Tourist Visa Extensions Obtained Today

I'd just like to report some good news.

My Filipino girlfriend and I had no problems getting 30 day extensions on our tourist visas today at the Jomtien Immigration Office.

I was a little worried that my girl would not get her extension. She's a young looking 18 year old Filipina and we've both got 6 x 30 day stamps and one 60 day stamp in our passports, having been here for most of the last 8 months.

We sat down at the desk together so that it was obvious that she was not alone. I was worried they might be very curious as to why such a young girl was staying in Thailand so long. It might have been different if she went in alone.

Next step, a Cambodian border run next month hoping for another 60 day stamp followed by another 30 day extension application in January. We have 2 (my girl) and 3-entry (me) tourist visas. In February we'll be heading back to the Philippines for about 3 weeks, and hoping to get another tourist visa in March to return...in Penang.

That's when we'll be testing out the back-to-back tourist visa theory...hopefully they'll be enough information around before then to know if it's going to be feasible.

If we can't do that, it'll be time to find a new location. Costa Rica, Brazil, Mexico, Malaysia...it's a big world. Mexico offers an 180 day tourist card, Brazil, Costa Rica and Malaysia 90 days free. Thailand's not the only game in town!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Filipino girlfriend and I had no problems getting 30 day extensions on our tourist visas today at the Jomtien Immigration Office.

I was a little worried that my girl would not get her extension. She's a young looking 18 year old Filipina and we've both got 6 x 30 day stamps and one 60 day stamp in our passports, having been here for most of the last 8 months.

We sat down at the desk together so that it was obvious that she was not alone. I was worried they might be very curious as to why such a young girl was staying in Thailand so long. It might have been different if she went in alone.

Next step, a Cambodian border run next month hoping for another 60 day stamp followed by another 30 day extension application in January. We have 2 (my girl) and 3-entry (me) tourist visas. In February we'll be heading back to the Philippines for about 3 weeks, and hoping to get another tourist visa in March to return...in Penang.

That's when we'll be testing out the back-to-back tourist visa theory...hopefully they'll be enough information around before then to know if it's going to be feasible.

If we can't do that, it'll be time to find a new location. Costa Rica, Brazil, Mexico, Malaysia...it's a big world. Mexico offers an 180 day tourist card, Brazil, Costa Rica and Malaysia 90 days free. Thailand's not the only game in town!

JR Texas (51, USA, long time resident of Thailand now living in CHINA),

Yes, it is a big world. Some would argue that both Ecuador and Panama offer expats much more than Thailand--better banking systems, better investment climate, better scenary (mountains and ocean), better visa/immigration rules that do not change every five minutes. Chile has a magnificent coastline that rivals anything in Thailand (have you thought about living in a cliff house overlooking the Pacific Ocean?). Many expats are currently leaving Thailand for greener pastures. They simply no longer want to put up with all of this "visa nonsense/abuse." I know several good and decent expats who are planning to move to the Philippines. I know of one who shut his thriving business down--located in Jomtien--and moved the entire show to the Philippines along with the jobs that Thais once had. After having reached my TOXIN limit, I decided to move to China. I am currently living across from Macau/Hong Kong and it is truly beautiful here with mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. The girls are smart and beautiful.......it was easy for me to get a work permit (nice and friendly immigration officials) and the Chinese people make you feel very welcome. The food is great. Maybe it is time to send the Thai government a message.......maybe all the expats should just move out of the country and then they would no longer have a "visa problem." One final thing I would like add: Over the past ten years the Thai government managed to create the "visa/immigration problem" they are currently trying to address by constantly moving the goal posts with regard to retirement visa requirements, ability to start a simple business, ability to get a simple work permit, etc. Had they not done that, there would not be any "problem" to address because most of the people who are currently doing visa runs to stay in Thailand for a long time would probably qualify for retirement visas or some other type of "legitimate visa."

Having said that, I still like Thailand and the majority of the Thai people. I am happy that TOXIN was thrown out of office. We can only hope that his misguided, anti-foreigner visa/immigration rules (and that is what we are dealing with) will also be thrown out by a new and elightened administration. The good news is that all things change, even misguided visa/immigration rules that have the unintended effect of pushing good and decent people out of the country and preventing investment/job creation in the Kingdom.

