How Much Time to Transfer Stamp to New Passport

I am getting a new passport and will need to transfer my extension stamp to my new passport.

I know I should do it as soon as possible, but is there a time frame I need to have the stamp transferred to my new passport?

Thanks

I got a new passport in October, went in to CM (Airport) in Feb. to get the extension of stay transferred. No need to go early in the morning for the terrible queue, just turn up and go to the girls at the main desk and show them your passport - You MUST have a letter from your passport issuer formally requesting the transfer to the new passport. You also need EVERY page of your old passport photocopied (Including any blank pages) and then you need to sign every page of the copy.

Once you have handed that lot over it takes about an hour and no charges.

You need to have your 90 day report and your arrival card (I don't remember them asking for a photocopy of those but you may as well do it just in case)

Edited by menzies233

When you get your long time stay visa (retirement, work, etc.) transferred from your old passport to the new one be sure that you also get any re-entry or multi-entry stamp transferred.

If you don't get your re-entry or multi-entry stamp transferred you will lose your long time visa the next time you leave and return to Thailand. This means you will only be given a 30 day tourist visa and it will cost you a lot of extra money (in the order of 20,000 Bt) to get your long time stay visa back.

• Like 1

There is no written time period to do it.

Joe,

I have just read on this thread that I MUST have a letter from the passport Issuer that requests appropriate entries are transferred from the old to the new. This is the fist time I heard of this. Is my Passport Issuer in the UK? How do I get this letter?

EDIT

I just checked my paperwork and discovered I have that letter that was given to me with my new passport when I collected from the Passport Office in Bangkok.

One question while I am here: Can I get the transfers made from ANY Immigration Office or does it have to be the one I got them from originally - in my case - Chiang Mai? Thank you.

Edited by ChrisKC

• 3 months later...

You have to do it at the office that issued your extension unless you have moved and formally changed your address to a new office.

UJ

Can you confirm that I need to photocopy every page in my old passport (as posted above by member menzies), when getting the retirement extension and multy entry stamp transfered to my new passport. I want to be prepared to save time. Canadian Passport/Jomtiem immigration.

Please and thanks.

You have to do it at the office that issued your extension unless you have moved and formally changed your address to a new office.

UJ

Can you confirm that I need to photocopy every page in my old passport (as posted above by member menzies), when getting the retirement extension and multy entry stamp transfered to my new passport. I want to be prepared to save time. Canadian Passport/Jomtiem immigration.

Please and thanks.

I did mine at Hua Hin 3 months ago, no need to copy every page, just gave him my old PP, seems different offices have different rules

Also I was on a Tourist Visa, maybe different rules for extensions?

UJ

Please and thanks.

I did mine at Hua Hin 3 months ago, no need to copy every page, just gave him my old PP, seems different offices have different rules

Also I was on a Tourist Visa, maybe different rules for extensions?

Thanks for that darren.

When you get your long time stay visa (retirement, work, etc.) transferred from your old passport to the new one be sure that you also get any re-entry or multi-entry stamp transferred.

If you don't get your re-entry or multi-entry stamp transferred you will lose your long time visa the next time you leave and return to Thailand. This means you will only be given a 30 day tourist visa and it will cost you a lot of extra money (in the order of 20,000 Bt) to get your long time stay visa back

Yet again a poster uses all the wrong terms and just confuses the issue.

:-)

I just returned to Thailand on a new passport which I acquired in my home country. I used the re entry permit in my old passport to get back into Thailand without issue. If I transfer my extension of stay to my new passport do I also need a support letter, since I didn't get the passport from the embassy and my new passport now has a permission to stay stamp in it already.

Next week I'll have to apply for a new extension. Can I do the transfer and extension in one go? Is the transfer of the current about to expire extension of stay even necessary in this case?

Thanks.

Edited by Gulfsailor

I just returned to Thailand on a new passport which I acquired in my home country. I used the re entry permit in my old passport to get back into Thailand without issue. If I transfer my extension of stay to my new passport do I also need a support letter, since I didn't get the passport from the embassy and my new passport now has a permission to stay stamp in it already.

Next week I'll have to apply for a new extension. Can I do the transfer and extension in one go? Is the transfer of the current about to expire extension of stay even necessary in this case?

Thanks.

You may need a letter from your embassy to do the transfer dependent upon the office you have to use. Some do not ask for the letter if you have already used it for entry.

You can do the transfer and your extension application during the same trip to immigration.

They will transfer you current extension stamp to your new passport and do a stamp with spaces for them to enter your old passport info and the visa you used for entry.

Thanks.

You may need a letter from your embassy to do the transfer dependent upon the office you have to use. Some do not ask for the letter if you have already used it for entry.

You can do the transfer and your extension application during the same trip to immigration.

They will transfer you current extension stamp to your new passport and do a stamp with spaces for them to enter your old passport info and the visa you used for entry.

Thanks Ubonjoe!