Thai Tourist Visa In Vientiane

Dear fellow Thai Travellers,

My 30 Day Extension on my Tourist VISA is about to expire and I’d like to stay in Thailand until mid-December. I’m planning on going to Vientiane to get a new Tourist VISA for 60 more days at the Thai Embassy there. Has anyone done this before? How long does it take to process the VISA? I’ll be arriving in Vientiane early in the morning, and hope to leave again that night back to Bangkok.

This is my first time going out of the country to get a new VISA.

Any info or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Lindsay :o

My 30 Day Extension on my Tourist VISA is about to expire and I’d like to stay in Thailand until mid-December. I’m planning on going to Vientiane to get a new Tourist VISA for 60 more days at the Thai Embassy there. Has anyone done this before? How long does it take to process the VISA? I’ll be arriving in Vientiane early in the morning, and hope to leave again that night back to Bangkok.

Thanks so much,

It would seem from what has been reported here over the last month that getting a visa from the Vientiane Embassy is not a sure thing, especially as this will be a back-to-back visa for you. It would be very inconvenient and a waste of money if you went all the way to Laos and got refused.

If I was you, I'd consider doing a few border visa runs between now and December. You'll have no problem with that as you'll only need to do 2 runs (3 allowed). In Pattaya I can find Cambodia visa run services for as low as 1,700 baht and it takes about 8/9 hours.

It's possible also that you could do one run and apply for a 15 day extension at the Immigration Office which would take you to around mid-December. I wouldn't think you'd be refused a 15 day extension.

I was on a 1 yr Non-imm B visa, with 10 mo remaining, when I quit my job. That visa was officially cancelled by my employer contacting the immigration office. The visa sticker of course was still in my passport.

I had seven days to leave the country. I went to Vientien, Lao to get a Thai tourist visa. I arrived on wednesday, submitted the forms on Thursday, and picked up the new visa on Friday.

Unfortunately, the issued only a 30 day tourist visa. So I will have to go back shortly. I would do the border run but I understand that this can only be done 3 times then you have to leave the country for months. I have to stay here at least though february for personal reasons...

Funny thing, when I came back to Bangkok airport, the immig. official did not see my new visa and let me enter on my old non-imm B and stamped entry valid until aug 2007.

All this thai tourist visa questions are really meaningless at the moment.

One day you hear that KL is the best, then there is a guy who don't get a double entry there,

the day it is the same about Phnom Pen, which was often recommended as the best place, no it seems to be the worst for at least two thaivisa members. Same for Kunming, some say the most helpfull consulate, another tells us they are scumbags pissing me off etc. etc.

Thanks so much,

I went to Vientiane on 15th of October for a tourist visa and got a 2 month visa without any real problems. If you haven't been before everything should be fine. When I went it was a lot busier than normal, so I would suggest getting there early. All you need to do is wait in a long line in the sun, don't forget to fill in the form and have 2 photos and a photocopy of your passport is useful too. They take your passport, then you wait until you are led to an air-con room and pay your 1000 bhat. You then need to pick up your passport the following day, between 12 and 3.

On another note, anybody else reading this, it may be useful to know that if you have had a tv from Vientiene previously there is a possibility you may be refused in the future. I got my visa, but they also added a remark on the page, "The holder of this passport travels in Thailand under a tourist visa several several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future"

This is now my 3rd tv from Laos.