Learning Math through Mastery, Not Memorization

Interesting article for parents with kids in pre-Primary on. The issue right now is that schools just skim the surface of every Math topic and before the child has an opportunity to grasp the concepts, they move on.

This situation forces the child to go into "memorization" mode to pass exams. The issue with this is that cognitive and problem solving skills fly out of the window due to the lack of understanding.

Unfortunately it makes no difference if the child is in a local Thai school or an International school... as we all know... "same same but different".

http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/math/math-tips-for-parents/whats-singapore-math/

Edited by roadrunerboi

Where in Singapore Maths is there facility for children to learn at their own pace and master a topic, before they move on to another topic? Singaporeans excel in many subjects, through hard work, but they are still very exam centric, as indicated by the number of exam practice books their country publishes and sells. Many Thai schools also use their books, but the work ethic is totally different. Hence our students still perform poorly, even if they use high quality material.

Where in Singapore Maths is there facility for children to learn at their own pace and master a topic, before they move on to another topic? Singaporeans excel in many subjects, through hard work, but they are still very exam centric, as indicated by the number of exam practice books their country publishes and sells. Many Thai schools also use their books, but the work ethic is totally different. Hence our students still perform poorly, even if they use high quality material.

All points valid. It is not only the hardware but the software and more importantly... the delivery of the material.

"Teachers" collectively, over the years have invented many half baked "schemes" which are alleged to improve outcome.

Unfortunately , while some theses schemes become "flavour of the month" very few survive the test of time or deliver the claimed results.

It is Good Teachers who make the difference not some flash textbook or computer program.

It makes me wonder how I ever managed to achieve an "A" grade pass in my A level maths examination. Comparing exam papers from my day to those taken by present day students reveal a significant degree of "dumbing down", another favorite tactic of the "teaching profession" which produces artificial results claimed as "improved" outcome.

It is Good Teachers who make the difference not some flash textbook or computer program.

Another well-said point. The quality control of the teachers everywhere is the key to your child's success. That is why the Singapore education system is respected throughout the World.

Qualification is only part of the equation (no pun intended) because there is also dedication and love of dealing with kids... that is also very important.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/students-ace-the-a-levels-with-best-performance-in-10-years?&utm_source=google_gmail&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=addtoany

Often it is asked why is Singapore's education system and standard so admired elsewhere? I think part of the answer is given in paragraphs 3 to 5 in this article... and it substantiates all the points made in this thread...