Retirement Visa/joint Bank Account

I applied today at Chiang Mai for a 1 year extension to my returement visa and provided proof of funds by presenting my Joint Bank Account with my Thai wife. I was informed that the rules have been changed and they no longer accept Joint Bank Accounts for retirement visas unless both parties are foreigners. The account must be solely in the name of the applicant.

Luckilly I had the passbook for my own savings account with me and enough time to visit my bank, transfer money between accounts, obtain a new letter from the bank, and return to the office where my new visa extension was issued.

The new rule was also confirmed by the Police Captain that gave the final OK to my application. No mention was made that the funds had not been in my sole bank account for 3 mths prior to my application.

This rule is rather strange, if the government tries to guard its own (Thai) people.

Oh well......

I applied today at Chiang Mai for a 1 year extension to my returement visa and provided proof of funds by presenting my Joint Bank Account with my Thai wife. I was informed that the rules have been changed and they no longer accept Joint Bank Accounts for retirement visas unless both parties are foreigners. The account must be solely in the name of the applicant.

Luckilly I had the passbook for my own savings account with me and enough time to visit my bank, transfer money between accounts, obtain a new letter from the bank, and return to the office where my new visa extension was issued.

The new rule was also confirmed by the Police Captain that gave the final OK to my application. No mention was made that the funds had not been in my sole bank account for 3 mths prior to my application.

:D

I understood that it has always been the rule that the account name had to be that of the person applying for the retirement visa. The rule regarding having the money in the bank for 3 months prior to applying is new I believe, started after the 1 October changes. I will be finding out in about 18 months I guess, which is when I will be retiring.

:o

I wonder if this applies for those using 65,000 monthly income as basis vice 800,000 in an account, since the consensus is that they want to see something in your account even if going the monthly income route? (For Chiang Mai Immigration, the figure '200,000 baht' was mentioned.)

For me, a joint account with the wife is just to facilitate matters of access when one of us dies. But if Immigration insists on single accounts -- even for those using monthly income as basis -- does anyone know if you can open a single bank account and also designate survivorship options in the application (e.g., a so-called 'Payable on Death' bank account)?

As said the retirement account has been applicant name only or twice as much required. Not sure everyone was getting told that but the have been a number of such reports. For marriage the joint account has been fine for most people. I have changed to retirement but continue to have joint bank account and no questions have been asked (but my pension exceeds requirements). For those that have to set up individual account would advise linking with wife account so money can be easily moved. I would also ask about "pay on death" possibilities as know that is available in US banks but have not had reason to ask here.

As said the retirement account has been applicant name only or twice as much required.

My previous retirement visa extension applications have always accepted my joint account and my friend has recently applied with a joint account with no problem.

This was stated by two officers (one of high rank) to be a new rule. Of course I have been in LOS long enough to realise that some new rules come and go at the whim of each officer and how they feel at a particular time. I am merely trying to state what happened to me in order to warn others who may be in a similar situation to make enquiries in time to make other arrangements if necessary.

The reason given for accepting joint accounts for two foreigners was that "if one leaves the country, the other person will also leave". I don't quite see the reasoning behind this, but that's what I was told.