Fire-damaged British Airways jet leaves Vegas for paint job

rooster59

So why say it should be scrapped and you'll never fly on a 777 again? Surely your knowledge would argue with your first comment? What on earth is going on inside your head?

Probably different shit than is going on in yours.

Brylcream must have seeped through your skull, stop using it ! lololol

Seriously I have to get going... No offence to anyone intended. It's said that people with a sense if humour lead happier lives. (and yes Don, very wide off the mark! My bad...) Cheers...

yes you have embarrassed yourself.

"Remind me never to fly with BA on a Boeing 777."

This means that he would fly with BA on a different plane

It also means he would fly on a 777 with a different airline.

very basic english comprehension that you failed at.

Embarrassed myself... How? Btw... my flight was fine and I'm in my hotel in Bkk now.

Eh? Did he say what? "It should be scrapped", yes. "I'll never fly with BA on a 777 again", yes. Now tell me how u go about choosing which aircraft you fly on is done! 777's are not actually exclusive to BA.

Sorry to see your comprehensive reading skills are not very high.

Have a good day.

You didn't answer my question. How... can... you... choose... the... model... of... aircraft... you... fly...on... when... you...buy... your... ticket?

An Emirates 777 is the same as a BA 777...

You can't read. He never said he is not flying 777 again, he said he was not flying BA 777 again. So no flying BA means also no flying BA 777.

And scrapping clearly referred to this one particular aircraft.

And now back to bed.

Yes, but if you know anything about aircraft you know that you don't scrap a multi million dollar aircraft when it can easily be repaired.

In addition to the repairs, anyone who knows anything about aircraft knows that they go through major strip downs for a major service, re-skinning and airframe distressing are not a lot different to what this 777 will have undergone.

Engine changes occur frequently as the engine servicing schedule is different to that of the airframe.

If the OP is concerned about that engine type he might need to stretch his concerns to other airlines with aircraft of that vintage, This from the article:

About 400 base GE90 engines are being used to power 167 aircraft worldwide, according to the company.

400 engines, so I'd like to wish you the best of luck avoiding those!!

Remind me never to fly with BA on a Boeing 777.

After a major fire like happened to that plane it should have been scrapped.

I'm sure both BA and Boeing will note your authoritive input, and scrap the aircraft

immediately.

I'll remind you never to fly with BA ever again, because you don't know if it will be a B777 or other aircrFt type, and if you did, aircraft types are often substituted due to logidtical requirements.

Don't travel BA!!! Better include any airline operating those engines, and there another !57 aircraft with them installed. How's walking from London to Banhkok looking?

Edited by F4UCorsair

Colinneill... Do u have much experience in aviation engineering? I think not. Also, when u book your ticket, you aren't given the option of which model u would like to fly on!!!! Lol...

Yes i have ex RAF aircraft mechanical electrical.

So i do know a little about the subject ok.

I would agree with you. You have little knowledge of the subject.

While I know nothing about the specifics of this event it is correct that some "repair to as new" cases in the past have led to tragedy. For example, the China Airlines 747 , operating as CI 611, had been repaired incorrectly/poorly with a 'doubler' , which failed in flight leading to the break-up of the aircraft over the South China Sea. That particular plane was on its last CI flight as it had been sold and was being delivered to Orient Thai.

Thai aviation dodged a bullet on that one but the 230 who died did so as a direct consequence of a poor repair in the US.

Similarly the Japan Airlines 747 that crashed in the mountains outside Tokyo had had a tail strike repair done incorrectly. More than 500 dead.

Still I would fly the BA plane.

I am a retired BA captain and I flew the B777 for the last six years of my flying career. The model that BA uses on the BKK route is the 777 ER (Extended Range) which has Rolls Royce engines.

I only had one engine blow up on take off and that was a B737-200 at Glasgow one snowing night in February. The engine was a Pratt and Whitney JT8D.

While I know nothing about the specifics of this event it is correct that some "repair to as new" cases in the past have led to tragedy. For example, the China Airlines 747 , operating as CI 611, had been repaired incorrectly/poorly with a 'doubler' , which failed in flight leading to the break-up of the aircraft over the South China Sea. That particular plane was on its last CI flight as it had been sold and was being delivered to Orient Thai.

Thai aviation dodged a bullet on that one but the 230 who died did so as a direct consequence of a poor repair in the US.

Similarly the Japan Airlines 747 that crashed in the mountains outside Tokyo had had a tail strike repair done incorrectly. More than 500 dead.

I think "repaired incorrectly " tells the story. If it is not your personal possession and you have not repaired it yourself you rely on other people's integrity.

Colinneill... Do u have much experience in aviation engineering? I think not. Also, when u book your ticket, you aren't given the option of which model u would like to fly on!!!! Lol...

No wonder GB is in debt after having to scrap all those RAF a/c with problems. Was that your job to scrap them'

That's a daft comment. Maybe take a look at how much debt the USA and other Western countries have - what's their excuses? Edited by eaglesflight

And the thousands of other aircraft that have had major repairs?? They're still flying years after the event.

Eh? Did he say what? "It should be scrapped", yes. "I'll never fly with BA on a 777 again", yes. Now tell me how u go about choosing which aircraft you fly on is done! 777's are not actually exclusive to BA.

Have a good day.

You didn't answer my question. How... can... you... choose... the... model... of... aircraft... you... fly...on... when... you...buy... your... ticket?

BA 777-200 = GE engine.

Emirates 777-200 = RR engine.

I case you forgot, a RR engine has also burst into flames. I think it was on a 380. Better not fly a 380 again with RR engines.

I've been listening to Brits yammer about their RR engines since 1975 when somebody reminded me the Mustang WWII fighter had RR engines. So it did. You can't let go, can you? And somebody else clearly indicates that American engines aren't any good and repairs are done incompetently in the U.S. If that were generally the case, US skies wouldn't have the the world's best safety record. We're talking about thousands and thousands of domestic flights a day.

Well it was the engine that gave out so perhaps that should be put on your list too.

Also didn't Qantas repair an old 747-400 costing 100million$, more than the aircraft was worth, solely to keep a record intact?

Add them too!

BA have a pretty good safety record, and I believe their judgements on safety can be trusted here.

Have a good day.

The aircraft type is listed when I am making my bookings, so beyond unscheduled substitution one can select!

Anyhow, colinneil said he would avoid BA-777s, very easily achieved.... although one day he may end up on one they sold on!

Have a good day.

BA 777-200 = GE engine.

Emirates 777-200 = RR engine.

I case you forgot, a RR engine has also burst into flames. I think it was on a 380. Better not fly a 380 again with RR engines.

Ive never flown an a 380.