Anyone can explain what's going on?

TheCruncher

My friend has a TOT adsl connection and a decent Android box with Kodi installed.

Please take note that the Android box or the Kodi installation and addons are 100% not the issue, which will be explained further on in this post.

He tries to stream some live sports or movies, but that is virtually impossible as the streams buffer and stall every few seconds.

For example he wanted to watch the UFC on Sunday and couldn't get anything out of it, while I here with a similar box was watching the same channel without a single hick up on a 10Mb connection.

So he get's a streaming box from a neighbor which has MYIPTV installed on it and watches the fight and any other stream without a hick up on the same TOT connection.

I don't know MYIPTV, so maybe someone can explain what it is.

So today I went to see him again and the Android box is unusable for any streaming. We do a speedtest by phone over WIFI and he he gets about 10 Mb down from Bangkok server.The media box is connected by LAN cable by the way. He tried to connect to another router also on a TOT connection with similar result.

We also do a speedtest from within Kodi and it says that all HD and live streams should play without issues

I take the box home with me and connect it here and the stream is perfect. In fact I connect another 3 boxes on the same connection and let all 4 boxes play the same live stream simultaneously, and the streaming is fluent. So the issue is clearly not with the box or the addons.

So I'm clueless now. He has a good connection, and a good media box as it streams perfect here, but it is unusable on that TOT connection, while the MYIPTV box streams perfect.

He also streams constantly youtube music videos from his laptop and there is also no issue ever.

Anyone can give me an idea what is going on here?

Does MYIPTV connect to a local server and does TOT throttle international streams, and if so why doesn't he have an issue with youtube streams?

Good post, good info, good sequence.

Do you also have TOT at home where it works well? If not, it is possible that TOT is throttling that site.

Did you try your computer at his place to see if it was also slow? If you did and it is, see above.

You are on the right track. Always test the most obvious starting with the easiest first and work out from there.

I had the same issues on TOT also,so I just stumped up 450 baht a month on Ilikehd to cover all my sports,I must add I don't follow UFC.

I could watch movies via Kodi with the likes of SALTS,Phoenix and various other add on's,but live streaming was always an issue working very sporadically and intermittently.

The same box I am now using in the UK with zero problems.

Not much help I know but a heads up that I encountered the same issues in Thailand on TOT.

NOTE

That any of the pay to view streaming apps such as ilikehd or Thaiexpat TV who's servers are based in Bangkok worked faultlessly.

I was running a Minix Neo 7

At home I have cable internet from a CAT reseller.

The connection isn't to a particular server but actually every streaming addon on the box doesn't work at his location, though the MY-IPTV box works without issues.

In the mean time I discovered that MY-IPTV is a Malaysian IPTV service, but I can't figure out if they stream from a server within Thailand.

I also noticed that his speedtest using his phone connected over WIFI gives a ping of 157 ms to Bangkok server, while if i do an identical test at home over WIFI to the same server I get 11 ms. I didn't do a speedtest with my phone at his place.

I had the same issues on TOT also,so I just stumped up 450 baht a month on Ilikehd to cover all my sports,I must add I don't follow UFC.

I could watch movies via Kodi with the likes of SALTS,Phoenix and various other add on's,but live streaming was always an issue working very sporadically and intermittently.

The same box I am now using in the UK with zero problems.

Not much help I know but a heads up that I encountered the same issues in Thailand on TOT.

NOTE

That any of the pay to view streaming apps such as ilikehd or Thaiexpat TV who's servers are based in Bangkok worked faultlessly.

I was running a Minix Neo 7

He's using a Minix X8 H plus. Fact is that whatever addon he fires up he has the issues, even the likes of Salts and Exodus are struggling, while that same box plays the exact same stream faultless at my place with another 3 boxes also streaming simultaneously.

It would be interesting to know if MY - IPTV uses servers in Thailand or not.

Are Youtube streams from a server within the country or not?

Try switching out his modem. I had a similar problem on a modem supplied by True. I switched it out with a 900baht modem I think it was a dl1250 or something like that and whalaa perfect streaming

I'm gonna try that tomorrow, as I have a few spare routers laying around anyway, so I told him he must look up his log in details.

Archived