National artist urges Thais not to hate Chinese tourists but to help them change

webfact

National artist urges Thais not to hate Chinese tourists but to help them change

2902001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- National artist Chalermchai Kositpipat urged Thai people not to hate or despise Chinese tourists in general simply because some of them have misbehaved, lack manners or cause troubles to people in this country.

However, he admitted that previously had negative attitude towards Chinese tourists and was among the first group of Thai people who openly reprimanded them because of their misbehaviours.

But, now, after having come into direct contact with quite a few Chinese tourists, Chinese government officials and tour guides, he found out that the Chinese government had tried its utmost to educate its people not to cause troubles in countries where they are visiting.

Mr Chalermchai said that his temple in Chiang Rai, the famous Wat Rong Khun, had played a role in changing the behavior of many Chinese visiting Thailand.

“They behave better today. They respect the places they visit because they were educated by their government and our temple,” said the national artist who however admitted that there are some Chinese tourists who are yet to change their behavior.

He said he didn’t understand why many Thais didn’t like the Chinese tourists merely because a minority of them caused troubles. “The Chinese are our guests. Our economy is in bad shape, so do not reprimand or hate them too much. We should teach them how to behave and do the right thing for our own benefits,” he added.

“I flushed their excretes and I repaired what they broke but I told them not to do it again. I hired more people to look after them and there were now less breakings and no excretes. And this is what we should do and not to reprimand them because they are our guests,” said Mr Chalermchai.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152924

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-01

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This guy takes the cake. Responsible for the creation of a world class monument to bad taste, he now seeks to give advice to others about etiquette ( despite his earlier suggestions about banning Chinese tourists). The perception that Chinese tourists make little economic contribution is faulty: they do spend, they create employment.at least he's right about that.

The last earthquake spared the white hideousness, barely. Here's hoping the next one sends it tumbling for good.

Thailand needs fewer of these self-promoting, I-am, know-it-all drop kicks and their dreadful creations

I don't expect them to buy an attractive young short-timer in a small bar on Bangla Roadwub.png

But Miracles do happen..

So this is what you expect of "normal" tourists to do on their Thailand vacation? Have paid sex with hookers?

well actually.... yes!

A year ago, Ajaan Chalermchai stated that he would be building separate toilets for Chinese tourists. He said in a television interview that it was "impossible" for other tourists to use the bathrooms so he would build new ones, DPA reported. Previously, the temple had even banned Chinese tourists altogether after Chinese tour groups left the toilets in a state of disrepair. "They had defecated on the floor, urinated on the walls outside and left sanitary pads on the wall of the bathrooms," an official who requested anonymity was quoted as saying.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thai-temple-to-build-separate-toilets-for-non-chinese-visitors-after-complaints-report

Last week, while still free for Thais, he said he would begin charging admission for foreigners and apparently mainland Chinese tourists are now welcome?

Edited by bubba

Yep, after he's decided to start charging entrance fees for foreigners, the Chinese are welcome. This ugly empty shell of a fake temple with his staff herding people through like sheep should be avoided.

There are lots of nice, young Chinese. The trouble is these package tours. They use Chinese owned busses, Chinese owned hotels and resorts and Chinese tour guides, eat at Chinese owned restaurants, being kept well away of anywhere they can spend money. NOT a nice addition to Thailand. Awfully noisy when they arrive anywhere.

The young smart, educated couples are a relief.

Edited by rebelplatoon

There is a misconception by a lot of older white males from Europe who believe that people only come to Thailand for drinking and whoring. There are better things in Thailand to do. It is noted in Chiang Rai that Skid Row has very few whore bars. There are several western hangouts for people to go and complain to each other about how Thailand is not like the place they came from. Most have never been to the real tourist spots let alone the White Temple or the Singh Farm. I do know two guys that spend a lot of time on motorcycles seeing and enjoying northern Thailand and Laos. They are seeing unique places and people that most complainers never see.

Yep, after he's decided to start charging entrance fees for foreigners, the Chinese are welcome. This ugly empty shell of a fake temple with his staff herding people through like sheep should be avoided.

There are lots of nice, young Chinese. The trouble is these package tours. They use Chinese owned busses, Chinese owned hotels and resorts and Chinese tour guides, eat at Chinese owned restaurants, being kept well away of anywhere they can spend money. NOT a nice addition to Thailand. Awfully noisy when they arrive anywhere.

I hear you there.

Met a young, Chinese teacher and his girlfriend a few years back, they've since returned.

They would say the same, keep away from the hordes, 'animals' he would say. 555 The young friends that would visit them, either travelling or beginning work here seemed fine too.

And it's true, these package tours seem to have something similar to a pack mentality.

