What is the "Coolest" Bike Made in Thailand?

Stallion Centaur 150 Sport Classic.

Because I have one and it just is.

Game over

The Stallions is a now a real Thai brand motorcycle and made here in Thailand. At 150cc it is small enough to get through the crap traffic like a scooter and fun enough to know you are on a real bike.

It has the inconvenience of shifting in lousy traffic without any power, exactly like the Honda Shadow, a pointless bike,,,, buy a Honda PCX instead.

Not sure what bikes are actually made or assembled in Thailand. The post already excludes Triumph which is where I would look. Other then that i would go with a custom cruiser bike. Ok, so not convenient in most traffic but very cool.

post-170560-0-74043900-1457507684_thumb.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Stallion CT 400 does look nice - not seen one on the road yet - is the frame bigger than the Centaur 150?

The Vulcan S is very nice. Nearly bought one on impulse after just sitting on it at a bike show - a very 'integrated' design and a fresh take on the cruiser theme .... and reading the reviews I see it handles well too. But it's almost too good to be cool .... bit like the Versys ..... somehow a cool bike needs some impractical elements, some quirks that we need to work around, some reason that most 'normal' people would not want to own one, but they still admire it for it's style over practicality.

Yamaha knew this when they didn't fit the 'new' SR400 with electric start.

And @PoorSucker ...... never too old to be cool.

Nobody has suggested the Z300 yet?

The price of 299,000 Baht suggests that the Yamaha MT-07 is made in Thailand. I think it's around 685-690cc or so. I kinda like it, but haven't ridden it. Really, Yamaha seems to have an off-again on-again relationship with selling their bigger bikes in Thailand, and I kinda worry about long terms parts and service availability. Sukuki seems worse in that regard. Any bike for which you have to wait 3-6 months for the (wrong?) parts to arrive and can't find ready service for is definitely uncool. And so who you gonna get to work on that pretty Benelli? Once the guy opens the engine, will they know what to do?

I don't think I'd want a Harley 750, but is that one made in Thailand? Wherever it's made, I've read that it's selling quite well.

The Yamaha's are made in Japan.

Harley Street 750 is made in India.

Having just bought one I'd have to say a Kawasaki Vulcan S. Wait, no I wouldn't, I didn't buy it to be cool, I'm way past bothering about that kind of nonsense.

Cool.

Thanks, we went for white:attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1457505230.155222.jpg

I like the bike, it is cool and the fact that you didn't buy it to be cool makes you even cooler!!

I also didn't buy my bike to be cool, I wanted the convenience of no shifting around town but enough power and storage to go out and about so i bought a Suzuki Skywave (Burgman) 650.

But, alas I fear I would not make the cool wall.. sad.png

post-170560-0-32189300-1457509505_thumb.

Nice review, still would not touch it with a bargepole. Any motorcycle with "Chinese" engineering and parts attached to it is a recipe for disaster the world over.

Also, its very cheap, which should also set alarm bells off. The corners have to be cut somewhere and frankly the Chinese just do not have the QC, testing and engineering budget / patience of the big Japaense and European companies.

It is cheaper for a reason.

Nice review, still would not touch it with a bargepole. Any motorcycle with "Chinese" engineering and parts attached to it is a recipe for disaster the world over.

Also, its very cheap, which should also set alarm bells off. The corners have to be cut somewhere and frankly the Chinese just do not have the QC, testing and engineering budget / patience of the big Japaense and European companies.

That's all well and good but the thread is about cool bikes rather than reliable, well built, safe or value for money ones.

That's all well and good but the thread is about cool bikes rather than reliable, well built, safe or value for money ones.

Plus it all used to be "Jap Crap, when I was young. Now look at it!!

I'll bet the computer or whatever device you are using is made in China... (and probably 90% of most items you own)

Up to the buyer to determine what is "value for money". Have you seen one, or are you just making suppositions?

Did you ever consider that at least part of the reason it is cheap is because it is made here and they are not paying exorbitant duties on it to encourage local purchases?

The atmosphere in Phuket has screwed the chrome on 1 of my Harey's.

