More foreigners caught on overstay

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that this victimless crime and the overall suspicion and hatred(?) towards foreigners is going to make this place more and more unpopular. Word spreads when guys taking care of their families but not being able to do all the necessary paperwork and travel for it get kicked out...

...er...thinking about it...maybe I should overstay and get deported for a loooong time...would save me a pretty penny... wai.gif

Remind me again................ why are they "not able to do the necessary paperwork?"

It's seems obvious that long term over-stayers must be hiding something or hiding from something. Otherwise, wouldn't they just abide by the immigration laws of the host country??? Why else wouldn't they??? And please don't go off on one-in-a-million 'in a coma' BS tangent.

I'm not at all for random "stop and search" without due cause, but if that is what it takes to help curtail this chronic problem...then so be it. Follow the immigration laws of the host country and nothing to be concerned about.

Edited by Skeptic7

It's seems obvious that long term over-stayers must be hiding something or hiding from something. Otherwise, wouldn't they just abide by the immigration laws of the host country??? Why else wouldn't they??? And please don't go off on one-in-a-million 'in a coma' BS tangent.

I'm not at all for random "stop and search" without due cause, but if that is what it takes to help curtail this chronic problem...then so be it. Follow the immigration laws of the host country and nothing to be concerned about.

Money coupled with ill health.

Someone i knew, just went up country and died 4 years latter there.

was on an over stay when he decided to go.

So is that an answer for you ?.

what a criminal he was, paying for the family to the end.coffee1.gif

Remind me again................ why are they "not able to do the necessary paperwork?"

Say for example they're under 50, living on 20k/month, and supporting a Thai girlfriend and / or children. They have just about enough money to do that without issue, Thais live on the same amount. But they don't have the 400k in savings to get married, and if they did tourist visa extensions it'd eat into their monthly budget by around 5k baht/month, on average, factoring in flights and hotels. Plus at any moment they could be rejected - maybe they were already told this tourist visa is your last one. So they overstay, and live on a Thai budget and harm nobody.

You can make the case that these people should never have been allowed into the country in the first place, to form attachments with a woman here and fall low on funds, but that's a separate issue. Thailand is partly to blame there because it's dependent on tourism income, it opens its borders to anyone, and once here makes it very easy to go off the rails and fall low on money - restricted employment categories, no social welfare, can't fully own a business or house so it can be taken from you easily, and so on.

Edited by jspill

Syrian Alla Mzeal, 30, was found walking near Soi 18 and Second Road on Feb. 25. He had overstayed 487 days.

So they are now stopping people at random in the streets ?

Nice and friendly, how many tourists were stopped before they

come up with this guy ? ( crime of the century ) coffee1.gif

It could be a bit like a Magic show.

You don't see what the other hand is up to. whistling.gif

If it helps to get rid of people who are taking the p*ss and overstaying, then I'm happy to be stopped once a day as it happens. The fact of the matter is that many of them are criminals in their own right. Send them back home I say.

Say for example they're under 50, living on 20k/month, and supporting a Thai girlfriend and / or children. They have just about enough money to do that without issue, Thais live on the same amount. But they don't have the 400k in savings to get married, and if they did tourist visa extensions it'd eat into their monthly budget by around 5k baht/month, on average, factoring in flights and hotels. Plus at any moment they could be rejected - maybe they were already told this tourist visa is your last one. So they overstay, and live on a Thai budget and harm nobody.

You can make the case that these people should never have been allowed into the country in the first place, to form attachments with a woman here and fall low on funds, but that's a separate issue. Thailand is partly to blame there because it's dependent on tourism income, it opens its borders to anyone, and once here makes it very easy to go off the rails and fall low on money - restricted employment categories, no social welfare, can't fully own a business or house so it can be taken from you easily, and so on.

Thailand is not to blame at all - that is a fallacious argument. To say that Thais live on less than that is also irrelevant - does Thailand really want a hardcore of Farang peasants joining the ranks of their own 30 million peasants ?? I suspect not.

Thailand sets the rules and it sets those at a not unreasonable amount. 40k per month is only GBP 800 and if someone cannot generate that, then no - they should not be allowed to reside here. Let them try and take a wife back to the UK to live - GBP 18,600 without kids is a lot harder to find.

These people are not allowed in - they are overstaying illegally.

If they come for a holiday they can stay without a visa for 30 days - try taking a partner to the UK for 30 days! Of course they can come in on tourist visas and spend at least 6 months here. They can go to Vientiane and get a Non Immigrant O based on marriage - that enables them to stay in the country for 90 days at a time.

Quite simply, if you are saying that someone who is under 50 and does not have a job (here or in his home country) and cannot generate 40,000 Baht per month should be allowed to stay then I disagree entirely.