Yes, I probably should not interject my political views here........but I just wanted to say it once. I will refrain from these types of diatribes in the future.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AS WE ALL NEED IT!

JR Texas

JR Texas (51, USA, long time resident of Thailand now living in CHINA),

Yes, it is a big world. Some would argue that both Ecuador and Panama offer expats much more than Thailand--better banking systems, better investment climate, better scenary (mountains and ocean), better visa/immigration rules that do not change every five minutes. Chile has a magnificent coastline that rivals anything in Thailand (have you thought about living in a cliff house overlooking the Pacific Ocean?). Many expats are currently leaving Thailand for greener pastures. They simply no longer want to put up with all of this "visa nonsense/abuse." I know several good and decent expats who are planning to move to the Philippines. I know of one who shut his thriving business down--located in Jomtien--and moved the entire show to the Philippines along with the jobs that Thais once had. After having reached my TOXIN limit, I decided to move to China. I am currently living across from Macau/Hong Kong and it is truly beautiful here with mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. The girls are smart and beautiful.......it was easy for me to get a work permit (nice and friendly immigration officials) and the Chinese people make you feel very welcome. The food is great. Maybe it is time to send the Thai government a message.......maybe all the expats should just move out of the country and then they would no longer have a "visa problem." One final thing I would like add: Over the past ten years the Thai government managed to create the "visa/immigration problem" they are currently trying to address by constantly moving the goal posts with regard to retirement visa requirements, ability to start a simple business, ability to get a simple work permit, etc. Had they not done that, there would not be any "problem" to address because most of the people who are currently doing visa runs to stay in Thailand for a long time would probably qualify for retirement visas or some other type of "legitimate visa."

Having said that, I still like Thailand and the majority of the Thai people. I am happy that TOXIN was thrown out of office. We can only hope that his misguided, anti-foreigner visa/immigration rules (and that is what we are dealing with) will also be thrown out by a new and elightened administration. The good news is that all things change, even misguided visa/immigration rules that have the unintended effect of pushing good and decent people out of the country and preventing investment/job creation in the Kingdom.

Yes, I probably should not interject my political views here........but I just wanted to say it once. I will refrain from these types of diatribes in the future.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AS WE ALL NEED IT!

JR Texas

Spot on I have started packing already.

start a thread up on alternatives to Thailand!

I've just done most of the last 7 years in the Philippines and came over to Thailand this year for a change of scenery.

For anyone interested in trying the Philippines, you can stay there on a tourist visa for as long as your passport will hold stamps and visas.

Upon arrival you get a 21 day stamp

Next, you extend the 21 days to 59 at a local Immigration office. Quieter regional offices can do this within an hour. (or 10 minutes and you pick up your passport later in the day)

Every 59 days you extend a further 59 (it's a real 59 days not counting the first day as day 1).

At about 1 year (you lose a few days because of the 59 x 6), you need to leave the country for a day. (you can boat, or fly out depending where you are)

The whole process up to a year costs approximately 9000 baht (a rough estimate).

If you marry a girl, you automatically qualify for a Balikbayan visa which gives you a year for a very small charge...and can be extended yearly.

Retirement visas require about 40K (US) deposited on a bank (maybe less...I haven't done this)...most guys just stay on tourist visas because it's so easy.

The Philippines will welcome you with open arms and they smile a lot more than Thais.

start a thread up on alternatives to Thailand!

I've just done most of the last 7 years in the Philippines and came over to Thailand this year for a change of scenery.

For anyone interested in trying the Philippines, you can stay there on a tourist visa for as long as your passport will hold stamps and visas.

Upon arrival you get a 21 day stamp

Next, you extend the 21 days to 59 at a local Immigration office. Quieter regional offices can do this within an hour. (or 10 minutes and you pick up your passport later in the day)

Every 59 days you extend a further 59 (it's a real 59 days not counting the first day as day 1).

