Where to buy entry level (Hybrid?) bike - Chiang Mai (56cm frame)

SooKee

Interested in buying a bike for general purpose use (road, leisure, fitness, (rarely) dirt track and touring etc) and, knowing little about bikes other than they have 2 pedals, a chain and 2 wheels, I'm not really sure where to start. Have done a bit of research, including browsing this forum, and figure that for my needs a hybrid might be better. I'm not into serious mountain or downhill so I figure an MTB would be pointless, esp with the extra weight of the suspension etc. I prefer a more upright and comfortable riding position (not into back breaking arched over distance and speed records) so I think a full-on road bike would not be suitable either. I also don't want to break the bank on this as it'll be for occasional use. 15-20K I suppose would be OK. I don't mind used either, PROVIDED it's a good one.

I've had a look round a few shops in CM so far but as it was before I'd done much research it was a pretty pointless exercise really. One thing I did notice though, I'm 6'03" with 34" inside leg so I gather I'd need a 56cm frame. All the stock in the shops I saw was very small and none of them had a frame size that I'd consider correct. So that's the first problem, where to look. I need a place that can sell me what I need, not just what they have.

Next thing is brands / models available in Thailand. No point in looking at bikes that I can't get here. I'd also want a brand that had some availability of parts etc and preferably bought from a dealer locally (might be a problem if they don't have or can't order the frame size) that could do any modifications or servicing that I didn't want to, or couldn't, do myself. I wouldn't mind a local brand if it's of good enough quality either. Not really interested in Chinese stuff. From what I've looked at, Trek seems to be good enough and I quite like the look of the FX 7.2. Any others, that are available in Thailand, to recommend?

I suppose I could buy from elsewhere in Thailand and get it shipped here IF the place was reliable and the service good. Price might also be better too. Trouble is, no opportunity to try or even sit on them if going postal. Better to do that when you know 100% what you want beforehand, unless that is, you have no choice. I know of the Jacky Bike shop, I've heard of Cherry and understand there is a place that does used near Mae Jo. Question is, do they have 56cm frames :(

Any thoughts appreciated. Guessing I'm on the right track with a hybrid though? Considered a road bike but figured not to good for a leisurely cruise around and stopping to take pics.

Edited by SooKee

Looking a bit more, seems the Specialized Sirrus and Bianchi Camaleonte would be the FX 7.2 equivalents. Friend of mine has a Jamis that he's happy with too, but no longer stocked where he bought it (ARM I think). Would be interesting to see which, if any, of these, if they are all priced around the same in Europe, are better priced within Thailand. All for getting more bang for my buck!!

Saw some positive comments about the Tommo Bike and Chaithawat stores. Less than glowing comments about Jacky and ARM.

defo an Hybrid for me

the width of the road tyres on the average road bike means that Around pattaya at least if you are not careful you can end up in a grId

The road tyres on my bike 700 X 32

Haro 19" 29er flightline

Great value can be bought with big MTB tyres or smaller semi road type tyres( I have both) on my Haro 29er size 16"

Had mine now over three years and only had to change the tyres cassette and chain and used every week, possibly done in all the time aver 7000 ks

Edited by n210mp

Have the opportunity to buy a Bianchi C-Sport Cross Man 24 for a discounted price but it's got to be shipped from BKK: http://www.bianchi.com/global/bikes/bikes_detail.aspx?rangeIDMaster=267488&categoryIDMaster=267491&bikeIDMaster=268149

Trouble is for my first new foray into biking I was hoping to get to at least sit on what I plan to buy to check the fit. The one they have I think is the 'L' size which, while they seem to think will be fine (or they just want to sell it) in light of the effective top tube length (590), sounds like it may be WAY too small for me on the CT size which Bianchi lists as 510 and yet the measurements site I used says I need 610!!!

Bit risky I think, buying first bike unseen / untried. It's classed by Bianchi as a City / Trek bike and has the front suspension which I guess can be locked of, think I'd rather not have it though. Not sure how this would stack against the Trek FX 7.2 or the Specialzed Sirrus. Biggest problem will be finding a place with the bikes in the right size!!!

