2 Chinese arrested after Thai police seize 900,000 pairs of fake sunglasses

snoop1130

2 Chinese arrested after Thai police seize 900,000 pairs of fake sunglasses
Kwaang Siripoom

post-249866-0-04993300-1457014881_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- Police have arrested two Chinese nationals after a huge haul of fake sunglasses was seized in the Yaowarat area of Bangkok on Wednesday.

Officers from the Department of Special Investigations carried out dawn raids at seven locations in China town which resulted in the seizure of 895, 897 pairs of counterfeit Ray Ban, Luis Vuitton and Oakley sunglasses, which had they been genuine would be worth around 130 million Baht.

Pol. Col. Songsak Raksaksakul confirmed the arrest of two Chinese nationals, Ms Ton Ting Cu and Mr Hong Jee Zu who were paraded in front of the media on Thursday afternoon. Both have been charged with possession of contraband goods.

Police believe the pair are part of a large scale counterfeiting operation which originates from mainland China.

Police also said that Mr Hong has previously been charged in relation to possession counterfeit goods.

The arrests came after police received complaints that Chinese nationals were importing fake sunglasses and selling them in Bangkok.

Police said the fake sunglasses had been made in China but were assembled and had logos added in Thailand and were due to be sold in shops throughout Yaowarat.

Pol. Col. Songsak said the DSI would be asking immigration officials to revoke the permission of stay for the pair to remain in Thailand.

Officials from the Italian embassy in Bangkok were also present at the press briefing.

Source: Khaosod.co.th

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-03

"The arrests came after police received complaints that Chinese nationals were importing fake sunglasses and selling them in Bangkok."

Tut, tut, tut, naughty Chinese.

Don't they know this is a reserved occupation?

Oh the horror of it all.

Edited by Bluespunk

"The arrests came after police received complaints that Chinese nationals were importing fake sunglasses and selling them in Bangkok."

Tut, tut, tut, naughty Chinese.

Don't they know this is a reserved occupation?

Oh the horror of it all.

Do not forget the product was finished in Thailand, but no arrests for those who did the job?

"895, 897 pairs - worth around 130 million Baht." that's $4.15 per pair for genuine ones (145 baht)

Each put into smallest possible cardboard box, maybe 3.5cm x 4cm x 14.5cm ... amounts 181 cubic meters.

Would be something like 6 x 6 x 5 meters pile - or 3 full 40ft containers. Well, latter believable and clearly a huge amount - but please tell me where I can get originals for 145 baht each. I'd like to buy some! (wonder what these fakes would have been sold for)

Oh jesus what a load of utter nonsense

There is a very open and popular shop in the Pratunam area that sells a wide variety of counterfeit sunglasses at 150 baht a pop.

The simple fact is the Chinese are breaking the law instead of Thais and that is what has the police getting into action - one law for them and one law for the rest of us.

"895, 897 pairs - worth around 130 million Baht." that's $4.15 per pair for genuine ones (145 baht)

Each put into smallest possible cardboard box, maybe 3.5cm x 4cm x 14.5cm ... amounts 181 cubic meters.

Would be something like 6 x 6 x 5 meters pile - or 3 full 40ft containers. Well, latter believable and clearly a huge amount - but please tell me where I can get originals for 145 baht each. I'd like to buy some! (wonder what these fakes would have been sold for)

Go to any market and pick a pair for 100 baht, then go to sticker shop and buy any brand sticker for 20 baht.

Quality would be the same, just better lens ;)

Edited by PattayaAl

Pol. Col. Songsak Raksaksakul confirmed the arrest of two Chinese nationals, Ms Ton Ting Cu and Mr Hong Jee Zu who were paraded in front of the media on Thursday afternoon. Both have been charged with possession of contraband goods. _______________ hey why no photo of the 2 arrested ? no finger pointing either, hmmm ? ?

fake sunglasses had been made in China

No, they're not fake until assembled with distinctive features and logos. I'm sure the Chinese suppliers and perhaps even Chinese authorities are aware that the buyers intend to sell the glasses as authentic fashion wear. But so long as it's not sold in China, not a crime.

So this problem will continue as Thai authorities cannot afford to retaliate against the Chinese government. That would in part a closer relationship with Western countries and Prayut is fast closing that bridge.