At about 1 year (you lose a few days because of the 59 x 6), you need to leave the country for a day. (you can boat, or fly out depending where you are)

The whole process up to a year costs approximately 9000 baht (a rough estimate).

If you marry a girl, you automatically qualify for a Balikbayan visa which gives you a year for a very small charge...and can be extended yearly.

Retirement visas require about 40K (US) deposited on a bank (maybe less...I haven't done this)...most guys just stay on tourist visas because it's so easy.

The Philippines will welcome you with open arms and they smile a lot more than Thais.

Isn't it though a bit of a case that 'the grass is greener'?

I decided to retire to Thailand. I like Thailand - its not just one aspect its the 'mix'. I cannot explain it - its just a 'feeling'.

To say that people smile in the same way etc... or can get a visa easier - so what - really misses the point of why most people like me stay/retire to Thailand.

We like it here. The whole thing - warts and all.

Sure there are problems, but as long as you have enough money - and that is the important thing about Thailand - to adapt to any changes they throw at you then you need to have money - then I believe all the problems can be overcome.

Either by legal means or if it comes to it some 'Tea Money'

The unlucky people who live here expecting/hoping to do so on a limittted budget I agree with you may have insurmountable problems in the future and possibly should consider moving on whilst they they still can - still have enough years left to work and build up a life elsewhere.

I am not in any way trying to trivialise this harsh reality for people such as a previous poster with a Thai wife and kids who may have to leave Thailand(hopefully not!), if the Thais ask people like him to leave then I am not going to be very impressed.

I found his post particularly upsetting and I suspect in the New Year when the full impact of the visa changes 'kick in' - there will be many more such stories such as his.

But it wont make me leave.

It will make me read TV forums even more and discuss possible issues so I can be ready for whatever gets thrown at me next -oh and I will make sure I keep my lawyer 'sweet' - I suspect over the coming years he will become an important part of my life here!

I hope you are enjoying your stay in Thailand.

If I do pop down to Phillipines for a visit - where is the best place to go - would my Thai wife need a Visa???

Edited by dsfbrit

If I do pop down to Phillipines for a visit - where is the best place to go - would my Thai wife need a Visa???

As far as I know, your Thai wife will get a 30-day stamp...but even if she only gets 21 days, it's easy to extend.

Apparently you were very lucky with regard to the Tourist Visa for your Philippine girlfriend. I was in Manila in March this year with my Philippina girlfriend (I am living on Phuket) and we went to the Thai Embassy in Makati to enquire about a tourist visa for her. We received a little note with the requested papers. Until July we had ALL the papers together and she again went to the Embassy to apply for the Tourist Visa. And she was flatly denied this visa. As reason for the denial it was mentioned that she might "work"in Thailand.

We were quite upset. I absolutely can understand that the Thai Embassy does not want to issue Tourist Visas to Philippine girls. Buth then they should name it in the first place and not let the applicant run around and get all necessary papers and then make one look like an idiot.

Apparently you were very lucky with regard to the Tourist Visa for your Philippine girlfriend. I was in Manila in March this year with my Philippina girlfriend (I am living on Phuket) and we went to the Thai Embassy in Makati to enquire about a tourist visa for her. We received a little note with the requested papers. Until July we had ALL the papers together and she again went to the Embassy to apply for the Tourist Visa. And she was flatly denied this visa. As reason for the denial it was mentioned that she might "work"in Thailand.

We were quite upset. I absolutely can understand that the Thai Embassy does not want to issue Tourist Visas to Philippine girls. Buth then they should name it in the first place and not let the applicant run around and get all necessary papers and then make one look like an idiot.

We did in fact go to the Thai Embassy in Makati back in February for the purpose of obtaining a tourist visa for my girl and I.

I spoke to the person at the desk and asked a few questions about what exactly we would need, and when I was told about all that was required, I said to myself "<deleted> this" and we promptly departed the Embassy... we decided to enter on a 30 day stamp instead.

We got our 2 (her) and 3 (me) entry tourist visas in Malaysia 6 months later without a problem, and nothing to show (documents)...of course that was back in August before all this new cr*p came about.

When we return from the Philippines in March next year, we're going to fly via Malaysia to pick up a tourist visa on the way.

