Pesky Little Yellow Shield Won't Go Away!

Daffy D

Hi

I use IE with automatic updates and since sorting out the Genuine Advantage Validation “Upgrade” have had no problems with getting regular security updates and patches from M$

Some while go I downloaded and installed .NET Framework 2.0; this was heeded by some program or other. Everything was fine till a security update for .NET Framework came along with some other updates.

As usual I chose custom install just to check M$ was not trying to sneak in the GAV “Upgrade” again. All went well except the “.NET Framework security update was not installed”

OK! No big deal I’ll try again and again and again but though it went through the install motions the message always came up with “failed install”.

Maybe it’s a problem with the .NET program so checked in Add and Remove programs and did the repair option. Still the pesky yellow shield keeps coming up with “Updates ready to install”.

I then tried with Firefox WindizUpdate and sure enough it came up that I needed the .Net Framework KB922770 update. Same as pesky yellow shield has been trying unsuccessfully to install.

I downloaded and installed the .NET update from WindizUpdate successfully and thought would put an end to the pesky yellow shield from popping up.

Ah! But this is the real word and M$ - the pesky yellow shield keeps popping up on the taskbar with “updates are ready for your computer click here”. Also every time now when I turn off the computer I have to wait while “updates are being installed”

Obviously I have the relevant update already installed Via Firefox so why won’t the pesky little yellow shield just go away?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

D.D.

Daffy D - A couple of suggestions:

1. Before starting any update session, make sure ALL malware detectors (antivirus, spyware, etc) and "pop-up" blockers are turned OFF.

2. Next, read the Microsoft Database article Here, paying particular attention to "Method 3" under RESOLUTION.

3. Go to this website and click on item #4 and read the instructions.

Should you feel above is too technical, seek assistance from a knowledgeable friend who can provide hands-on help.

waldwolf

The better solution is to buy MS Windows XP official. You can get it now for special price 5990 Baht.

And you get huge discount when you upgrade to Vista....

Of course you also need to buy MS Office Professional, which cost around 29.000 Baht (O I forget for poor teachers they have MS Office student and teacher version cost only 7400 Baht)

Edited by Richard-BKK

Daffy D - A couple of suggestions:

1. Before starting any update session, make sure ALL malware detectors (antivirus, spyware, etc) and "pop-up" blockers are turned OFF.

2. Next, read the Microsoft Database article Here, paying particular attention to "Method 3" under RESOLUTION.

3. Go to this website and click on item #4 and read the instructions.

Should you feel above is too technical, seek assistance from a knowledgeable friend who can provide hands-on help.

waldwolf

I have been a bit busy the last week so have only just got round to looking at both solutions to my “pesky” problem. Realizing they were two slightly different methods I opted for the M$ solution.

I’m not very comfortable with DOS input but managed to follow the instructions without causing a meltdown or even a “you can’t do that” warning, and my little “pesky” friend did not appear when I restarted the computer.

So far so good. :D

Before connecting to the Internet I changed the Automatic Update from “Download updates but let me choose what to install” to “Inform me of available updates and let me choose what to download and install”

I then connected to the Internet and the “You have critical updates to download” message appeared and on viewing the updates the .NET download was there again but this time at M$ not on my computer yet.

On clicking the cancel button, I got the option “Do not show this update again” you bet! Click again! And have not had "pesky" appear since.

So WALDWOLF thanks for the help.

It’s not always easy to find the right key words to “Google” for solutions and with a dial up connection it can take hours to get no where at all. It is therefore much appreciated when some one who knows more than me or has solved a similar problem in the past passes on that information.

I hope in the future to return the favors and supply answers to problems I have encountered and solved to members of this forum.

:o

D.D.

The better solution is to buy MS Windows XP official. You can get it now for special price 5990 Baht.

Of course you also need to buy MS Office Professional, which cost around 29.000 Baht (O I forget for poor teachers they have MS Office student and teacher version cost only 7400 Baht)

smile

good advice ... at 34.990 bht

smile

smile

good advice ... at 34.990 bht

smile

No money, no honey :o Maybe OpenOffice 2.04 is the best solution then.

.....I use IE with automatic updates and since sorting out the Genuine Advantage Validation “Upgrade” have had no problems with getting regular security updates and patches from M$......
From this statement, why do some assume DD has an illegal copy of XP?

It is a well known fact as many as 40% of legal WindowsXP owners have encountered problems updating their systems, due to problems with the Genuine Advantage software and Microsoft servers. The following is an extract from a ZDNet.UK article posted earlier this month:

A potentially nightmarish scenario opened up for Microsoft this week when it discovered that legitimate users were being locked out of their software......

On Wednesday, Microsoft's Phil Liu wrote in a Windows blog that he was giving Windows users a "heads up" on the problem.

According to Liu, "some [volume licensing] customers may have experienced problems with WGA validation". Users of Windows XP were finding that their systems were "failing validation or reporting as non-genuine". In other words, their systems were being seen by SWA as illegal systems with software that had been copied or had come from a non-genuine source.

The problem was "the result of an issue on the Microsoft server side, and we are still investigating the cause", Liu wrote, but did not say how the problem occurred or give an estimate of when it would be fixed by.......

Lets not convict a fellow member of "piracy", without proof.

waldwolf