The topic was"What is the coolest bike made in Thailand" These are 1/2 the price of an Enfield. Bang for bucks... Up2U! A new bike has to have some sort of warranty. It's not much more than a high end scooter. A great little bar hopper and you could travel a distance on it if you wanted

People need to get off this 'Chinese is C**p' baloney. BMW, Ducati, HD, Benelli, all make some of their bikes - or bike parts in China. BMW engines for one. Buy LPG here at a station where I saw my first 150cc Stallion. Well over a year now the guy has had it. No issues. Another poster on this Forum has had a Chinese bike for over 5 years. No issues.

Plus it all used to be "Jap Crap, when I was young. Now look at it!!

I'll bet the computer or whatever device you are using is made in China... (and probably 90% of most items you own)

Up to the buyer to determine what is "value for money". Have you seen one, or are you just making suppositions?

Did you ever consider that at least part of the reason it is cheap is because it is made here and they are not paying exorbitant duties on it to encourage local purchases?

.... also - we're discussing 'coolness' not reliability or practicality - which are not major factors in coolness.

The pre-rebirth Triumph Bonneville was not reliable or even very well built during the Meriden death throws - but it was cool.

Older Ducati's were cool, but had hopeless electrics.

Harley Sportsters are cool (ish) - but the design is severely compromised.

I could go on.

In fact I will ......

Moto Guzzi Le Man - exceedingly cool - but a heap of $h!##

And seeing as how the SR 400 does not qualify as a Thai bike - the CT400 is a decent substitute.

People need to get off this 'Chinese is C**p' baloney. BMW, Ducati, HD, Benelli, all make some of their bikes - or bike parts in China. BMW engines for one. Buy LPG here at a station where I saw my first 150cc Stallion. Well over a year now the guy has had it. No issues. Another poster on this Forum has had a Chinese bike for over 5 years. No issues.

EXACTLY!!!

I haven't had a chance yet to get out to the dealer but will and will post pics when I do on this thread,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846620-stallions-400cc-any-good/page-5#entry10476015

The white Vulcan S indeed looks very cool. I don't plan to buy a cruiser anytime soon as I want a bit more agility and ground clearance for touring but if I'd get a cruiser, I'd get this one. If only Kawasaki gave it a 270 degree crank to make it sound sweet too.

Why disqualify Triumph haven't they started building bikes in Chon Buri?

A large % of the parts for many of the Triumph models are made in Thailand - but it's not classed as a Thai made bike as it's assembled in the UK - and so we still get hit by the import duties.

The idea of the thread was a discussion about the bikes that are classed as made in Thailand under Thai tax law - as those are the affordable ones here.

I was also thinking that we have some very decent bikes made in Thailand, whereas the range of cars made in Thailand could be used as a list of the most 'uncool' cars known to mankind.

I'm not sure how the CT400 gets classified as a Thai made bike - but it's a welcome addition to the Thai Visa Cool Wall.

The price of 299,000 Baht suggests that the Yamaha MT-07 is made in Thailand. I think it's around 685-690cc or so. I kinda like it, but haven't ridden it. Really, Yamaha seems to have an off-again on-again relationship with selling their bigger bikes in Thailand, and I kinda worry about long terms parts and service availability. Sukuki seems worse in that regard. Any bike for which you have to wait 3-6 months for the (wrong?) parts to arrive and can't find ready service for is definitely uncool. And so who you gonna get to work on that pretty Benelli? Once the guy opens the engine, will they know what to do?

I don't think I'd want a Harley 750, but is that one made in Thailand? Wherever it's made, I've read that it's selling quite well.

The Yamaha's are made in Japan.

Harley Street 750 is made in India.

299,000 Baht is a ridiculously low price for a bike made in Japan. And/or, 270,000 Baht for an SR400 is a ridiculously high price, allegedly because it's made in Japan. The MT-07 is only 29,000 Baht more? But I did search around a bit, and you appear to be correct: made in Japan. Correct as well for the Harley (though they're also reported to be manufactured in the USA as well).

The white Vulcan S indeed looks very cool. I don't plan to buy a cruiser anytime soon as I want a bit more agility and ground clearance for touring but if I'd get a cruiser, I'd get this one. If only Kawasaki gave it a 270 degree crank to make it sound sweet too.

That would be the Vulcan 900cc V-Twin, big brother to the Vulcan S.