Edited by tropo

[THE THAI EMBASSY IN MANILA IS THE MOST WORSE I EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE,MORE WORSE LIKE THE RUMANIANS 10 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES VISA IS EASY ON PHILLIPINES , JUST STAY UP TO ONE YEAR

THIS TIME I AM VERY HAPPY GO TO PHILLIPINES in november for 3 weeks,,,i am so fed up from here.....................

but about what i not like in PHP is the infrastructere ( food,streets ,safety) but the rest fit me personaly very good.

problem,,, thaialnd is more easy for living,,, but when they start thinking,,,oh hhhhh budha!

i am so fed up, but i have to sell assets here, and ths is very dificult here, under the actual conditions, in property.....................

but i am in the good situation for having enough money on bank if cannot sell...

and just one condo i keep for come here, and than i enoy that what thais can do at their best

and the rest can kss my a.............

my plan is , if nothing change in visa here, i stay 5-6 month here, 3 month in my parents house in spain, and 3-4 month in phillipine maybe malaysia

why stay in thaialnd ?? fact i can live on 2000 $ bankincome p.m/... if i go to expensive country not enough income,,,go work in north europe for what ????? than i earn 3000 a month when lucky,,, and because i am single,,i pend more than 5000,,,,,,, so i work and dont have more buyingpower,so for what?????????????>...................????????????????

but my money and investment are welcomed somewhere else more,,,, and even the person is welcomed more than in thailand, even when it is in thridworldcountrys or tigerstates 70% money and 30% person............................

[THE THAI EMBASSY IN MANILA IS THE MOST WORSE I EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE,MORE WORSE LIKE THE RUMANIANS 10 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES VISA IS EASY ON PHILLIPINES , JUST STAY UP TO ONE YEAR

THIS TIME I AM VERY HAPPY GO TO PHILLIPINES in november for 3 weeks,,,i am so fed up from here.....................

but about what i not like in PHP is the infrastructere ( food,streets ,safety) but the rest fit me personaly very good.

problem,,, thaialnd is more easy for living,,, but when they start thinking,,,oh hhhhh budha!

i am so fed up, but i have to sell assets here, and ths is very dificult here, under the actual conditions, in property.....................

but i am in the good situation for having enough money on bank if cannot sell...

and just one condo i keep for come here, and than i enoy that what thais can do at their best

and the rest can kss my a.............

my plan is , if nothing change in visa here, i stay 5-6 month here, 3 month in my parents house in spain, and 3-4 month in phillipine maybe malaysia

why stay in thaialnd ?? fact i can live on 2000 $ bankincome p.m/... if i go to expensive country not enough income,,,go work in north europe for what ????? than i earn 3000 a month when lucky,,, and because i am single,,i pend more than 5000,,,,,,, so i work and dont have more buyingpower,so for what?????????????>...................????????????????

but my money and investment are welcomed somewhere else more,,,, and even the person is welcomed more than in thailand, even when it is in thridworldcountrys or tigerstates 70% money and 30% person............................

JR Texas (51, American, living in China):

I fully understand your anger and frustration with the current situation. In case you are not aware of it, there is a program in Panama called the Pensionado Program that allows foreigners to get PERMANENT RESIDENCY if they can show US$500 income per month. Panama is, of course, in the tropics. It has mountains and oceans. It also has one of the best banking systems in the world.

Best of luck to you,

JR

[

JR Texas (51, American, living in China):

I fully understand your anger and frustration with the current situation. In case you are not aware of it, there is a program in Panama called the Pensionado Program that allows foreigners to get PERMANENT RESIDENCY if they can show US$500 income per month. Panama is, of course, in the tropics. It has mountains and oceans. It also has one of the best banking systems in the world.

Best of luck to you,

JR

in malaysia 10 year residencepremit aviable and landownership,,,, in PHP,CAM,VTN you can obtain by paying money

AND ALL ( MAYBE one not where i dont know) YOU CAN OBTAIN RESIDENCE PREMIT ( 5 YEARS) WITH INVESTMENTS WORTH 50K $ AND CAN OWN LAND,,, in many countrys like panama its even more easy

i was in panama , lovely country,,, but nonightlife,or nearly no, and the crimerate is high

THAILAND...............you are great a............................

