Billion Wireless Router

crockett

Hi,

Before I call the truly useless True helpline, I'd like to ask you gurus out there first.

Here is the problem:

I am using a True 2Mb/s connection with a wireless Billion router (don't know the exact

model right now because I am not at home). The other day the router went dead, so True

put a new board in. All lights were up again, so far so good. During the setup of the router

you need to supply a 5 digit WEP key in order to be able to connect to the internet. These

five digits are the last 5 digits of the router's MAC address.

Since the router has a new board, it also has a new MAC address. However, when entering

the 5 digits of the new MAC address, it won't connect to the internet saying there is limited or

no connectivity. Strangely, if I connect router and laptop via LAN cable it establishes an

internet connection. Any idea anybody? :o

Edited by crockett

You should be able to login to the setup page in your router. Normally they give you something like http://181.156.0.1 to type into Internet Explorer but the exact address you would have to obtain from your setup manual. If you havent set a password to access the router then you should do so. Once into the setup you should be able to find a page which gives you the mac address. I am using a Netgear router so mine will be somewhat different to yours but they all work in much the same way.

Question did you flash any new firmware into the router?

I not belief True replaces PCB's in one PCB devices for which they are not selected as service center.

Currently most one PCB devices are fully replaced, as replacing the whole device is cheaper then opening and replacing the PCB. The plastic house cost something like less then 1 US$.

P.S. Keep me informed I would really like to know who told you that the PCM was replaced and where this happened.

Richard,

No, I did not flash new firmware into the router. When it went dead, I took the thing to the True shop in CP Tower, Silom. The guy there told me that, since I got the router more than one month ago, they cannot do anything and I need to take it to their service agent for repair. The service agent is a small company called Astra on Paholyothin Road. The guy there replaced the PCB while I was sitting next to him.

Edited by crockett

Okay I understand it now, anyway the MAC address is not only located on the outside of the plastic case. They also have a sticker on the PCB itself. So if you not have a warranty sticker blocking you from open it yourself you can look inside.

Otherwise call Astra (02-617-3982) by the way Astra is not a True service center they are service center for Billion (and some more brands like Askey, Planet...etc)

Edited by Richard-BKK

Thanks richard, actually I do not need to open the router because I can see the MAC address in the status window when accessing the router. But still, I am unable to connect. The True server simply

won't accept the new MAC address as WEP key. Guess I'll need to check with True again.

Two quick suggestions;

1. Use your browser to access the router and you should see the MAC address on one of the screens of info.

2. I have a little programme called Etherchange that allows the MAC address to be changed.

You will find it out there on the web, or PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it. The size is only 40K.

Two quick suggestions;

1. Use your browser to access the router and you should see the MAC address on one of the screens of info.

2. I have a little programme called Etherchange that allows the MAC address to be changed.

You will find it out there on the web, or PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it. The size is only 40K.

Thanks astral,

I can see the MAC address when I access the router, no problem here.

Just before I talked to the True helpline. They told me to enter the last 10 digits instead of

the last 5 of the MAC address as WEP key. I'll try that later when I'm home.

If this does not work, I might come back to Etherchange.