked up between a domestic flight and going to international or not.

Seriously how many people are on overstay and yet not ONE report. Give me a break. Put up or shut up.

• Like 1

The only reason this detective debate continues is that there are serious implications with upcoming new rules re overstay. I surely hope this is not foolish scaremongering.

Fact is many of us have lived her for years. Most longer than myself. I have never heard of ONE report related to being picked up between a domestic flight and going to international or not.

Seriously how many people are on overstay and yet not ONE report. Give me a break. Put up or shut up.

So, how would you like me to 'put up' ?

Being here a long time and not having heard of something is not evidence of its absence, rather naive and somewhat arrogant to make that assumption.

It works like this Mr Detective. If say some consulate is reluctant to issue more than say 3 consecutive setv. We hear reports about it. I could go on but you get the gist.

So tell me have YOU or anyone heard of an actual arrest. We know the answer

Lets turn this argument , discussion around.

How many internal domestic flights are there in Thailand each and every day?

So ALL passenger lists of ALL domestic flights are entered into some database, somewhere, and just perhaps maybe one overstayer is identified ( well at least someone with the same name as an overstayer)......and that person is then " spotted" leaving a plane and is what ???????? detained until they can prove they are NOT an overstayer. And how is that person

" spotted"......with a photo of the actual overstayer with a particular name, or a folder of everyone with a particular name ( like John Smith) who is believed to be in the country at the time.

So are these " detectives" ( never heard that word used in Thailand until now ---it is usually investigator) stationed at every domestic airport ???

Sounds like april fools stuff to me ...................................

• Like 1

It works like this Mr Detective. If say some consulate is reluctant to issue more than say 3 consecutive setv. We hear reports about it. I could go on but you get the gist.

Yes... I've hear these stories weekly directly from the arresting Immigration Police Officer...

Yes... I've hear these stories weekly directly from the arresting Immigration Police Officer...

And these weekly "arrests" occurring in a very public places never feature in news reports ?

Lets turn this argument , discussion around.

How many internal domestic flights are there in Thailand each and every day?

So ALL passenger lists of ALL domestic flights are entered into some database, somewhere, and just perhaps maybe one overstayer is identified ( well at least someone with the same name as an overstayer)......and that person is then " spotted" leaving a plane and is what ???????? detained until they can prove they are NOT an overstayer. And how is that person

" spotted"......with a photo of the actual overstayer with a particular name, or a folder of everyone with a particular name ( like John Smith) who is believed to be in the country at the time.

So are these " detectives" ( never heard that word used in Thailand until now ---it is usually investigator) stationed at every domestic airport ???

Sounds like april fools stuff to me ...................................

They run the passenger list against the immigration database and identify any flags...

If they have an overstayer on the flight they pick him up.

It really isn't that difficult to imagine is it ?

It really is quite easy for them to clear any 'false positives' (I.e. Guys with the same name who may have been mistakenly flagged)... Their passport will show they aren't on overstay if questioned.

And these weekly "arrests" occurring in a very public places never feature in news reports ?

Since when is an overstayer caught at an airport news?

I'll send you a PM to place your suspicious mind at rest.

I think we can safely assume that many would be settled fairly quickly with a visit to the ATM and in any case not very newsworthy any place other than this forum.

Personally I give richard_smith247 the benefit of doubt. Even with his explanation of how such checks could be made, it seems like a clumsy method of catching overstayers. But it would be possible to do so who knows. I do believe what he says and why would he make something like that up?

I have shown this thread to my neighbor! He is still laughing !

When he recovers his composure I am sure he will tell about these "detectives" !

The photo I sent you is of my friend with some of his colleagues 'Immigration Police'...

If your Neighbor who has worked 20 years in Immigration has not heard of these guys, who does he suggest the photo is of and what does he think their roll is at the airports?

I think we can safely assume that many would be settled fairly quickly with a visit to the ATM and in any case not very newsworthy any place other than this forum.

Personally I give richard_smith247 the benefit of doubt. Even with his explanation of how such checks could be made, it seems like a clumsy method of catching overstayers. But it would be possible to do so who knows. I do believe what he says and why would he make something like that up?

Indeed... There is no reason to make this up or scaremonger... I'd take no pleasure in that.

Additionally I don't really care to prove I am right, rather, I find it annoying that some would flippantly disregard something I know as fact and offer incorrect advice to those who may find themselves in a hotspot...

I'm not saying passengers lists are always checked against immigration records, what I am saying is that I have a close friend who works for the Immigration Police, he catches overstayers on domestic flights by checking the flight list against Immigration records....

Funniest pin pong game in town. Makes me almost wanna overstay fly domestic to bkk get arrested just so I can be the first to ever post that experience on thai visa.

I am definitely a skeptic. However, I can think of one possibility that could make this kind of true. There are foreigners from neighboring countries who

• have names that are more often unique than Western names;
  • have a higher percentage of overstays; and
  • are less likely to report such an experience on TV.

It could be that the "detectives" scan passenger lists of certain flights for, say, Burmese names and check those against the immigration database. I could imagine checking for illegal entry as well as overstay. I still think it will probably turn out to be uncommon, but it is possible.

By the way, one sample that would be interesting to check against would be those held at the Immigration Detention Centers. We quite often have reports from or about those who have been held there. Does anyone know if a study has ever been done showing how they were caught?

My neighbor tells me there are no "immigration" detectives !

There are people engaged in immigration intelligence who are office based in Bangkok and also Immigration Officers who are required to react to intelligence reports. There are also officers who support their police colleagues in certain circumstances and those who are charged with the random examination of passports at some airports.

Detectives ? My neighbor is still laughing !

• Like 2

There are people engaged in immigration intelligence who are office based in Bangkok and also Immigration Officers who are required to react to intelligence reports. There are also officers who support their police colleagues in certain circumstances and those who are charged with the random examination of passports at some airports.

Your neighbour describes the job my friend does... He runs the team at DM Airport. He is Immigration Police - he describes his job to me that he is an Immigration Detective - whether or not that is an official translation of his specific position maybe questionable, semantics.... He still has legal rights to question anyone at the airport (or anywhere else in Bangkok for that matter) and arrest overstayers.....

.... Whether or not the position of 'Detective' is a true translation of an existing position in the Immigration Police is not the main underlying question of this thread and the side track its taken...

Your neighbour is in agreement that Immigration Police have teams who work at the Airport and check the Passports according to intelligence they have received, or the intelligence they have themselves found.

Now that you are in agreement that there are Immigration Police who are charged with the Random examination of passports at some airports, would you agree people are also arrested for overstay at airports ????

To the OP: Your friend can be checked on a domestic flight...

Your neighbour describes the job my friend does... He runs the team at DM Airport. He is Immigration Police - he describes his job to me that he is an Immigration Detective - whether or not that is an official translation of his specific position maybe questionable, semantics.... He still has legal rights to question anyone at the airport (or anywhere else in Bangkok for that matter) and arrest overstayers.....

.... Whether or not the position of 'Detective' is a true translation of an existing position in the Immigration Police is not the main underlying question of this thread and the side track its taken...

Your neighbour is in agreement that Immigration Police have teams who work at the Airport and check the Passports according to intelligence they have received, or the intelligence they have themselves found.

Now that you are in agreement that there are Immigration Police who are charged with the Random examination of passports at some airports, would you agree people are also arrested for overstay at airports ????

To the OP: Your friend can be checked on a domestic flight...

No !

My neighbor regards the random examination of passports as a wast of time and a "soft option" deployment.

He says that very few are arrested as a result of random checks (which are not intelligence based) and believes the man/woman power involved in such checks could be better deployed.

• Like 1