Retirement Extension. No rental contract. Staying long term in hotel.

Hi all, what is the current situation at Jomtien immigration regarding proof of address re: staying in hotel with no rental contract?

I have been at the same address for a few years now and immigration have always been happy with a letter from the hotel owner and a few receipts but I know things can change, which is why I am asking.

I have no formal rental contract. I pay month to month (so I can move quickly if a new condo begins to be built next door or a late night karaoke bar etc opens)

Simon

Edited by Simon1287

Ok, just got back from Jomtien immigration after attempting to do my 5th (ish) retirement extension.

I showed them one years rental receipts and indicated I had another 3 years with me but the firm but polite reply was something along the lines of "it would not matter if you have 100 years receipts. We want to see a rental contract"

What's next?

Simon

Edited by Simon1287

Ok, just got back from Jomtien immigration after attempting to do my 5th (ish) retirement extension.

I showed them one years rental receipts and indicated I had another 3 years with me but the firm but polite reply was something along the lines of "it would not matter if you have 100 years receipts. We want to see a rental contract"

What's next?

Simon

Are you sure the place you stay is a hotel which do not usually charge "rent" ?

Rental receipts would tend to suggest you are living in rented accommodation not a hotel who would provide a Bill written on headed paper which would not mention the word "rent".

Seems you will have to obtain a rental contract

edit

removal of typo.

Edited by sunnyjim5

Yes, it's a something like 80 room hotel in South Pattaya.

When I say rental receipts I mean I pay the hotel every month at the reception desk and they give me a receipt from their receipt pad with their name on it.

Have been doing the same for years and extending at Jomtien every year at the same address.

Simon

Yes, it's a something like 80 room hotel in South Pattaya.

When I say rental receipts I mean I pay the hotel every month at the reception desk and they give me a receipt from their receipt pad with their name on it.

Have been doing the same for years and extending at Jomtien every year at the same address.

Simon

Sorry to push the issue but did the "hotel" ever inform immigration of your residency using a TM30?

It seems very likely they did I think but that is not the problem.

The chap checking my paperwork did not do anything but check my paperwork. He never even touched a computer, so he would not have had had no idea if the hotel had informed them or not.

He asked for my rental contract and would not budge.

This is after 5 years of renewing from same address and them checking computers every time (except this one, so far)

Simon

The chap checking the paperwork was a young man sitting beside the desk where the same Thai uniformed man has been there doing the retirement extensions for years. I was sitting directly across the desk from the the uniformed Thai man but he was far too busy to look up or I may have said something, though I think he heard what was occurring and said nothing.

It seems very likely they did I think but that is not the problem.

The chap checking my paperwork did not do anything but check my paperwork. He never even touched a computer, so he would not have had had no idea if the hotel had informed them or not.

He asked for my rental contract and would not budge.

This is after 5 years of renewing from same address and them checking computers every time (except this one, so far)

Simon

If the "hotel" informed immigration of you being resident as a "hotel guest" they will have a record/receipt of having done so.

I could be missing the point here but I did say the young man did not check whether or not I was on the computer at all.

The only relevant point here is that he checked my paperwork, made no use whatever of a computer, saw I had no rental contract and it was game over for now until I get one.

He did not care if I was on the computer or not. No rental contract = no visa extension

I could be missing the point here but I did say the young man did not check whether or not I was on the computer at all.

The only relevant point here is that he checked my paperwork, made no use whatever of a computer, saw I had no rental contract and it was game over for now until I get one.

He did not care if I was on the computer or not. No rental contract = no visa extension

OK !

At least you now know you have to ask the hotel for a rental contract --------------

Why don't you ask your hotel to provide you with a rental contract, a contract that allows you to leave should you want to move on without being tied to giving any period of notice

Yes :)

Just been discussing that with them. Waiting to hear what they say.

Will immigration accept a monthly contract or will they need one for at least the length of the visa extension I wonder. lol

The young man did say something like they won't accept rent receipts any longer as people can just leave the hotel tomorrow, whereas with a rent contract they cannot.

As probably half the contracts they see are probably just made up I doubt that very much.

I tried to argue, politely, but it was no good.

I have the very greatest respect for the boys and girls and Jomtien immigration. They do a wonderful job under very trying circumstances. It's just a shame they have to enforce some rather odd rules at times.

Simon

Karlo, just saw you post. Yes, that is the current plan, though after what the chap said to me at Jomtien re: reason for not accepting receipts, I am wondering if that will be good enough.

I may well find out soon though. lol

Simon

Arranging a contract now for them to sign so it may yet be sorted lol,

A month to month one which I hope will satisfy immigration but I still have time to do another one if not.

Eclipse: Usually yes but I have such a good rate on this room that it probably beats most prices of equal condos etc

It's really two rooms, and the balcony is huge (27 square metres)

In the heart of South Pattaya yet totally quiet up here on the top floor.

Total rooms and balcony around 80 sq metres. Suits me fine. :)

Simon

Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum length of time in the rental contract they require? I will go with a month to month one tomorrow and see if that works. If not, I will ask what they do require.

It would be nice to have a heads up before I go if anyone knows for sure the month to month is no good though. :)

Simon

This is bad to hear because in general this is how I do rent a room when I stay for my one or two month holidays and I was expecting to do a similar thing when I "retire" there. I don't want to get locked in to long term leases and as the OP said, I would want to be flexible in case the neighbors are just too noisy, karaoke bar opens, hotel service goes to crap, etc. Month to month was my plan. Sounds like some folks at Jomtien immigration have a different viewpoint.

Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum length of time in the rental contract they require? I will go with a month to month one tomorrow and see if that works. If not, I will ask what they do require.

It would be nice to have a heads up before I go if anyone knows for sure the month to month is no good though. smile.png

Simon

A simple standard rental agreement will be accepted. They sell blank ones in stationary and book shops. One that is month to month will be accepted.

Just back from immigration. All sorted.

Month to month rental contract signed by the hotel boss was fine.

Once I had that everything fell into place.

Is there a better bunch of government office workers anywhere? I have yet to meet them if there are.

Simon

• Like 1