Problem with Tourist Visa in Cambodia

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try Savannakhet.

For the record I'm not working illegally in Thailand and I've been supporting myself through my business, which is not based there.

Does anyone think it's worth going to Phnom Penh? It sounds like it might be a waste of time.

Maybe catch a flight or bus to HCMC and get the Visa there (overnight processing and no need for an agent). Don't know where you are from, but will most likely need a Vietnam visa as well.

Yeah, I'm thinking about going to Vietnam but I keep reading things about proof of funds and records of flights in and out of Thailand. It's crazy, all these different embassies and consulates either having their own rules or choosing which ones they enforce when they feel like it.

I'm seriously considering spending the next 3 months in HCMC or Hanoi and then maybe coming back to Cambodia and getting the one year visa. I love Thailand but if I have to keep jumping through hoops then it's not worth it.

That is correct. You do need proof of fund and flight tickets.

• Like 1

HCMC, Hanoi and Cambodia, are not a patch on Thailand, they are far behind Thailand in so many ways, I would think that a short time there will make my point clear.

Thailand is easy for long term stays for some, but for the younger, not married to a Thai national, long term stays are harder to come by, the normal dodgy ways of staying long term , back to back visa exempt, tourist visa's and ed visa's are being clamped down on, as are 2 and 3 entry tourist visa's, which have been replaced with a multi entry tourist visa ( metv), which is more difficult to obtain, and it in most cases only available in your home country. but if obtained would with a 30 day extension at the end, give a 'tourist' 9 months stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

Sounds like your "agent" and his "simi legal" visa agency is being looked more closely by immigration..

Not sure why anyone thinks the problem is with the agent. The OP has been here 3 years and is applying for more time as a tourist! Seems to me they want to know how he can afford his stay without working, and if Vientiane is anything to go by, as soon as an embassy start asking questions like that your chances of getting another visa are slim to none.

• Like 1

Does anyone think it's worth going to Phnom Penh? It sounds like it might be a waste of time.

A trip to the embassy yourself might help if you can show financial proof and a ticket out of the country. They seem to not always trust agents outside of PP from posts that I have seen.

Once again. I guess a financial proof means to have enough money on a Thai bank account. Here is the question, how much is enough? Probably the embassy / consulate will not accept a bank statement from the home country. Then, why would someone transfer bigger amounts of money to a Thai bank account if it is not sure, if he will get the visa.

Question i have is if you don't have a business or Thai wife and have been using ED and tourist visas, I can only assume you have been supporting yourself for the past 3+ years by working in Thailand illegally.

Question i have is if you don't have a business or Thai wife and have been using ED and tourist visa, I can only assume you have been supporting yourself for the past 3+ years by working in Thailand illegally.

Maybe he's got a large amount of spare cash sitting in his bank account. Not everyone is a pennyless deadbeat you know.

If he had a large amount of spare cash sitting in his bank account as you say he would be using the Elite visa and saving himself all the hassles of border runs and trips to immigration. So i doubt very much that is the case.

What is your problem? Are you jealous of others lifestyle? I have been here a few years not working (and on an ED Visa before marriage) without working. Maybe some of us just have more money than you (or are better at managing it). I would never in a million years spend $15,000 of my money on a scam as crazy as an "Elite Visa". I would rather go to immigration every week then surrenduring that amount of cash for such nonsense!

Did i say I have a problem? Did i state that I am jealous of his lifestyle? Am I not entitled to my opinion? It appears you are and whether you like it or not, so am I.

Rayk, do you plan stopping your off topic garbage at some point? How OP supports himself is none of your business, you are rude to felloe TV user, and you keep spamming off topic. How you get away with over several posts is a mystery to me.

• Like 2

Question i have is if you don't have a business or Thai wife and have been using ED and tourist visas, I can only assume you have been supporting yourself for the past 3+ years by working in Thailand illegally.

Question i have is if you don't have a business or Thai wife and have been using ED and tourist visa, I can only assume you have been supporting yourself for the past 3+ years by working in Thailand illegally.

Maybe he's got a large amount of spare cash sitting in his bank account. Not everyone is a pennyless deadbeat you know.

If he had a large amount of spare cash sitting in his bank account as you say he would be using the Elite visa and saving himself all the hassles of border runs and trips to immigration. So i doubt very much that is the case.

What is your problem? Are you jealous of others lifestyle? I have been here a few years not working (and on an ED Visa before marriage) without working. Maybe some of us just have more money than you (or are better at managing it). I would never in a million years spend $15,000 of my money on a scam as crazy as an "Elite Visa". I would rather go to immigration every week then surrenduring that amount of cash for such nonsense!

Did i say I have a problem? Did i state that I am jealous of his lifestyle? Am I not entitled to my opinion? It appears you are and whether you like it or not, so am I.

Rayk, do you plan stopping your off topic garbage at some point? How OP supports himself is none of your business, you are rude to felloe TV user, and you keep spamming off topic. How you get away with over several posts is a mystery to me.

I have made 4 posts, 2 of which have everything to do with the topic considering the Thai Embassy in Cambodia is pretty much questioning the authenticity of this gentleman being a tourist.

And the other two posts were in response to statements directed at me by other members which I firmly believe I have every right to respond.

If anyone is off topic it's you as your post has nothing to do with the said topic.

Did you not see in one of my posts where I state I don't care how he makes his living in Thailand.

