Netflix finally blocking VPN's?

Ludacris

Just tried to play something on Netflix from my Roku3 and got "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy" error. Tried resetting and can't get around it. Never had that problem in two years.

Netflix still works from my desktop, so at this point I'm not sure if it's the Roku or the VPN.

Anyone else having a problem?

I just found this article that came out yesterday so it's looks like the crackdown really has started.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/26/netflix-crackdown-on-vpn-services-has-begun/

My desktop and the Roku are on the same VPN, but I wonder why Netflix is only blocking the Roku. I'm curious how they're actually doing the blocking since it looks like their not blocking IP addresses. There's even a report on that webpage from someone who had set-up a private DNS that is also blocked. Everything else on my Roku is working so I don't think it has a problem, it must be from Netflix.

I wonder how many millions of people will be cancelling their subscriptions soon.

So far so good, Netflix last night still working, but have many problems often loose it, much more reliable on my iPad and iMac, problem one is my apple tV but last night still working ok

I can stream from my iPad to apple tv also Ok but can not stream from my mac book to apple tv, no logic to this

I use express VPN with dynamic DNS for the Apple TV

Are they beginning to block the apple HBO as well, any info appreciated, what about HULU

Wonder how Express VPN works. I used that last Sept in Thailand. BTW, Netflix Thailand is bound to be limited in offerings. Like Turner Classic Movies in the Middle East--they have about 100 titles that they rotate endlessly. I know that's a traditional channel, not a streaming network, but you get the idea. Due to contracts, copyrights, etc. etc. the foreign versions of US TV networks have fewer programming choices. I also use Sling when traveling internationally. Slling charges $20 a month to stream about 20 basic cable channels: CNN, HGTV, History2, etc. A welcome respite from Al Jazeera, Fox and the politically correct BBC

Edited by Dustdevil

Wonder how Express VPN works. I used that last Sept in Thailand. BTW, Netflix Thailand is bound to be limited in offerings. Like Turner Classic Movies in the Middle East--they have about 100 titles that they rotate endlessly. I know that's a traditional channel, not a streaming network, but you get the idea. Due to contracts, copyrights, etc. etc. the foreign versions of US TV networks have fewer programming choices.

netflix thailand is not limited that much. I subscribed a month ago and there are heaps of new releases even in 1 month. I read an article claiming it will all be globally the same at some point.

I think the content is excellent and will be paying the cheap monthly fee for a long time to come.

Lots of online advisories about the streaming services implementing VPN blocking along with discussions of how they do it (there are different types of VPNs, some more easily detected and some more easily blocked than others). As others have pointed out, Netflix now allows international streaming to I think 140 countries, so use of a VPN to get around regional restrictions is no longer necessary. Since you're talking about a Roku3 (which has no VPN client/capability), I gather the VPN you must be talking about is one that's implemented on your router rather than individually on your networked devices. Do you have a choice of VPN Server? Can you choose from a list in various locations? (One simple blocking method is for the streaming service to simply blacklist/block known commercial VPN services' servers.). You might try experimenting with different types of VPN (esp. OpenVPN) and different servers if you can.

Oh, and assuming your VPN IS implemented on your router, you might be able to put your Roku3 on some sort of exclusion list that causes its traffic to NOT be tunneled thru the VPN (so Netflix doesn't complain).

Edited by hawker9000

The latest Roku netflix app's have a forced DNS lookup. You need to to get a ddwrt router which will allow you to run a script that gets around the problem.

This FAQ from Unotelly will point you in the right direction

http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/192836-why-do-i-need-to-block-public-dns-lookups-

You don't necessarily need DDWRT - many router will let you set up static routes for the IPs. I do the same thing on a Netgear router.

A friend had the same problem - using a VPN. Disabled the VPN and all worked fine (Netflix is now supported in Thailand and a VPN is not required).

Yes but you have a very limited choice compared to U.S. or Canada

I use Strong Vpn and still works,

Thanks for all the replies.

I would really like to keep the US Netflix because it has way more content than the Thai version. Even friends in Canada use the US version.

My Roku is actually connected to my desktop with a dual-LAN motherboard. I'm running the VPN on Windows, and the VPN connection is shared with the Roku. Is there some way to set up the static ip routes with connection sharing in Windows7?

I'm using StrongVPN and if the problem is the updated Netflix app on the Roku using forced DNS lookup it I'm guessing changing servers won't help.

That also explains why my desktop browser is still working fine, and I've got my computer connected to my TV now.

In response to the myblackbox.tv that uses 3rd party apps to stream everything for free, I don't really don't mind paying $10 a month for all the content Netflix has, and it's an easy way to support the people who created the shows and avoid pirating.

Netflix doesn't appear to care where your account is. If I access it without a VPN, I get the Thai version. If I connect to a VPN server in a different country, I get their version.

I use Kodi too - I've used it for years. It's great, but it isn't the last word in TV like some people make out.