Sure there are problems, but as long as you have enough money - and that is the important thing about Thailand - to adapt to any changes they throw at you then you need to have money - then I believe all the problems can be overcome.

That's exactly the problem M O N E Y

Has mone become the only issue in life?

Thailand is changing the goal post regularly. From 200k to 400k to 800k :D

And although I do have enough money for the time being all these thing are upsetting me.

And Although I am building a house right now I do have a plan B and a plan C

I would not hesitate to leave this country on short notice if things turn too sour to my taste.

<deleted> the house, I know of more important things than money.

I hope I am not alone to think like this and I do believe some will leave the ship soon.

And why do people quote and requote complete post?

Most of us can read :o

I have invested something like 9 MILLION BAHT in this country (700,000 to buy a condo and over 8,000,000 in thai stocks) yet being under 50 years I DO NOT QUALIFY for ANY VISA.

And I am not willing to use "tea money" in a country where I cannot read my own name on any official document being it written with their criptic "alphabet", and where just 1day of overstay can lead you to monkey house.

The truth is thai authorities are plain TREACHEROUS and deserve a SEVERE lesson.

I am moving to Philippines and you can bet my thai stocks will become philippine treasury bonds in a very short time.

I STRONGLY invite all farangs in my same situation to do the same.

With that sort of money invested in the Philippines you'll get an I-card (permanent residence) in less than a week. You'll never have to worry about visas again. When come through Manila airport, you'll even have a special lane where you just swipe your card.

Edited by tropo

I have invested something like 9 MILLION BAHT in this country (700,000 to buy a condo and over 8,000,000 in thai stocks) yet being under 50 years I DO NOT QUALIFY for ANY VISA.

And I am not willing to use "tea money" in a country where I cannot read my own name on any official document being it written with their criptic "alphabet", and where just 1day of overstay can lead you to monkey house.

The truth is thai authorities are plain TREACHEROUS and deserve a SEVERE lesson.

I am moving to Philippines and you can bet my thai stocks will become philippine treasury bonds in a very short time.

Sorry, but this is THAILAND and they are entitled to use their own language on their own documents. If you can't read then that is YOUR problem, not theirs.

As for the rest of it, well, enjoy the Phillipines.

Sorry, but this is THAILAND and they are entitled to use their own language on their own documents. If you can't read then that is YOUR problem, not theirs.

As for the rest of it, well, enjoy the Phillipines.

...And we're all fortunate that you're a moderator and not a tourism promoter.

In most countries were tourism is so huge as it is in Thailand, the governments bend over backwards to accommodate the English language....afterall, a few people do speak it.

I remember back in the 80's in Australia the Japanese were starting to invest huge amounts of money. Australians all started to learn (or at least try) Japanese. These are the things that business people and governments do to promote tourism....except in Thailand of course.

He will enjoy the Philippines (try to spell that correctly), that's certain.

Edited by tropo

I see, to the extent that the Australian govt used Japanese characters on official government forms?

My point is, that this is a completely asinine complaint to make.

There are plenty of other valid complaints to make about Thai govt policy, but to complain about the Thai language being used on official govt documents is just ridiculous. Besides, if you look at the normal forms tourists use, they are in English.

I see, to the extent that the Australian govt used Japanese characters on official government forms?

There are plenty of other valid complaints to make about Thai govt policy, but to complain about the Thai language being used on official govt documents is just ridiculous. Besides, if you look at the normal forms tourists use, they are in English.

Yes, point taken.

Unless a country is bilingual, you would not expect any legal documents to be in a foreign language.

Its worth noting that even in our own English speaking countries, it's unlikely that a person would be signing any legal (eg. real estate) documents without having our attorneys/lawyers look them over very thoroughly first. Most of them appear to be written in a foreign language anyway (legalese/gobbledegook).

I can understand a lot of people getting very disgruntled though, feeling so lost and unwelcome after having invested so much money in Thailand.