Have a look here https://goo.gl/maps/TKu7TAS4dQz

The Google pic doesn't look much and unless there's another bicycle shop next door, the farang co-owner of this shop builds up reliable bikes to order.

Can only second this; especially the workshop makes a highly competent impression on me (as a two-wheeler engineer). It's my new favourite bike parts shop now.

For new bikes we prefer Chaithawat due to their wide selection of reasonably equipped and best-priced bikes; bought more than 10 bikes there yet, never disappointed.

Chaitawat is a good shop but sometimes you have to visit a bunch of shops to see what is in stock. what you are looking for could be in Chaitawat, Velocity, Arm, Jackie, Cherry etc. Stock comes and goes. Most shops can order what you need and if it's in Bangkok it won't take long to arrive. I would be tempted to go for a 29er MTB (if you can find a suitable one) . You only need to swap out the fat tyres for narrower road touring tyres and it's a "hybrid" . Two bikes in one.

Don't rule out a road bike. You don't spend much time bent over, but ride with your hands on the brake covers. Don't buy a 29er mtb if you're not going off road. I have one, I bought road tyres for it. It's heavy. I love it for XC off road riding. On road it's a drag. Jacky Bikes normally stock Trek 56+ frames. They"ll bring them down stairs from their stock room for you to try. Try to talk to their mechanic, he's friendly & speaks enough English. Chaitawat sell Merida. They wont let you sit on one unless you promise to buy it! If you plan to ride lots of hills & aren't very fit, get the hybrid with mtb style gears, Otherwise get a roadbike. Trek 1.1 from Jacky bikes or order online from nearer BKK to save some money. Also, there's a facebook page for secondhand bikes in Chiang Mai to consider.

Thanks. Won't be going off road. Certainly not seriously off road anyway. Canal towpath style dirt track will be the most challenging and even then not too often.

Road bike I'm not so keen on as I'm using the bike for leisure as opposed to fitness. I use dedicated gym and run sessions for fitness so cycling fitness will be an ancillary benefit. So the posture and comfort for touring is perhaps more important for me. Not interested in back, neck, arm or shoulder pain. Like I say. I use the gym for fitness.

Interesting to hear about Chaitawat. I thought they were ProBike / Trek too? Not interested in the try if you buy approach. My response is I'll shop somewhere else. I understand they don't want time wasters but if they can't even be asked to check that what you may buy is sized correct I can't be bothered to shop there. I've seen a lot of folks rave about this place but I've heard these "can't be asked" comments before too.

Will try Jacky tomorrow. Gonna pass on the Bianchi. Too much risk. Will pass on the 29er too. But equally I think a road bike isn't for me.

or you could try one of the local manufacturers, eg teambike or LA. I don't know much about them, but at the pricepoint, probably competitive. Parts will be the same from a servicing standpoint.

Size is your challenge.

Personal opinion, and I know you've dismissed it smile.png ... I'd suggest considering the 29er option.

Don't rule out a road bike. You don't spend much time bent over, but ride with your hands on the brake covers. Don't buy a 29er mtb if you're not going off road. I have one, I bought road tyres for it. It's heavy. I love it for XC off road riding. On road it's a drag. Jacky Bikes normally stock Trek 56+ frames. They"ll bring them down stairs from their stock room for you to try. Try to talk to their mechanic, he's friendly & speaks enough English. Chaitawat sell Merida. They wont let you sit on one unless you promise to buy it! If you plan to ride lots of hills & aren't very fit, get the hybrid with mtb style gears, Otherwise get a roadbike. Trek 1.1 from Jacky bikes or order online from nearer BKK to save some money. Also, there's a facebook page for secondhand bikes in Chiang Mai to consider.

I've moved from a mountain bike to a "cyclocross" bike (road frame, more or less, and drop handlebars, but disc brakes) and I've not ripped my record book up.

What I would say is that the mountain bike (hard tail) was not significantly more comfortable on rough road surfaces. But always having your hands on the brakes, good braking force transmission through your arms, being able to look about, steer, brake and change gear all at the same time made riding easier and safer. I liked the hydraulic disc brakes as well.

I find the cyclocross bike more comfortable and easier for long rides >> 70 km. I reckon I should have bought a bybrid, and if I don't grow into it, I think in a year or two I will put a flat handlebar on my cyclocross bike.

