I'm trying to fly to thailand but apparently I need a return

I just asked about this topic in another thread and was told if I was entering with a tourist visa or a visa exempt status that most likely I would not need any proof of onward travel? And also, how does this apply for the people that do border runs every 60 - 90 days. Do they have to purchase onward travel tickets every time they do border runs?! If so, that sounds horrible. Sorry for the newbie questions but I am planning on heading to Bkk soon and there is a lot of different info that makes this all very confusing.

Those with single or multiple entry visas are not required to have a ticket for onward travel although some Thai Embassy's/Consulates require such a ticket as part of their conditions associated with issuing a visa.

Those gaining entry via the visa exempt/Visa on Arrival schemes are expected to have flights out of the country and immigration officers can require (but often do not) sight of the ticket.

I just asked about this topic in another thread and was told if I was entering with a tourist visa or a visa exempt status that most likely I would not need any proof of onward travel? And also, how does this apply for the people that do border runs every 60 - 90 days. Do they have to purchase onward travel tickets every time they do border runs?! If so, that sounds horrible. Sorry for the newbie questions but I am planning on heading to Bkk soon and there is a lot of different info that makes this all very confusing.

It is the airline that may well refuse to permit you to fly if you do not have a visa or an onward ticket.

So if you have a visa no problem.

If you get to immigration it is usually no problem even if you do not have a visa.

If you have had many visa exempt entries immigration can, and sometimes will, ask for proof of onward travel.

Thanks for the reply. So since I am a US citizen and most likely will try to get a 60 day TV everytime I re-enter Thailand, I should not have this problem correct?

And, not too go way off topic but since it's all related in someway..will I easily be able to get 60 day tourist visas by the different land border run options?

Thanks again for the info.

whistling.gif All airlines that routinely fly on international routes are usually members of IATA, the organization which controls and regulates international travel by air.

Among the rules IATA has is a database of entrance requirements for travelers to foreign countries and the immigration rules that apply.

IATA member airlines are required to abide by IATA rules.

For Thailand, the IATA rules require that a incoming passenger must either have a valid Thai visa or if he or she has no Thai visa and is entering on a visa exempt entry....which certain nationalities are allowed to do....that passenger must be able to show an onward ticket out of Thailand if they have no Thai visa.

Now whether the airline will insist on enforcing that rule or not is up to the aver required to have a return irline.

Some airlines are strict with their interpretation of the rule,, some are not.

But you are never required to have a RETURN ticket, merely a onward ticket out of the country. (Thailand).

Edited by IMA_FARANG

It is the airline that may well refuse to permit you to fly if you do not have a visa or an onward ticket.

If you get to immigration it is usually no problem even if you do not have a visa.

If you have had many visa exempt entries immigration can, and sometimes will, ask for proof of onward travel.

Thanks for the reply. So since I am a US citizen and most likely will try to get a 60 day TV everytime I re-enter Thailand, I should not have this problem correct?

And, not too go way off topic but since it's all related in someway..will I easily be able to get 60 day tourist visas by the different land border run options?

Providing you obtain a tourist visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate you should not have a problem

(NOTE some Embassy's/Consulates will not issue a tourist visa unless an onward ticket is held) .

Providing you obtain a tourist visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate you should not have a problem

(NOTE some Embassy's/Consulates will not issue a tourist visa unless an onward ticket is held) .

Thanks guys!