It will make me read TV forums even more and discuss possible issues so I can be ready for whatever gets thrown at me next -oh and I will make sure I keep my lawyer 'sweet' - I suspect over the coming years he will become an important part of my life here!

You could try Cebu

but there are really MANY places that have expat Communities

Boracay, Dumaguete, Bacolod, Tacloban, Cagayan de Oro, General Santos, Bohol, San Jose, Angeles ...

Try finding one of the several Yahoo Groups ... to quiz the Local Expats

Buy a Guide Book

Do a Google Search

I can confirm the Visa details given earlier to coincide with what I knew last year

English is WIDELY spoken in Philippines - you can have a

CONVERSATION with most Taxi Drivers

On the downside ...

I never felt safe in downtown areas

- toooo many people Lounging around doing nothing

- I became very aprehensive using ATMs

- maybe I was just paranoid - but I never felt like THAT

ANYWHERE in Thailand ...

Edited by WilliamIV

You could try Cebu

but there are really MANY places that have expat Communities

Boracay, Dumaguete, Bacolod, Tacloban, Cagayan de Oro, General Santos, Bohol, San Jose, Angeles ...

Try finding one of the several Yahoo Groups ... to quiz the Local Expats

Buy a Guide Book

Do a Google Search

I can confirm the Visa details given earlier to coincide with what I knew last year

English is WIDELY spoken in Philippines - you can have a

CONVERSATION with most Taxi Drivers

On the downside ...

I never felt safe in downtown areas

- toooo many people Lounging around doing nothing

- I became very aprehensive using ATMs

- maybe I was just paranoid - but I never felt like THAT

ANYWHERE in Thailand ...

Perhaps worthy of a post in the Travel section or the visas to other countries section. It seems to me there isn't a wide variety of information out there for those who want to travel with their Thai partners.

Why should any form here be in English

What about French or German ?

Or Chinese and Japanese Script?

In Thailand - Thai Script would seem to be appropriate

Having said that I notice back in UK when I went "Home"

recently - there were many Gvt places where signs were in Urdu

and Gujarati !!! (I think !!!)

I'll answer your question:

English is used more universally than any other language.

Most English speaking multi-cultural countries (USA, UK, Australia) have language services in the public sector. They do understand that not all people are fluent in English.

Has mone become the only issue in life?

And although I do have enough money for the time being all these thing are upsetting me.

I would not hesitate to leave this country on short notice if things turn too sour to my taste.

I hope I am not alone to think like this and I do believe some will leave the ship soon.

JR Texas (51, USA, don't shoot me!, living in China):

I hope I did not include the quote (new at this). "From 200k to 400k to 800k." That should be clear to all people--rich and poor--reading this. The goal posts continue to be moved; the bar continues to be raised. It is not an investor's climate. You could easily find yourself in a situation where your capital is tied up in real estate but you can't live in Thailand because of changes to Thailand's immigration/visa rules. People say there are simple solutions. But if they make it extraordinarily difficult for you to start a small business or to get a work permit or to obtain a simple visa, it is not so simple. I do not know of any other country on the planet that has such a rediculous set of immigration/visa rules and regulations (maybe Nigeria). Do not forget that we have power to correct this situation. We could, for example, do the smart thing and STOP INVESTING IN THAILAND--NO CONDO PURCHASES, NO HOUSE PURCHASES, NO BUSINESS START UPS--AND REDUCE OUR DAILY EXPENDITURES TO A BARE MINIMUM. Maybe that would get their attention.

The last time I looked, investors do not like uncertainty. If the rules and regulations have not yet impacted you, if you think you have it made in the shade in Thailand, please remember this: YOU ARE NEXT IN LINE. JUST WAIT A FEW MORE YEARS. At one time I had it made in the shade and thought I was untouchable. WRONG! The time to wake up and smell the coffee is now....before the problems reach you on a personal level.

