Chinese tourists flock to apply for Thai driving licences in North

webfact

Chinese tourists flock to apply for Thai driving licences in North

80-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chinese tourists are now flocking to several Thailand's northern cities not only for sightseeing, shopping, many of them are coming in caravans with other purposes, one of which is to apply for driving licences as they deem it is easier and faster to obtain than applying in their own country.

This is going to cause headaches to local Thai authorities as now statistics showed increasing number of road accidents caused by these tourists driving their own vehicles into the country.

Recent statistics showed that more than 6,000 cars were driven in during the last four months, and over 100 Chinese have applied for Thai driving licence over the past two months in Chiang Mai province which is among three popular destination of Chinese tourists.

One reason they gave for applying for Thai driving licences is that Thai driving licence can be used in several other countries.

Besides Thai driving licence can also be converted into a Chinese licence when they return homes.

One Chinese tourist said it is difficult to get a Chinese driving licence.

In getting one, the man says he has to have a certificate from a driving school and sit in a paper test. This process could take half a year and it is also costly.

Now local authorities issued regulations requiring all Chinese who wish to bring their cars to Thailand to buy third-class car insurance and to apply for a temporary driving licence.

Besides, applicant for driving licence has to undertake the same driving test as Thais.

Chiang Mai transport officials said in order to get the temporary driving licence in the country, Chinese applicant need to have a Chinese driving licence and they will also have to sit in a lesson on Thai traffic regulations.

The new measure is expected to help ensure safety of foreign drivers when driving in Thailand and to reduce the number of road accidents caused by foreign drivers in Chiang Mai.

According to authorities, many Chinese tourists also preferred to choosing motorbike as their mean of travel in Thailand than other transport mode although some have no experience in riding.

They prefer to getting a license in Thailand to making one in China given a range of benefits the Thai licence offers.

Some hire motorbike for practicing. Many use their rental motorbike to carry 3 passengers and do not wear helmet.

Most accidents caused by Chinese are resulted from riders’ lack of understanding of the Thai traffic regulations, said a motorcycle rental service operator in Chiang Mai.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/153376

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-03

So Chinese who don't have a driving license in their home country are driving their cars into Thailand, via Laos to get a Thai driving licence which circumvents the rules for doing the Chinese driving test.

Thailand the Hub of Chinese Driving Licenses !

"One Chinese tourist said it is difficult to get a Chinese driving licence.

In getting one, the man says he has to have a certificate from a driving school and sit in a paper test. This process could take half a year and it is also costly."

So in other words in China they have to learn how to drive and prove they can do so.

Sounds good to me.

In getting one, the man says he has to have a certificate from a driving school and sit in a paper test. This process could take half a year and it is also costly."

So in other words in China they have to learn how to drive and prove they can do so.

Sounds good to me.

Yes in China to get a driver's licence you have to pass a computerized test scoring 90/100 or more to pass - 100 out of 1500 possible questions are taken at random and you have to memorize them precisely. If taking the test in English or another foreign language as a foreigner (I think Arabic, Japanese, Korean and French are the other options) be aware of Chinglish or Arabese or Chinjapanes etc.) translations, which makes it even harder.

However, if you have a foreign driver's licence already that's the only "challenge" because no practical driving test is necessary.

It does concern me that up until now, some Chinese driver's were allowed to exit China, enter Laos, exit and then enter Thailand without any sort of driver's licence despite the fact that the Chinese authorities are said to be quite strict about requiring all driver's in China (foreigners included) to possess some sort of Chinese temporary or permanent driver's licence.

That is now finally changing for Chinese driver's wishing to come to Thailand with their own cars, as this article explains:

englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/153050

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Chailand, the trailer park of SE Asia. The PM is reaping what he sowed. Just wait to see what arrives when the Beijing express is completed.

Kunming express actually. I'm assuming you are referring to the Thailand-Laos-China high speed railway project that is projected to connect Kunming to Bangkok via Jinghong, Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Nong Khai, Kaeng Khoi and then Bangkok/Kaeng Khoi-Mapthaphut.

If so, expect more Chinese travelers but without their cars. Well, then again fewer of them will be coming with their cars anyway starting soon due to new regulations in order to bring their cars in, which will slow down the flow somewhat.