SC

or you could try one of the local manufacturers, eg teambike or LA. I don't know much about them, but at the pricepoint, probably competitive. Parts will be the same from a servicing standpoint.

Size is your challenge.

Personal opinion, and I know you've dismissed it smile.png ... I'd suggest considering the 29er option.

My Mondraker mountain bike was made in Thailand, according to the stamp on the plate on the bottom bracket

I've moved from a mountain bike to a "cyclocross" bike (road frame, more or less, and drop handlebars, but disc brakes) and I've not ripped my record book up.

What I would say is that the mountain bike (hard tail) was not significantly more comfortable on rough road surfaces. But always having your hands on the brakes, good braking force transmission through your arms, being able to look about, steer, brake and change gear all at the same time made riding easier and safer. I liked the hydraulic disc brakes as well.

I find the cyclocross bike more comfortable and easier for long rides >> 70 km. I reckon I should have bought a bybrid, and if I don't grow into it, I think in a year or two I will put a flat handlebar on my cyclocross bike.

SC

Interesting. Cheers. Going to have a look at Jacky Bikes tomorrow and hopefully a Trek FX, in the right size!!

If I was forced rolleyes.gif to get a hybrid, I'd go for something with a bit more capability. The road situation is too compromised - except if you really need/want an upright posture.

I'd stick with 700cc wheels, but look for [hydraulic] disc brakes for better wet/dirt control and MTB gearing for those steep climbs. [Oh, I'd like a 10sp cassette please]. Probably an air fork to take the sting out of potholes, make dirt descents more fun. For rear suspension on a hardtail, use your legs. Something like a Giant Roam or similar. [Or a 29er with 700 wheels biggrin.png ]

But it will be more expensive than an FX7.2.....

OP, don't forget our sponsor Bicycle Addict http://bicycle-addict.com/1en/abike/type_4city.html

He stocks Fuji hybrids.

Cheers. Is that a good brand? No idea much about bike brands albeit I've heard of Trek, Bianchi, Canondale, Cube, Specialized etc from when I bought a MTB years ago (which is now in Malaysia).

Using a Trek FX as a base line, any idea how a Fuji stacks up against them. VERY quick look at the website shows a Fuji Absolute 1.7D (which I THINK is a hybrid, albeit a Trek v Fuji comparison I also just quickly checked, which might be out of date, and as it's 2015 it might well be, lists the Fuji hybrid as a Crosstown which I don't see on the site) at around 21K, so the first thing noticeable is the 6k price diff, which I'm OK with IF it's money well spent. Have to be careful with my 'a little knowledge can be a bad thing' but I can quickly see that it has discs front and rear and EZ shifters.

Edited by SooKee

If I was forced rolleyes.gif to get a hybrid, I'd go for something with a bit more capability. The road situation is too compromised - except if you really need/want an upright posture.

I'd stick with 700cc wheels, but look for [hydraulic] disc brakes for better wet/dirt control and MTB gearing for those steep climbs. [Oh, I'd like a 10sp cassette please]. Probably an air fork to take the sting out of potholes, make dirt descents more fun. For rear suspension on a hardtail, use your legs. Something like a Giant Roam or similar. [Or a 29er with 700 wheels biggrin.png ]

But it will be more expensive than an FX7.2.....

Ah, think I misread this. Thought you were talking about a hard tail description. Things like the disc brakes and air forks sound like they make sense, but like I say, I've NOOOOOOO idea what I'm talking about 5555, and in that respect the Fuji Traverse sounds to be quite good. Has both from what I can tell. I do really want the upright position as it'll mostly be used for leisure cruising, anything else really will be ancillary. The Fuji Traverse looks to be well priced too and the shop is 5 mins from home. Off to have a look now. Then Jacky Bike I think. Fingers crossed on the frame sizes being in stock.

Looks like I'll be going for a Trek FX 7.4. 20" frame. Expected I'd need a 22.5 or even 25 but with the length of the top tube on those found I was too bent over. The 20" with saddle adjusted has enough leg length and the reach is not too great to the handlebars.