I am hurting inside because the Thailand that I once new is all but gone.........I loved Thailand.......I invested in the country (house, family, friends).........I did the right thing..........I helped a lot of people. It will be hard for me to forgive them for what they are doing to foreigners. This is NOT A GAME. But to them, it is: "Tell them that they must get a real visa to live in Thailand. Then make it next to impossible to get a real visa at the most logical and convenient location, Cambodia. Then tell them they can go get the required visa in Malaysia but only allow them to get it in one city (that will piss them off.......ha ha, he he). Then force many of them to return to their country of origin to get a simple visa when they could easily get it in Bangkok (ha ha ha ha....stupid farangs...ha ha ha ha, they must really enjoy getting <deleted>*%$#d in the a%$. How about this. Why not tell them they have to put 800k in a Thai bank and then make it difficult for them to open a bank account...maybe say they must first have a work permit to open an account, and then pass a law making it illegal to pay them interest on the money deposited......ho ho ho....that is a good one Khun Idiot...this is so much fun and, as you know, it is the only way we can get back at them for dating/loving our Thai women." And the game goes on.............

Best wishes,

JR

Has money become the only issue in life?

I agree with you 100 percent.

Sadly it seems the shift in criteria is towards you must have 'lots' of money to stay in Thailand.

In isn't based on having sufficient funds.

Why a farang with a Thai wife and 2 Thai kids living in the North of Thailand in a small village (post on another thread) would need 40000 Baht a month to live in Thailand- is beyond me.

My Thai language teacher earns 7000 baht a month and lives on that in Pattaya with her husband who has another 7000 Baht a month. They are both Thais, but surely a farang up north could reasonably be expected to live on this.

What are they going to do to this sort of farang with insufficient funds - give him 7 days to quit the country, then put him in jail if he doesn't go??? Split up the family?

Maybe I have missed the 'plot' here - perhaps I dont understand these new rules properly.

I am 52 years old, figure I may live for up to another 30 years and thought I had sufficient funds, I didn't think anything could really affect me.

I now realise that if they are prepared to split up families in this way (and we dont know yet - as the rules have not been used in this way yet! and this is Thailand remember) I have built my retirement on 'sand'

I (sadly?) dont have a plan B or C - yet.

I think the 'tipping point' for me to make a plan B / C is when I see the first farang with a family and a reasonable income getting the 'boot'!

By the way sorry I re-posted the whole of your post - I couldn't decide which bit to leave out.

JR Texas

You wrote:

I hope I did not include the quote (new at this). "From 200k to 400k to 800k." That should be clear to all people--rich and poor--reading this. The goal posts continue to be moved; the bar continues to be raised.

But this is for NEW Applicants.

I am not aware of "Retirement Visa" holders

being asked to increase their Bank Deposits

when processing their annual extensions .

I have held my "Retirement Visa" for 8 years

and I only have to show Bht 200,000 in my account.

AND - I thought I read that if you have sufficient Pension

you will not be required to show a Bank Deposit in future ??

Most English speaking multi-cultural countries (USA, UK, Australia) have language services in the public sector. They do understand that not all people are fluent in English.

AND - all Immigration Forms that are required completion by the applicant

ARE in English

The Original complaint was about having to sign a Form Completed by the Immigration Officer in Thai Script - and not knowing what it said ...

AND - all Immigration Forms that are required completion by the applicant

ARE in English

The Original complaint was about having to sign a Form Completed by the Immigration Officer in Thai Script - and not knowing what it said ...

Somehow I missed this, I don't see anywhere in Gaudente's post where he said the Immigration officer filled out the form. Just that he couldn't read the thai script on forms.

JR Texas

You wrote:

I hope I did not include the quote (new at this). "From 200k to 400k to 800k." That should be clear to all people--rich and poor--reading this. The goal posts continue to be moved; the bar continues to be raised.

But this is for NEW Applicants.

I am not aware of "Retirement Visa" holders

being asked to increase their Bank Deposits

when processing their annual extensions .

I have held my "Retirement Visa" for 8 years

and I only have to show Bht 200,000 in my account.

AND - I thought I read that if you have sufficient Pension

you will not be required to show a Bank Deposit in future ??

possible that u slip into the grand father clause as now its 800K 3 months before extension or 65K per month with notorised paperwork to show income per month from Embassy

Best you sod off then.

I am sure your attitude and contribution to Thailand will be sorely missed... :o