What is he doing, waiting for the jackpot of a state pension at age 66 ???

If I sound unsympathetic it is because I am. It is because I worked for 35 years to put myself in the position where I could satisfy immigration requirements and enjoy my retirement in the country of my choice - legitimately.

However, the fact remains, as we both know, that the individual you describe (who has the princely sum of GBP100 p.w.) can play out time until he is 50 then beg, steal or borrow the thick end of 15,000 Baht and buy a retirement extension in Pattaya. Maybe that is the one the authorities should tackle next.........................

From Thailand back to Syria after being here on overstay for 487 days. Depending on

where he is from he may not have mush to go back to. Best of luck to the dude.

I am surprised he did not claim refugee status. coffee1.gif

No doubt it is Thailand's fault that these low life foreigners have overstayed.

Amazing that for some on here Thailand is such a corrupt, despicable place to live yet so many are illegal overstays.

Don't tell me they have been made to stay here against their will, and they recently have managed to escape their captors and now wish to return to some grotty little council slum in the UK, where life is much lighter and brighter, and we all hold hands and skip through sun drenched meadows with not a care in the world.

Yes that must be it!

Steady,, that throbbing noise in your head is your blood pressure.. Go and have a cup of tea and a nice lie down.

Your points / assumptions are so wrong os so many levels I don't even know where to start so I won't.

The Thai police might be turning a blind eye to a million other obvious crimes everyday but the law is the law so fair play to them for enforcing it. I have had my fair share of moaning about the ineffective police force so have to support when they are actually doing their job.

Syrian Alla Mzeal, 30, was found walking near Soi 18 and Second Road on Feb. 25. He had overstayed 487 days.

So these people are staying in Thailand illegally and the authorities actually do something about it.

You are complaining about THAT ?

I think you have your priorities skewed and you are firing your bullets in the wrong direction.

Couldn't have said it better myself - I can't wait until after 20 March, they will be singing a different tune when they are picked up after that.

Thailand is not to blame at all - that is a fallacious argument. To say that Thais live on less than that is also irrelevant - does Thailand really want a hardcore of Farang peasants joining the ranks of their own 30 million peasants ?? I suspect not.

Thailand sets the rules and it sets those at a not unreasonable amount. 40k per month is only GBP 800 and if someone cannot generate that, then no - they should not be allowed to reside here. Let them try and take a wife back to the UK to live - GBP 18,600 without kids is a lot harder to find.

If they come for a holiday they can stay without a visa for 30 days - try taking a partner to the UK for 30 days! Of course they can come in on tourist visas and spend at least 6 months here. They can go to Vientiane and get a Non Immigrant O based on marriage - that enables them to stay in the country for 90 days at a time.

Quite simply, if you are saying that someone who is under 50 and does not have a job (here or in his home country) and cannot generate 40,000 Baht per month should be allowed to stay then I disagree entirely.

If I sound unsympathetic it is because I am. It is because I worked for 35 years to put myself in the position where I could satisfy immigration requirements and enjoy my retirement in the country of my choice - legitimately.

However, the fact remains, as we both know, that the individual you describe (who has the princely sum of GBP100 p.w.) can play out time until he is 50 then beg, steal or borrow the thick end of 15,000 Baht and buy a retirement extension in Pattaya. Maybe that is the one the authorities should tackle next.........................

I am happy for you that you have provisioned so well for your retirement, really, good for you. However, there are many that did not, or could not afford to and frankly you should not concern yourself with someone else's financial status.

Some people have less then you, some have more, and it will always be so.

To me the issue here is pretty simple, there are laws in Thailand that people must adhere to, if they dont they risk deportation and as of 20th March a blacklisting from entering the country. Whether they had enough money or not enough money is irrelevant.

Wheres the logic in stepping up efforts to find overstayers before the new regulations? Its so very nice that the police cares about Thailands overstayers. But on the other hand they will loose tea money if they ban them for many years.... What are they telling those overstayers?. Well mr we had to catch you because next week you would not be able to enter Thailand for 5 years or?

Couldn't have said it better myself - I can't wait until after 20 March, they will be singing a different tune when they are picked up after that.

It could be you singing a different tune.

after being stopped for the second time in one day in pattaya.

i assume you live in Pattaya ? hope you have your Papers with you.!!!!!!!!

Only time will tell.

Maybe it could be the next money collection system coming shock1.gif

hope not

Plenty of more impotent stuff out there, i think.

then the small potato Foreigner on an overstay. coffee1.gif

Whoop whoop

Edited by onemorechang

300 days over overstay = 300 days of crime. Most overstayers have a criminal background with an interpol red or amber flag, or are on the run from the law, or are committing crimes here such as fraud or theft. They are stupid and insulting the system here out of arrogance. They work and don't pay tax- they contribute nothing but think they are above the law.