Look up the definition of spamming before you accuse me of doing so.

Cheers

Edited by Rayk

I think I am correct when I say you can go visa free to VN for 2 weeks. However if the OP wants to spend 3 months there, a visa would be required.

Apart from the retirees or married, there will come a time for everyone where what the OP is experiencing, will become an issue if they want to stay as long as they can using b2b visas or tourist visas.

The time has probably come where you should spend some time out of Thailand, thus showing the IO's that you are not a constant border runner or working illegally.

I would not advise taking 3 months in VN then a year in Cambodia though because that would mean 15 months out of Thailand continuously. If you like Thailand so much you will more than likely get withdrawal symptoms!! But you need to decide what length of time you feel would satisfy immigration. Maybe take 3 to 4 months in VN then try Thailand again for as long as you can, then repeat in Cambodia when Thailand gets tricky again?

All the best whatever you choose

Edited by Walter Travolta
  • Like 2

I think I am correct when I say you can go visa free to VN for 2 weeks. However if the OP wants to spend 3 months there, a visa would be required.

Apart from the retirees or married, there will come a time for everyone where what the OP is experiencing, will become an issue if they want to stay as long as they can using b2b visas or tourist visas.

The time has probably come where you should spend some time out of Thailand, thus showing the IO's that you are not a constant border runner or working illegally.

I would not advise taking 3 months in VN then a year in Cambodia though because that would mean 15 months out of Thailand continuously. If you like Thailand so much you will more than likely get withdrawal symptoms!! But you need to decide what length of time you feel would satisfy immigration. Maybe take 3 to 4 months in VN then try Thailand again for as long as you can, then repeat in Cambodia when Thailand gets tricky again?

There are only about 15 countries that can enter Vietnam visa free.....

• Like 1

There are only about 15 countries that can enter Vietnam visa free.....
Yes but judging by the cut of his jib, his knowledge of the English language makes me believe he is from one of the qualifying nations

I really cant see how the Elite Visa is worth it. 2 million baht and a yearly fee, come on they have to be joking

Does your post have any relationship to the topic which is about obtaining a Tourist Visa in Cambodia ?

Yes, a post mentions the Elite Visa as a possible alternative

• Like 1

Yes, you're right. I knew this day would come. If I can get away with 9 months of the year in Thailand I'll be happy. Actually I'd settle for 6.

I'm going to go to the embassy and see what they have to say but I've resigned myself to not getting it.

• Like 1

HCMC, Hanoi and Cambodia, are not a patch on Thailand, they are far behind Thailand in so many ways, I would think that a short time there will make my point clear.

Thailand is easy for long term stays for some, but for the younger, not married to a Thai national, long term stays are harder to come by, the normal dodgy ways of staying long term , back to back visa exempt, tourist visa's and ed visa's are being clamped down on, as are 2 and 3 entry tourist visa's, which have been replaced with a multi entry tourist visa ( metv), which is more difficult to obtain, and it in most cases only available in your home country. but if obtained would with a 30 day extension at the end, give a 'tourist' 9 months stay in Thailand.

I think Cambodia is fine and I've been coming to Siem Reap during the past 12 months and I can see that they're developing. Also the Visa situation is a lot easier. I'm sure they're already starting to attract people who are having visa issues in Thailand, hopefully the increase in revenue will help to develop the country further.

I'd rather be in Thailand of course but I guess I'll have to limit my time there from now on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try Savannakhet.

For the record I'm not working illegally in Thailand and I've been supporting myself through my business, which is not based there.

Just because your business is not based in Thailand does not mean you are not working illegally. Are you yourself doing work at your business within the borders of Thailand. If the answer is yes than in essence you are working illegally.

Not that i really care if you are.

This has been dealt with ad nauseam on other threads.

Thai authorities are not concerned with what visitors do purely over the internet with overseas companies, overseas bank accounts, and overseas customers.

Perhaps you believe that they SHOULD be concerned. And if you are indeed a Thai citizen, I suppose the authorities will welcome your opinion on the topic.

Otherwise, not so much, I think.

• Like 1

Once again. I guess a financial proof means to have enough money on a Thai bank account. Here is the question, how much is enough? Probably the embassy / consulate will not accept a bank statement from the home country. Then, why would someone transfer bigger amounts of money to a Thai bank account if it is not sure, if he will get the visa.

It's never written anywhere, so it's at the Embassy's / Consulate's discretion, but if you don't want to be grilled, I'd recommend 100K baht and up (or foreign currency equivalent in home account). The more the better.

I believe a foreign bank statement should be enough in most cases, but obviously a Thai bank book would be quite a big plus in my opinion.

I think they would start smiling again at that level and up for SETV's.

It's my personal opinion.

Edited by lkv

Yes, you're right. I knew this day would come. If I can get away with 9 months of the year in Thailand I'll be happy. Actually I'd settle for 6.

I'm going to go to the embassy and see what they have to say but I've resigned myself to not getting it.

If you're happy with 6 or 7 months elsewhere, I think that's the end of this discussion as far as you're concerned. I will reciprocate what I said earlier though. If you spend 7 months out of Thailand on your next exit, I believe that the previous time you have spent here will just be history in your passport. Meaning you would be able to maybe get as much time as you have already done, subject to your passport being in date and subject to Thailand not moving the goalposts again.
  • Like 1