The only city I have seen where Chinese are tidy and publicly considerate is Singapore and this is because people are fined for every infraction of their numerous laws. I used to think this was a too much but it works! All this talk of educating and trying to teach them is largely a waste of time. I supposed like about any other nationality they have sort of herd mentality in that when they are groups where they display the worse kind of behavior. When I meet single or small independent groups of Chinese they are usually quite friendly- actually more so than their European counterparts. What I have found is that the kind of behavior that upset upsets the "round eyes" is equally upsetting and often more so to other Chinese as they know it will make the rest of the world paint them with the same brush. They should charge Chinese tour groups much more than they already do for entrance fees to parks an attractions etc in anticipation of the damage and extra cleaning that will be involved. It's not as if Thailand doesn't have a time honored tradition of doing this to other foreign nationals. Hit them in pocket enough and they'll eventually take the hint.

Does anyone actually believe flushed their crap and repaired something. More likely he ordered someone to do it. You can't teach an old dog new tricks and this guy will be biting his own words this year as more Chinese will come and cause damage.

Well, the fake hiso Thais hating the Chinese would be much like having themselves. Just as their hating Indians is much like hating much of themselves. Somehow, Thais have convinced themselves they are a world apart from these people... Somehow

I flushed their excretes and I repaired what they broke but I told them not to do it again. I hired more people to look after them and there were now less breakings and no excretes. And this is what we should do and not to reprimand them because they are our guests, said Mr Chalermchai.

So is he an Artist looking to redeem him self to inbound operators or a closet Sanitation Engineer?

A very strange rant from Thai who recently introduced a entry fee to the White Wat after quite a few incidents of the Chinese trashing his place!

Never-the-less a truely brilliant artist with a need to get heads thru the door

Edited by khun custard

Wow, now there's a post that nicely and clearly summarizes all the essential aspects of the situation.

Just a side-note : if I were an architect, painter, musician, dancer and found myself suddenly labelled 'national artist', I would run away as far as possible.

Edited by Yann55

I don't expect them to buy an attractive young short-timer in a small bar on Bangla Roadwub.png

But Miracles do happen..

So this is what you expect of "normal" tourists to do on their Thailand vacation? Have paid sex with hookers?

I never said Chinese tourists visit bars on Bangla Road, buy beer and maybe bar fine a girl. I never said they rent a motorcycle either. I never said they don't drown on Phuket.

I simply inferred that they don't spend much money in general, and with 10 million of them coming in 2016 - it doesn't make those in the tourist industry do backflips, one could INFER

You perhaps inferred wrongly in a way, but that's cool. It's your right. It's pedant, in any case, and of no consequence per se, as it were, etc..

Perhaps next time I could word it better, in hindsight. Not for you, but in general.

Okay, for youthumbsup.gif too..

Take good careclap2.gif

They actually started charging admission....but only for foreigners? TIT I guess

After being exposed to so many Russian tourists for years, I now find most Chinese tourists to be easy to handle, and rather pleasant to be around. They are usually quite jovial, and if they are a bit loud, who cares? Many Thais are quite loud too. It is all relative. I will take the Chinese over the Russians any day. It is what it is. The Chinese have discovered Thailand, and there is no turning back.

It is unfortunate that with the recent policy shifts (raiding senior citizen bridge games, imposing extremely stiff penalties for overstay, charging more for tourist visas, etc. ) that the government is giving Westerners the impression they are no longer welcome here. At least less welcome than in the past. You cannot substitute a Western tourist, with a Chinese tourist. The Chinese spend far less money. The ignorant folks in the tourism ministry, and immigration do not understand that. Or, they just don't care.

But Miracles do happen..

I never said Chinese tourists visit bars on Bangla Road, buy beer and maybe bar fine a girl. I never said they rent a motorcycle either. I never said they don't drown on Phuket.

I simply inferred that they don't spend much money in general, and with 10 million of them coming in 2016 - it doesn't make those in the tourist industry do backflips, one could INFER

You perhaps inferred wrongly in a way, but that's cool. It's your right. It's pedant, in any case, and of no consequence per se, as it were, etc..

Perhaps next time I could word it better, in hindsight. Not for you, but in general.

Okay, for youthumbsup.gif too..

Take good careclap2.gif

You know what nationality is the largest consumer of luxury goods in Thailand? Chinese people! Do you know what nationality that has the highest amouts of people investing in expensive luxury condominiums (20+ million) for investment purposes at least in bkk? Chinese people!...maybe the big groups that go to phuket or other tourist destinations aren't seasoned travellers. The Russians Tour groups are worse than the Chinese groups I think.

But one thing that Chinese travellers have in common with the Russians if you gonna generalize is that they can be quite rude. But the Russians are worse.

I doubt big spenders are the guys who hangout around bars on Bangla road.

Edited by Evolare