Edited by The manic

300 days over overstay = 300 days of crime. Most overstayers have a criminal background with an interpol red or amber flag, or are on the run from the law, or are committing crimes here such as fraud or theft. They are stupid and insulting the system here out of arrogance. They work and don't pay tax- they contribute nothing but think they are above the law.

Thank god your not in-charge. shock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gif

They are stupid and insulting the system here out of arrogance. They work and don't pay tax- they contribute nothing but think they are above the law.

They are attracted to, and thrive in, Thailand's system though. With all the vice, elastic laws, police corruption, etc. here.

A Thailand without any criminals or overstayers wouldn't be the same country, it'd have to be much more developed, economically strong, less dependent on foreign tourism.

Then it'd start setting criteria for who can enter, who can retire here, basically raise the bar in every way.

What I'm getting at is if there was to ever be a Thailand without all the criminality, then you probably wouldn't have been able to ever come here either. It'd resemble a western country, have a much higher cost of living, and so on.

You have to take the bad with the good.

I am happy for you that you have provisioned so well for your retirement, really, good for you. However, there are many that did not, or could not afford to and frankly you should not concern yourself with someone else's financial status.

Some people have less then you, some have more, and it will always be so.

To me the issue here is pretty simple, there are laws in Thailand that people must adhere to, if they dont they risk deportation and as of 20th March a blacklisting from entering the country. Whether they had enough money or not enough money is irrelevant.

Of course money is relevant, it is at the heart of the immigration rules for extensions of stay.

I certainly have no concern for anyone else's financial situation - except where overstayers are adversely impacting on my legitimate quiet enjoyment of Thailand. Given that overstayers were quoted as the reason for home visits for retirement extensions (along with a couple more hoops to jump through) then I am delighted that the authorities are tackling the issue and imposing stricter penalties. I have no fundamental issue with document checks.

Whether the authorities will treat everyone with respect, during these document checks, is another issue,

Any developing country will have it's share of undesirables, criminals, down and out overstayers etc. You can't avoid that.

You chose to retire in a developing country because of low barriers to entry, low cost of living and easy women.

How are you so sure of that? Are you one of them? Did you do research on the subject? Try talking out of your mouth, not your ass! coffee1.gif

How are you so sure of that? Are you one of them? Did you do research on the subject? Try talking out of your mouth, not your ass! coffee1.gif

Yes I have known quite a few in India and in Thailand, many were on the run from the law, from conscription, were junkies and petty thieves, criminals and beggars. It is because I know this that I submitted my opinion to the thread. Too overstay for hundreds of days demonstrates a contempt for the law which is why criminals often overstay. They are law breakers. If you live for for hundreds of days without sorting t he matter out you are making a daily conscious decision to live as an illegal and a parasite. They are not tourists or 'over stayers' but they are illegal immigrants. That is why they are being rounded up. Good. I suggest you get a bit more life experience before advising people as to the validity of their opinions. Given the current security problems with international terrorism it is essential for all our sakes that illegal immigrants living beneath the radar get dealt with. It is Thai law and it is not a harsh law. It is very reasonable and the punishment mild. Please get off your high horse about these undeserving, over entitled criminals.

Say for example...NOT Thailand's problem and certainly not mine. Say for example...I couldn't care less.

Follow the host country's immigration laws or GTFO.

Edited by Skeptic7

So overstay 4 years is a soft crime then?

To me it shows complete contempt. Do it in Aus or USA and see if you get a slap on the wrist and told naughty boy

It isn't even a soft crime, it isn't a crime at all.

A good hint is that detained over stayers are not charged with a crime. It is only a crime for our tireless TVF crime fighters, people who take pleasure in other peoples misery.

People who over stay are deported, it's a civil procedure, like riding without a helmet, not a crime!

If it helps to get rid of people who are taking the p*ss and overstaying, then I'm happy to be stopped once a day as it happens. The fact of the matter is that many of them are criminals in their own right. Send them back home I say.

For your own convenience, would you support introducing some sort of national data base, and a small, unintrucive id number or a scannable bar code tattood on your arm, that makes the daily road checks smoother, and more efficent for both you, and authorities?

Wheres the logic in stepping up efforts to find overstayers before the new regulations? Its so very nice that the police cares about Thailands overstayers. But on the other hand they will loose tea money if they ban them for many years.... What are they telling those overstayers?. Well mr we had to catch you because next week you would not be able to enter Thailand for 5 years or?

It would probably surprise a lot of people that everybody is fully aware of the 20th deadline. Detaining some people now and deporting without blacklisting is a good way to spread the news faster of things to come after the 20th.

To be honest I don't think they really need the tea-money.