non b visa and work permit

Hi all,

I'm asking a question for a friend who's currently on an extension of a non b visa which expires 8th June 2016

He will be leaving his current company end of March and start a new job beginning of June - confirmed.

He needs to go for a holiday back to his home around 10th May and be back before the extension expires.

What's the best course for him to take? If he cancels his work permit end of March, he would have to leave within 7 days no?

Thank you for any helpful insight guys.

His extension will end on the date his job ends.

His work permit and extension both need to be canceled before he leaves.

He will need a termination letter from his employer to cancel the extension. If goes to immigration a few days before the termination date on the letter they will post date the cancellation so he has time to leave the country.

If needed more time he could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country.

If he plans on staying until May he should go out for a single entry tourist visa.

Thanks Ubonjoe for your quick reply.

i don't know if it makes any difference - my friend holds a managerial position (resort manager) and he is leaving current property with the blessing of the current employer. i'm sure i read somewhere here on thaivisa that if they liaise together (old employer and new employer) he would not have to go out and get a new non b visa only change work permit. maybe i did not understand this correctly?

if this is not possible what if he does not cancel his work permit and stays until may? then when he goes home gets a single entry tourist visa to come back thailand in june - apply for the new work permit and goes out to Malaysia to get a new non b?

Does this make sense?

Thanks once again

If his current employer is willing to give him a leave of absence. He could keep his work permit and extension. He would then need a re-entry permit to keep his extension valid when makes the trip out.

Then the new employer would have to apply for a work for him to get a approval letter for the application. Then with a termination letter from his current employer and paperwork from his new employer he could apply for a new extension after the current one is canceled. Then his new work permit would be issued when the old one is canceled.

one last question - he is now based in Samui and got the extension and current WP from here.

He will be based in Phuket from June so i presume he would take all paperwork to immigration in Phuket directly.

Correct?

Also should he apply for everything before he goes out on holiday from Thailand or after he comes? is there a certain number of days he has to have left on the extension?

Thanks once again

one last question - he is now based in Samui and got the extension and current WP from here.

He will be based in Phuket from June so i presume he would take all paperwork to immigration in Phuket directly.

Correct?

Also should he apply for everything before he goes out on holiday from Thailand or after he comes? is there a certain number of days he has to have left on the extension?

Thanks once again

His extension will have to be canceled in Samui before he can apply for the new one in Phuket. Then his work permit would have to be canceled there also.

He could cancel his extension in Samui before the termination date and immigration would post date it to that date and then apply for the new extension in Phuket.

me again ubonjoe,

My friend's work permit is valid for 2 years (one year more) but his extension ends on june 8 this year - someone told him he could use the same work permit and only change the company and address of new workplace. is this really possible?

or would you still advise the process discussed above as the best option.

- cancel his extension in samui before termination date so it will be post dated

- fly to phuket before termination date armed with all new paperwork apply for new extension

- once granted apply for new work permit.

sorry for the many questions - not as clear cut as it seems!

he holds an egyptian passport (if it makes any difference)

me again ubonjoe,

My friend's work permit is valid for 2 years (one year more) but his extension ends on june 8 this year - someone told him he could use the same work permit and only change the company and address of new workplace. is this really possible?

- cancel his extension in samui before termination date so it will be post dated

- fly to phuket before termination date armed with all new paperwork apply for new extension

If your friend should find himself needing a new visa ( as he well might) he has a problem because he will be unlikely to be able to obtain a visa other from within Egypt.

WP's are usually job specific and not transferable.

me again ubonjoe,

A work permit is issued for one employer. It is possible to add another employer to a work permit with permission from the employer that it was issued for. Doing that would not help in your friends case.

His only choice is do it the way I described before.

If he ends up needing a new non-b visa he will have to return to Egypt to get it. Egypt is on the list of countries whose citizens can only apply for visas in there home country.