Pratunam’s Flashy, Trashy Fashion to be Swept Away

webfact

Excellent news.

There will still be shops all along those pavements where tourists can buy things, leaving the pavement for what is supposed to be for, walking.

Those vendors have been taking the piss for years, not much sympathy from me.

They were here long before you arrived. It was an institution and part of the Bangkok way of life.

If you need a very clean street with no motosoi, no vendors, no beggars you should go live in Singapor it will suit your needs

Or maybe you should go and live somewhere like Mumbai.

Thai people are the ones instigating the current crackdown on vendors encroaching on pavements and from my experience most

Thais want the pavements to be cleared.

What I or any other Farang wants means nothing, it is the Thais who want to improve the situation and to be able to walk on the pavements.

I bet the thai people who want these removed are the one you see at emporium, not the mass

The Thai government only want high end quality tourists shopping at the major malls by the look of it, I like walking and weaving my way around these makeshift stalls who knows what you may find, it is much better than air con malls with overpriced designer shops.

War on the poor campain. 700 more unemployed, less shopping options for low cost clothes... war on the poor.

Rubbish, the are still loads of low cost clothes shops around there, these people are just an obstruction and not paying the same overheads as the shops, best got rid of.

The Thai government only want high end quality tourists shopping at the major malls by the look of it, I like walking and weaving my way around these makeshift stalls who knows what you may find, it is much better than air con malls with overpriced designer shops.

Platinum mall and the others on the other side of the road, along with bo bay sq are not high end but very cheap, the only high end stuff around there is central world. These stalls are a damn nuisance, a safety hazard and the stuff is no cheaper than in the nearby proper shops.

Platinum mall and the others on the other side of the road, along with bo bay sq are not high end but very cheap, the only high end stuff around there is central world. These stalls are a damn nuisance, a safety hazard and the stuff is no cheaper than in the nearby proper shops.

Soon you Bankokonians will have a nice tidy city like Singapore, be careful what you wish for, your liable to get it

Quality tourists like to walk on wide clean perfect pavements on their way to the malls/hotels.

Pratunam was jampacked full you couldn't even walk there...And the vendors never show a price so they can easy extort anybody.

Get rid of streetvendors, powerwash the pavement and repair it....The vendors can go sit on the street somewhere upcountry and their clients can go there to buy from them. Or they can rent a shop in the Millenium fashionmall like hundreds others do as well.

They only sell cheap thrash for high prices, it will be broken soon and then dumped.

Next is to get rid of dripping aircons on the sidewalks....That's also a Thailand-only story.

If you mean a clean, safe, uncorrupt first world like country then I can hardly wait smile.png

Assuming you are not Thai yourself, what the hell are you doing here if thats what you want? Boring first world Singapore is but a short flight away.

The pavement on Ratchaparop Rd from the Indra Hotel all the way down to Petchaburi Rd is chock full of nuisance stalls who act like the own it.

Running parallel and just a few meters away is an extensive market selling the same kind of junk.

Why can't people who want to go shopping walk a few meters to the side into one of several entrances and walk along the market, leaving the pavement clear for people who want to get from A to B?

Common sense is what we are talking about - getting rid of the free for all and allowing stalls where it is logical.

If you mean a clean, safe, uncorrupt first world like country then I can hardly wait smile.png

Assuming you are not Thai yourself, what the hell are you doing here if thats what you want? Boring first world Singapore is but a short flight away.

Singapore is great! The only problem there is that there's too much designerbrands in EVERY mall...But they have great foodcourts, sidewalks , bars, restaurants and things to do while there on holiday.

Bring good shoes though because you'll have to walk a lot.

Singapore is civilized, Bankok is still has a slum mentality, but at least some people want to see it improved

Bangkok still has many uncivilized people living here. In which other country can you see customers in supermarkets (like Tesco or Makro) grabbing pieces of meat with their bare hands and then go pushing the cart/shopping again?

And those customers probably have restaurants......have a nice meal!

It seems that opinion here is quite divided on this issue. I myself sometimes get annoyed at not being able to walk comfortably due to some of these stalls, but OVERALL, I am happy with them, and they are part of the character of Bangkok, and also of course they provide work for many many people.