Cobra takes stand in Phuket bathroom

rooster59

Cobra takes stand in Phuket bathroom

Kongleaphy Keam

post-247607-0-43409500-1456581043_thumb.

The mature cobra measured about two meters in length. After putting up a fight, it was eventually bundled into a sack and released in the wild. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: It was fright night yesterday for a woman in Phuket Town when she was confronted by a two-meter-long cobra that had taken up residence in her bathroom.

The woman entered the room at about 11:30pm without switching on the light. In the darkness, she heard a slithering and hissing sound behind her. When she did turn the light on, she was shocked to see the large cobra with its head raised, in a striking position.

She fled to a neighbor’s house and telephoned the Kusoldharm Foundation for help. Rescue workers and snake catcher Watchara Srikacha arrived on the scene, a residence on Poonpon Road Soi 5, to deal with the deadly reptile.

“It took us about 10 minutes to catch the snake,” said Mr Watchara.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Cobra-takes-stand-Phuket-bathroom/63269?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-27

My wife and I almost walked on a Pit Viper last week, four days prior to this a (what seemed to be a) Malayan banded krait moved slowly into the direction of my wife's feet....both snakes were not aggressive and we could take pictures without getting to close.

Asia and Thailand in particular are dangerous places....if you are not aware of your environment.

I have to say, in my 20 + years i never saw a Banded krait or Malaysian Pit Viper in the wild and now I saw both of them in one week....

Regards. Off Road Pat

post-218873-0-23804400-1456584886_thumb.

post-218873-0-22468600-1456585409_thumb.

post-218873-0-00587600-1456585652_thumb.

post-218873-0-74509100-1456586337_thumb.

Here in South East Asia it comes with the territory,so just remember where you are.Switch on the lights in the hung nam or kitchen when ever at night or evening.If this was a King Cobra then look for other cobras in the area because

cobras and snakes is what it was looking for around your property as that is what it eats.

There are a number of dangerous creatures in Thailand. It makes me crazy when the wife or kids move around in the dark.....I bought them all flashlights to carry and use. Still they don't use them. Wife is starting to use a flashlight. We live in Wyoming where there is little danger except for spiders.

There are a number of dangerous creatures in Thailand. It makes me crazy when the wife or kids move around in the dark.....I bought them all flashlights to carry and use. Still they don't use them. Wife is starting to use a flashlight. We live in Wyoming where there is little danger except for spiders.

coming from earthquake country in the USA I acquired a flashlight "fetish".

When I got my first scooter here in Thailand, my Thai girlfriend was amazed when I put a small first aid kit together along with rain ponchos, flashlight, basic tools and gloves to stash under the seat.

"you think to get rain jacket for me? thank you" now i can't get rid of her. :)

My wife and I almost walked on a Pit Viper last week, four days prior to this a (what seemed to be a) Malayan banded krait moved slowly into the direction of my wife's feet....both snakes were not aggressive and we could take pictures without getting to close.

Asia and Thailand in particular are dangerous places....if you are not aware of your environment.

I have to say, in my 20 + years i never saw a Banded krait or Malaysian Pit Viper in the wild and now I saw both of them in one week....

Regards. Off Road Pat

Beautiful pictures beautiful snakes glad they lived to enjoy another day. Well done.

coming from earthquake country in the USA I acquired a flashlight "fetish".

When I got my first scooter here in Thailand, my Thai girlfriend was amazed when I put a small first aid kit together along with rain ponchos, flashlight, basic tools and gloves to stash under the seat.

"you think to get rain jacket for me? thank you" now i can't get rid of her. :)

LMAO... That'll learn ya... And great Thai - farang relationship advise to boot ?

Is there any snake experts on the forum that may explain higher sightings of snakes... Or is it just that we live in a jungle?

A few years ago, I had a three meter viper of some description trapped in my dunny.... When the local snake wrangler looked in, then ran off yelling "devil, devil" , I admit to becoming a little apprehensive

Luckily we managed to talk him back inside, armed with a big stick... Don't know if that one was released or barbecued... But I suspect the later.

Regards. Off Road Pat

Well done , I agree with both your identifications after consulting with Snakes of Thailand and other reptiles , makes a change from a pair of King Cobras . Saying that the OP has a Cobra in the hong nam but not a KC.

Is there any snake experts on the forum that may explain higher sightings of snakes... Or is it just that we live in a jungle?

A few years ago, I had a three meter viper of some description trapped in my dunny.... When the local snake wrangler looked in, then ran off yelling "devil, devil" , I admit to becoming a little apprehensive

Luckily we managed to talk him back inside, armed with a big stick... Don't know if that one was released or barbecued... But I suspect the later.

I live in an area of rice paddies and there are a lot more rat snakes around this year which in turn are attracting their predators the king cobra. We have a king cobra that comes in the garden, has a mooch around, then leaves. We used to get a fair few of the far more aggressive monocled cobras in the garden, but since this fellow has included us on his rounds we haven't seen any. He is doing us a favour.

I live in an area of rice paddies and there are a lot more rat snakes around this year which in turn are attracting their predators the king cobra. We have a king cobra that comes in the garden, has a mooch around, then leaves. We used to get a fair few of the far more aggressive monocled cobras in the garden, but since this fellow has included us on his rounds we haven't seen any. He is doing us a favour.

Lol... Reminds me of the story about the cold wee bird getting pooped on by a cow, to warm it up... Followed by the cat, who pulled him out of the schitt... Only to eat it.

Inside with doors shut and air conditioners cranking, seems to me to be the best idea.... I really don't like snakes, perhaps that's my Aussie background, were we have so many of the bustards... Nasty poison ones at that

I mean, you gotta worry when they name a snake a "death adder", right?