Sounds good to me.

However, in Thailand....Slipping the tester a few hundred baht use to work in the past. That is, if they even bothered to obtain a driver's license for the vehicle with the registration tag that expires in 2544. With the Chinese hungering for a driver's license, you can expect that price to increase to 1000-2000 baht.

No problem, they won't be any more unqualified or more dangerous than Thais who pay or ignore to get a license.

Edited by jaltsc

Australia has a P plate for new drivers that has to be displayed, Maybe the powers to be can make plates up for these Chinese new drivers, with a capital T , that can be seen by other road users , thus enabling drivers to be extra cautious than we are already,

So they drive to CM to get a DL, so they can convert to a ChinDL? does that mean they no have a DL when they enter and drive in the kingdom? confused....

Recent statistics showed that more than 6,000 cars were driven in during the last four months, and over 100 Chinese have applied for Thai driving licence over the past two months in Chiang Mai province which is among three popular destination of Chinese tourists.

--> Some of the passengers in those 6000 cars entered thailand and applied for D/L. they will get a temporary thai D/L (like I had, valid for 1 year only, renewed every year, even on TR visa) and then go back to China with that licence allowing them to swap against proper Chinese D/L. I tried the same thing in my country (where I hold no D/L) but they don't accept Thai D/L.

How long will it take for Thai authorities to give the Chinese a "special" permit or license, to drive in Thailand?

Possibly something like the UK allowing Poles etc to enter and drive without tax, insurance or anything, same same really.

It was a long time ago when I got my Thai license but I see to recall I needed my house certificate, a letter from immigration, non b visa etc etc... How does a tourist do all of this?

On a tourist visa, really. This should be nipped in the bud.

Same test as the Thais= no real test at all. been there, done that, not colourblind=licence.

Exactly..don't you have to show residency here to be eligible for a license?

"Most accidents caused by Chinese are resulted from riders' lack of understanding of the Thai traffic regulations."

Hahaha.

What's to understand?

I Thailand motorbikes drive themselves! That's why people don't look when they pull onto a main road...

thats are some good ideas !

Let them make some driving test,

theoretical and practical,

and than a temporarly DL for the time they have

a full paid booking for the time of the holiday !

They not coming for holiday for a long stay -

they come for illegal work for which they need than private transport !!

Sounds good to me.

I can assure you that driving in Thailand is paradise compared with driving in China!

Australia has a P plate for new drivers that has to be displayed, Maybe the powers to be can make plates up for these Chinese new drivers, with a capital T , that can be seen by other road users , thus enabling drivers to be extra cautious than we are already,

Capital idea, leeneeds! Then I don't have to wait until these drivers beep to chase me off the road (>-<) one needs to be quick off the mark LOL

How can Chinese tourists get driving licences. it is a requirement that you have a non immigrant visa and are resident here to apply, so are Chinese getting round these requirements while those of us who want to be here legally comply with all requirements??

How can Chinese tourists get driving licences. it is a requirement that you have a non immigrant visa and are resident here to apply, so are Chinese getting round these requirements while those of us who want to be here legally comply with all requirements??

Nope that is not a requirement. I've applied for a new/renewal of my Thai licence on a Thai tourist visa or exemption.

I think for the 5-year version you're supposed to be on a non-imm or imm visa but that does not mean there aren't exceptions to the rule.

How can a Chinese tourist get a drivers license in Thailand and someone from the west can't?

I am from the west and hold a Thai driver's licence.

I also hold a Chinese driver's licence.

I even hold Cambodian and Vietnamese driver's licences.

How can that be?

LOL.

Anyone can get a Thai driver's licences - more westerners hold them than Chinese.

'One Chinese tourist said it is difficult to get a Chinese driving licence ... he has to have a certificate from a driving school and sit in a paper test.' Well, well, a proper process. No wonder Thailand's 'system' beckons. But how does a Chinese resident fulfil the Thailand residence requirement?
'Many use their rental motorbike to carry 3 passengers and do not wear helmet.' Er, am I missing a point of irony with this observation?
'Most accidents caused by Chinese are resulted from riders’ lack of understanding of the Thai traffic regulations ...' As are the many more caused by Thais.