America and the Oscars

I had my tv on the other night and wasnot paying attention to what was on. I was listening and not watching not even sure what was on. When I realized it was the oscars I felt not interested. But the host started to talk about the blacks boycott so I decided to listen to what he had to say. I am not American but I was in shock how this guy used his hosting position to say the things he did. I could only listen to him for a little while he had my blood boiling with his racism statements. He had his moment of glory I hope he never hosts another program ever. I am so glad I am not American. Having to live with that must be painful.

Yeah, the host Chris Rock was way out of line. The "race" issue is a strong one here in the USA. Of course there are people and executives in Hollywood that are racist. And of course there are many that are not. To generalize things as Rock did was just rude and crude. But he always was a bitter person about race. Just look at that scene in the Mel Gibson cop movies where Rock is a cop and in the back seat and he gets snickered at by Joe Pesci. Rock wasn't acting when he pulled out his gun and lashed back at the Pesci character.

Chris Rock's humor has always been hit or miss. When it comes to race humor he's too divisive and cynical to be funny, IMO, but he can fill up concert halls with it. And like a lot of African-American comedians he thinks he has full license to make any comment on any race -- well, I guess he does because you rarely him called out on it. IMO (again) this does not do anyone any good. I didn't watch the Oscars, but I heard he's getting some flack for making Asian jokes.

A few years ago Rock fostered a comedian (African American, of course), got him his own show. I watched it once and the guy wasn't really a comedian, more of an Al Sharpton type. The show didn't last long.

Yea, several weeks before the actual Academy Awards Show when the Oscar nominees were first released to the public, it was major news focused on how Hollywood is still "white" at heart. And with Chris Rock being the host for the Academy Awards I think everyone was pretty much expecting the kind of jokes and one-liners he threw out. Now, with the show behind us, it's back to normal until next year around this time when the issue will no doubt raise its head again...nothing new.