3BB ADSL speeds outrageously slow at the moment?

SooKee

I did not test the speed but 3BB WLAN connection is definitely and remarkably slower since about 3-4 weeks and this on both the 590+ level and the next higher one as well (checked by a friend).

However, I would not call it "outrageous". Therefore, it doesn't depend on how much you pay.

I wonder if the internet control by the gov has an impact.

Another question: why in the same house the WLAN connection on android smartphone is always slower than on my notebook. Is this normal?

Are those speeds to connect to websites in the US? I've still got the 3bb premier program for 1167 baht a month with only 3MB download and keep thinking maybe I should switch plans but the premier plan has been reliable. Probably should find out if I can change plans and switch back if I don't like it. Anyone done that before?

You can't change back !! but I did change from the Premier plan to the 15 MB plan which is marginally cheaper anyway. And can assure you that it IS really better..much faster and fairly consistent for live streaming. This after 11 years of Premier. !!!!

I called 3BB yesterday (OK, I copped out and had the wife call- the Thai service line always gets a faster response;)) to reset my connection as it was down from 30MB to 23MB- this morning it was back up to 30MB (and they called back to say it had been done- it didn't need to chase them). I've never had any major problems with 3BB, they've always taken care of any issues within hours, and they've always called to follow-up make sure everything is working properly.

I couldn't recommend them any more highly (the same way I couldn't recommend True at all as they're the worst), and it always amazes me when people complain about their service- I'm not saying criticisms aren't justified, buy my experience has been completely different.

Edited by flare

My connection is fine most of the time. It's only been the last 4 days that it's been absolutely appalling (and once before for a few days)....to the Netherlands at least. What I really don't like about 3BB is that when something does go wrong, their only response is to send a couple of engineers to my home who run a test on speedtest.net to a Bangkok server and seem to have no technical knowledge whatsoever. They also tell outright lies. Every single night, at exactly 6pm, they start to throttle traffic (FTP downloads at any rate). If I happen to be downloading a file at that time, my speed will drop from 15.9mbps to around 3mbps. At exactly midnight, it will go back up to 15.9mbps. Despite the obvious evidence, when I mention this fact to them, they will deny it until they are blue in the face. I understand why they are limiting downloads at peak times and I can easily work around the throttling, I just hate being lied to.

Thought I'd try some more DNS changes in the router. Hasn't helped much. If at all. So far I've tried:

Auto DNS discovery

Google (8.8.8.8/4)

3BB (110.164.252.222/3)

Norton (199.85.126.10 / 199.85.127.10)

Google seems to do the best. For a while. Then locks up again. Might give 3BB a call and try and put off the clueless engineer visit.

Reading through most it seems to me what area you live.

My 3BB was OK at first being one of the first to install in my road, year or so now, up and down in strength like a yo-yo.

9.50 Mbps at best, sometimes a little over 10 Mbps which is what pay for but only 1.08 Mbps upload which does not give enough bandwidth for watching some programs I like.

The next upgrade for getting more bandwidth is more cost than " True " so going to give them a try.

Thing that's annoying me more than anything at the moment is the random cycling of complete service drops so that I have to keep turning off Wi-Fi on the phone to use a chat app it whatever as the Wi-Fi seems to just stall, suggesting a complete dropout.

It's not the router as the spare is the same. And regardless of how DNS is configured on either the router or devices. Just seems to completely stop dead and lose connection. Will definitely be calling them on Monday and won't be paying bills until they sort it. Slow speed is bad enough. No speed - no pay!!!!

Edited by SooKee

Finally cracked called them and reported the slow speeds (slow regardless of which test is used or wherever it tests to) of between 1.2 Mb to 4.1. They called back and confirmed a problem with the line. Engineers coming tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

For the past 3 months, I wake up in the morning (06:30am), turn my router on, try to connect to either CNN and or Fox via live streaming..............and receive atrocious reception.

I have contacted 3BB more than 20 times these past 3 months and within 5 minutes of completing my rant with their contact centre, I am live streaming with the 10mb's that I am paying for.

I have had their technicions to my house 5 times and everything at my home is up to standard...............3BB must be adjusting the Broadband Width hoping that no one complains!!

My next visit to their kiosk will be with coins in my hand to pat for such a substandard service.

Please tell me that I am not alone in noticing 3BB's deceptive broadband adjustments!

I got my problem sorted by showing them the evidence of the problem which, until I did, just seemed to be getting overlooked with 'tinkering' fixes.

Turned out there was a problem in the wiring from the post to the house. Having pulled up the router stats screen I could see that the downstream SNR was 1.2 - 3.1 where generally less than 6.9 would be unusable. As such I was getting maximum data transfer speeds of about 1-4 Mbps. Showing them that actually got them to do more robust testing until they isolated the source of the problem. Instead of just adjusting the gain on the line. Now I have a fixed line and an SNR of 16-18 with data transfer speed of 15 Mbps.

You may have done all this already. But the DIY research was the only thing that got them to sit up and take notice.

Edited by SooKee

Surin I pay for 30 Mb

Last Result:

Download Speed: 14200 kbps (1775 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 3415 kbps (426.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 40 ms

2/26/2016, 5:22:15 PM

hello, I guess these are speeds tested on a Thai server?

could you please use www.speedtest.net and use any EU or US server for testing and post the results?

Edited by manarak

Surin I pay for 30 Mb

Last Result:

could you please use www.speedtest.net and use any EU or US server for testing and post the results?

This is in the morning, 2 April, if that will help.

5217473904.png

post-402-0-33583000-1459557081_thumb.jpg

Surin I pay for 30 Mb

Last Result:

This is in the morning, 2 April, if that will help.

5217473904.png

wow, you got great speeds, thanks for posting.

you confirm this is the 3BB 30/5 VDSL plan? or is it fiber?

I'm on 3BB 10 meg

Ookla test - 17.46 megs of download, 1.01 of upload. Ping 19ms

17.46 ????

maybe cached speed within Thailand.

To find out your speed to the "real internet", i.e. the World Wide Web, use a server in Europe or USA for testing.

I'm on 3BB 10 meg

17.46 ????

To find out your speed to the "real internet", i.e. the World Wide Web, use a server in Europe or USA for testing.

OK - broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk

d/load - 7.86

upload - 0.78

ping - 370.

A fair bit of difference there.

(Ooklah - Where is it?)

I'm on 3BB 10 meg

17.46 ????

OK - broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk

d/load - 7.86

upload - 0.78

ping - 370.

A fair bit of difference there.

(Ooklah - Where is it?)

ooklah is a company with many testing servers over the world, their default test uses the server that you have the best ping to (i.e. the nearest), but you can select another ooklah server to use if you click on "new server", then you get a map where you can select a server.