2012-Kawasaki-Vulcan900ClassicSpecialEdi

Honda Sonic,what a great little bike,can't wait for the double knocker they have in Indonesia.

You've reminded me of another bike: the Yamaha Exciter 150, although I cannot find where it's actually manufactured (the Sonic is reported as made in Thailand). I looked at the Exciter quite a bit while researching a new bike for my daughter. She ultimately got a Yamaha GTX 125 only because I thought it was a bit more appropriate for a young woman, had underseat storage, and etc,. plus a really great price at 43,000 Baht. No idea where it's made.

But the Exciter did impress me as it has a five speed manual gearbox, front and rear disc brakes (most scooters have drum brakes on the back), and a price of 64,000 Baht at the shops in Chiang Mai, which I thought pretty reasonable. Top speed seems about 130KPH-ish. An arbitrary youtube video of the bike with another, showing a dyno test, and etc.:

https://youtu.be/eJArddf5sBc

People apparently like to hot rod them as well. Here's a video of one with an aftermarket ECU of some sort that's running out to 150KPH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4MnS8m6V7w

I'm not completely sure I'd want to do 150KPH on such a small bike, but in fact, I haven't ridden one. It might be OK, I dunno. Kinda felt like I wouldn't mind having one of my own to play with, but I don't have the parking space for two motorcycles.

.... also - we're discussing 'coolness' not reliability or practicality - which are not major factors in coolness.

Gonna disagree. I've seen so many Harleys being pushed along the side of the road (including here in LOS) that I decided they were pretty uncool a long, long time ago. smile.png

Full disclosure: I ride a 2010 Ninja 650. Have had it for a few years now, and it's visited most places in Thailand problem free. Is it "cool?" I'll leave that up to ya'll to decide. I will say that it's fun. And that I much prefer it over the Versys I bought a while back. I couldn't stand the Versys, but a friend in the south swears by his. Have posted the Ninja on several sites for sale recently, including the classifieds section of ThaiVisa. Nothing wrong with it at all, and keeping it is no problem. I think mostly I might just be a bit bored with it after having it so long, and so I ponder a new toy of some kind now and again. Only mentioning the "for sale" thing as a bit more of that "full disclosure" thing. Please don't start posting messages in this thread asking "how much" and etc. There are other ways to contact me, should you wish.

post-39272-0-58611800-1457524464_thumb.j

That would be the Vulcan 900cc V-Twin, big brother to the Vulcan S.

2012-Kawasaki-Vulcan900ClassicSpecialEdi

Yea my friend has one here. It's definitely a cool bike but doesn't qualify for the thread as it's imported from Japan. Also it's nearly 200k more.

Game over

The Stallions is a now a real Thai brand motorcycle and made here in Thailand. At 150cc it is small enough to get through the crap traffic like a scooter and fun enough to know you are on a real bike.

Yes, do like the retro styling.

Game over

So my GF said to me just yesterday "Where would I sit on that?" I didn't have an answer. Can someone explain that seat from a utilitarian perspective?

Having just bought one I'd have to say a Kawasaki Vulcan S. Wait, no I wouldn't, I didn't buy it to be cool, I'm way past bothering about that kind of nonsense.

Cool.

Thanks, we went for white:attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1457505230.155222.jpg

I like the bike, it is cool and the fact that you didn't buy it to be cool makes you even cooler!!

I also didn't buy my bike to be cool, I wanted the convenience of no shifting around town but enough power and storage to go out and about so i bought a Suzuki Skywave (Burgman) 650.

But, alas I fear I would not make the cool wall.. sad.png

attachicon.gifskywave 650 copy.jpg

I'm a Burgman 200 guy. Best kept secret in Thailand. Cool is full length running boards so my GF doesn't damage her heels on a foot peg, dual disk brakes with ABS which save my skin basically daily, full windscreen and fairing, cavernous under seat storage (no seriously, cavernous), 200cc's leave all the PCX's sitting at the the light, lockable dash box with power supply. Got my 6 months old for less than 100k and I am the only guy in town with it. Love it to death.

post-233324-0-61410200-1457534146_thumb.

post-233324-0-39517700-1457534148_thumb.

Archived