I T Expert in Pattaya

Hel123

I'm looking for an IT guy who can recommend and install

a VOIP package onto my computer - I have a good download speed in excess of 20 - My supplier is TOT.

You dont really need anyone to do this for you.

Your internet connection should be perfectly adequate (though for VOIP upload speed is every bit as important as download speed, and other factors like jitter may be more important).

So ask yourself a couple of questions:

Do you want to use a computer headset or a regular hardware phone (cordless or corded)?

If a headset, buy a decent USB one. Maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-JUG-00014-LifeChat-LX-3000-Headset/dp/B000JSDOMO/

418MX68vg1L._SY300_.jpg

If a phone, you may have trouble finding one here but Siemens make some good DECT ones that are widely available in Europe:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=siemens+gigaset+voip

n300ipa540-1.png?width=200

The Siemens ones have the benefit of also working with your regular phone line (if you have one) so you only need one phone.

There are also many "desktop" style VOIP phones:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/store/voip-sip-phones-routers-ip-pbx/

spa303-1.png?width=200

These "desktop" style VOIP phones almost never work with your regular phone line and only provide VOIP funcitonality, but you may not care about that.

All such hardware phones will also work with your PC turned off, which may or may not be an advantage for you.

If you need more than one VOIP line, or have more than one user, then this device is absolutely splendid and very reasonably priced for what you get:

but they are designed for small office use and for most individual users they would be overkill. I have installed many of these.

The next question you need to ask is what countries/numbers will you be calling (mostly) and do you want people in those countries to be able to call you via a number that appears to be in their home country or nearby? Based on those answers you will be able to look for VOIP provider.

If you use the hardware phones described above then you wont need any software apart from an ethernet router which you probably already have. If you use a USB headset then you will need to install some free VOIP software on your PC, and whichever VOIP provider you go with will probably recommend something and explain how to configure it (which is very simple). Personally I use MicroSIP with an MS LifeChat headset which works well for me.

For Android smartphones, the app 'Zoiper' offers very good VoIP facilities.

I'm using a Gigaset VoIP phone as well.

Just recently I additionally installed a Fritz router at home. It offers VoIP too, in an excellent quality. You may connect to it by DECT handsets or by smartphones with an app.