Went to Jacky Bike. Service was fine and Jacky also thought the 22.5 was too big. Let alone the 25. 22.5 ok for a more leaned over riding style. They had the 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 in stock. But for the extra 5k the 7.4 seems to have a better spec with carbon forks. Like the Orange colour too :) Pick it up in a few days.

Went to the Bike Addict place. Nice guy. Looked at the bikes. Quite liked the bike I mentioned above but not keen on the dull grey colour. No stock either of the right size and nobody picking up at the supplier end.

Edited by SooKee

Nice SooKee! Enjoy your ride. Your move to 7.4 has a few very worthwhile drivetrain upgrades as well.

And then there's the colour!!

5555. Yah. Cheers. When they said they only had orange in the 20" 7.4 I thought yuk. No way la. Then I saw another model in orange and thought ahhhh. Actually - that's nice :)

I was REALLY surprised with the frame size though. Thought I'd definitely need a 22. I tried a Trek Marlin at another shop though. That was 21 and I did feel stretched on it. Not much. But it wasn't comfortable. Then I tried a Fuji 19" and that felt better. Despite being 190cm tall with a 90cm cycling inseam.

I was still sort of convinced I needed 22 at Jacky Bike. For them it was no odds as they had to order anyway and had all the sizes available. But the 20, bearing in mind it's slightly bigger than the Fuji 19 felt ideal. He did say you COULD go to 22 but you would be hunched over a bit more. Bearing in mind there was no seat drop with that set up, a and it still had a lot of seat height adjustment available I decided to go with the 20.

I notice on the Trek size chart that 190 is only just in to the 22" (the biggest they make the 7.4) and, I guess more importantly, the effective top tube length of it at 57 is spot on with what one of the more comprehensive sizing sites say I need. Given that that site also suggests that out of all the measurements, if you pay attention to just one, ETTL is THE most important one to worry about, what with the myriad of different geometry types available, I shouldn't be worried about whether I've gone too small. Guess it's also a personal taste and comfort thing to despite the chart saying I'm probably edged into the 22 frame size. He did say in the shop, if it looked wrong and was clearly unsuitable we'd say but it's a close thing so now it's just down to preference.

Edited by SooKee

I saw a lot about Jacky Bike on the forum which put me off going a bit but found them to be really helpful and chatty. I speak Thai though so maybe that's it.

Sill can't get my head round how a 20" is right for me. But they did say when it comes (likely tomorrow), if you think it's too small. No problem. Maybe then go for a 22" 7.2, or order a 22" 7.4 but maybe need to wait.

His view though was that the 22 might have me lean too far forward causing neck pain if done for too long. Especially as I tried a 19 there and even found that comfortable.

Hmmm. So it all went a BIT pear shaped. But, sorted now.

Turns out, the 20" was too small :( I was really convinced that it wasn't first time round, hence I kept going back over the Trek sizing charts again and again which put my 190cm height right in the bracket for the 22.5" frame. The 20" I think might have been almost big enough and MAYBE even do-able but it seemed a better idea to go for a 22.5. Sadly though, no 7.4 to be had ANYWHERE in 22.5". I did manage to find a 7.3 in matte black in a 22.5" for 15,800 from Chaitawit who's service I was very impressed with. So that's what I went with.

Prior to Chaitawit I did try iBike on the 108 near Hangdong food market. As has been mentioned in other threads though, no prices on anything there and all they could offer was a Merida Crossway 100 at 23,800 in a 22" which seemed a bit steep, again, nothing to try close to it though to see if it might be right. So, a case of pay a deposit, order. What if it doesn't fit though? Tough I guess. Pass.

So all sorted again, thankfully. At least deep down though I'm happier with the frame size of the 7.3 and won't constantly have that niggling feeling I bought too small. Closer to my initial plans price wise too.

• 3 weeks later...

It is difficult to get larger sized bikes in Thailand. Your best bet is to go and see Fred at Bicycle Addict. He has a very wide range of bikes in store and his prices are reasonable - lower than other shops. Whats more he knows what he's selling. Active Bikes is located on the Samoeng Road - Go to the traffic light junction on Canal Road where it joins Samoeng road (Malada is on the corner on the right); Turn right up Samoeng for about 1.5 kilometres and you'll find Bicycle Addict's yellow sign and his shop on the right hand side. Best of luck.

Edited by ianf