Farang guy praised for sweeping roads in Sattahip, Chonburi

snoop1130

Sweeping leaves is not working coffee1.gif

I occasionally sweep leaves, no not to clean the place from rubbish and I don't
consider that as work but is a good way to meditate and exercise. Just like golf
would be for some people, just a little bit more gentle.

In Theravada and Zen Buddhism, sweeping leaves have a long history and is
an established form of meditation and is practised in many villages and almost
in every temple here in Thailand.

As a long term resident of Thailand, he's probably just practising meditation wink.png

And not one of them would think to grab a broom also, and help him, so he too, could get off the road to ensure his safety.

I can see where he is comming from but, if no Thai gives a shit about their fellow man then why should he? If he wants to help foreigners, then put a sign in English warning them of the danger.

I have mixed thoughts about this. On one hand I say, "well done that man" and on the other, "what the <deleted> are you doing?" blink.png

Just getting in some exercise is what it looks like to me. Beats a treadmill or a gym.

If it keeps some folks from breaking their necks then, cool. thumbsup.gif

Too bad he's such a novelty and that the municipality can't do what he's doing as a matter of course, but he seems to like the exercise, so good on him.

Sweeping leaves is not working coffee1.gif

I occasionally sweep leaves, no not to clean the place from rubbish and I don't

consider that as work but is a good way to meditate and exercise. Just like golf

would be for some people, just a little bit more gentle.

In Theravada and Zen Buddhism, sweeping leaves have a long history and is

an established form of meditation and is practised in many villages and almost

in every temple here in Thailand.

As a long term resident of Thailand, he's probably just practising meditation wink.png

Or he is trying to lose weightsmile.png , good for him doing what he likes but watch for the traffic dude.

In before the "working without a permit" posts start ('cause, you know, technically he is working even if he is doing it voluntarily).

I've wondered about that myself (doing little jobs like that just out of the goodness of my heart) but have been worried about the whole "work permit" thing.

It seems the definition of "work" needs refining to mean "paid work" otherwise all volunteers are in breach of the law... that just isn't sensible

Nowadays it's really very easy to get famous. Just need to clean the beach or street or collect bottles. That's it!

Yup. He is famous because NO ONE ELSE DOES IT! coffee1.gif

Good on him I say and if he is "famous" then deservedly so.

Plenty of cynical posts as usual..... If he's happy to do it then who are we to criticize..... Good on him.

A German friend of mine spent four hours in a cell at immigration Pattaya and was fined 60000 baht for not having a work permit. His crime? Cooking spaghetti bolognais for his friend and himself in the kichen of his friend's bar. Someone in the bar phoned the local fuzz.

I was once told off in a bar in Pattaya for clearing dirty glasses from a table. You have to be on your mettle in this fair land and be careful not to break those eggshells you're walking on.

Hardly the same but hey, if you can't see it.... oh well.

Nowadays it's really very easy to get famous. Just need to clean the beach or street or collect bottles. That's it!

Any volunteers to clean the garbage and s*** out of the canals?. The Thais will enjoy watching you while they throw more in....

I do it maybe two times a month,sweeping the road/soi were i live here in Udon.While i was doing this a phuenban/police stopped and asked what i was doing.I explained in Thai as good as i could that i made a promise to myself to help and clean my soil (about 200m)from rubbish..The policeman thanked me for doing this and then he asked me WHY...Well i said,which do you think is moore beautiful,a clean soi or a soi full of mostly plastic bottles shared glass and moore...he looked at me and thanked me again..Later people stop on their way to or from the Temple to say -Thank You...well that's all i need and hopefully in the end we Farrangs can show thje Thais that clean is mean..hehe.

So why not join the Farrangs who like it clean and nice,not to mention all your new friends you get by dooing this "deed".Instead of getting bored and drink from early hours to late,get your shit together and join the Farrang Cleaning Troup,short FCT.

Welcome to 200 meters of debribe free soi here in Udon..hehe.

So why not join the Farrangs who like it clean and nice,not to mention all your new friends you get by dooing this "deed".Instead of getting bored and drink from early hours to late,get your shit together and join the Farrang Cleaning Troup,short FCT.

Welcome to 200 meters of debribe free soi here in Udon..hehe.

Sorry your wrong.

Getting drunk, Having a laugh, Having a play around, great day out, im not bored.
Or go sweep the roads. !!!!!! facepalm.gif
I think you may have a mental disorder. wai2.gif

...yeah...like someone said...hope he does not get deported.....

BS, I clean the beach weekly here in Jomtien and pick up trash early in the morning, been doing it for 2 years, only smiles , I even talked to the laughing cops about it. I wish more expats could get their ass off the chair and start doing something instead of complaining all the time. Edited by balo

...yeah...like someone said...hope he does not get deported.....

BS, I clean the beach weekly here in Jomtien and pick up trash early in the morning, been doing it for 2 years, only smiles , I even talked to the laughing cops about it. I wish more expats could get their ass off the chair and start doing something instead of complaining all the time.

Thailand would need to change its attitude to voluntary work

before i ever lifted a finger, and clearing up after lazy people ,no way.

There are many ex-pats here, that would love to do voluntary work in schools

and the community

But they can't because of the rules and regulations.

What a fantastic xenophobic mentality Thailand has to this free education and help.

If you choose to go up against the authorises, you will loose, make no mistake wai2.gif

Edit,

I don't believe you will never have a problem with picking up rubbish on Jomtien beach

but if you have a problem for some other reason in Thailand, what you do could be used against you. that's just my opinion. wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang