Well, here's what you've all been waiting for.

WinnieTheKhwai

Did you know that if you do LHR-BKK-CNX return on Thai it's as if the Thai connecting flight is free for some reason.

There are some brilliant deals connecting through to CNX from LHR on Thai, I paid 400 quid booking with Thai.

Aircraft was A380 very comfortable, no not the pointy end simple cattle class with a Hindu Vegetarian meal.

You need to search, search, change searches by a day etc, you will be amazed what comes up, but it needs patience.

I just plugged a few dates and didnt find any 1 stop to uk options.. When is this service due to start as I have a bunch of travel this year and if it makes for a better connection I would look.

I also was seeing >25k plus one way for cattle.. I can get premium economy for about that on EVA or BA.. Biz was showing high 70k one way, which is ballpark same.

I just plugged a few dates and didnt find any 1 stop to uk options.. When is this service due to start as I have a bunch of travel this year and if it makes for a better connection I would look.

I also was seeing >25k plus one way for cattle.. I can get premium economy for about that on EVA or BA.. Biz was showing high 70k one way, which is ballpark same.

Maybe December this year. Read the first post by WK he has a link.

Qatar Airways will start flying to the Thai tourist hubs of Krabi and Chiang Mai this year, as part of a major network expansion that will see it launch 14 new global destinations.

The Doha-based airline will commence four weekly flights to the resort province of Krabi and three weekly flights to the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai in December 2016. This will double the number of Thai gateways Qatar Airways serves, following its existing flights to Bangkok and Phuket.

I guess it is more common than not but I'd rather not fly with an Airline that follows such an outdated and primitive safety culture.

This face-saving "blame the pilots" Al Baker CEO fellow has said he "will not accept any lapses"and thus guarantees his employees will not report any.

Eliminating the opportunity to examine and correct issues before they cause accidents or incidents in a non punitive atmosphere .

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/03/04/qatar-airways-fires-pilots/

Positively hate Doha airport.

I have always been a Ehihad/Emirates/Qatar flyer.....each time it seemed to alternate as I think they had a deal between themselves as to who who be the cheapest this year or last year.

my last and definately my final trip with Qatar was last year. if you want a connecting flight God help you.

A brand new airport thats been a mess for 3 years and yet they still park the planes about 6km from the terminal building....whats all that about ?

You get off the plane and literally take a tour of Qatar in their bendibus around the perimeter fence of the airport. it takes at least 25 minutes. by the time you are herded through the rest of the security and find where you are going its an hour and there are many connecting flights of an hour or even less.

I have seen families panicking, stressing, crying on that bendibus becasue they inevitably miss a flight.

I personally didnt miss a flight but I do remember pleading with a desk to let me thorough after they closed.

Even poxy CM aiport brings the pedestrian bridge to the plane doors.

It would be nice if Emirates or Ethihad came through here though

sounds like the old airport to me

The extract below is also taken from the airlines webpage. Seems some people may be jumping the gun on a direct flight.

Flights to Chiang Mai with Qatar Airways

When you book a flight to Chiang Mai with Qatar Airways you will travel on a Qatar Airways operated flight to Bangkok or Phuket and connect to Chiang Mai with our partner airlines.

Make of that what you will.....

The extract below is also taken from the airlines webpage. Seems some people may be jumping the gun on a direct flight.

When you book a flight to Chiang Mai with Qatar Airways you will travel on a Qatar Airways operated flight to Bangkok or Phuket and connect to Chiang Mai with our partner airlines.

That is now. We're talking about end of year

Tourism wise, strategically good for CM

When it's +50 degrees in the Middle East(June to August) it is low season in CM; the climate is OK and

the golf courses near empty.

I'm sure the CM folk will have less hassles and get a better spend rate with tourist on these flights than group tour Chinese

This is a good opportunity for for TAT and the industry to lift CM's hospitality standards -

The CM industry has, for the past decade, been sucked into group tour/ sausage factory mindset based on high thru put and low $ yeild

I guess it is more common than not but I'd rather not fly with an Airline that follows such an outdated and primitive safety culture.

This face-saving "blame the pilots" Al Baker CEO fellow has said he "will not accept any lapses"and thus guarantees his employees will not report any.

Eliminating the opportunity to examine and correct issues before they cause accidents or incidents in a non punitive atmosphere .

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/03/04/qatar-airways-fires-pilots/

It's a bit weird how they treat their female cabin crew. Not allowed male companions, must be back the dormitory blocks by a certain time. Registers and logs recorded of when they leave and return. Break the rules and they are sacked. These are not Qatari crew but the European and Asian cabin crew. Quite odd.

wish they would fly to U Tapao, would save the crazy trip to swampy .........

From Pattaya, I assume? Suvarnabhumi is MAYBE half an hour longer than Patters to Utapao. And for that you get a real airport too.

When it's +50 degrees in the Middle East(June to August) it is low season in CM; the climate is OK and

Also, heavy rain appears to actually be somewhat of an attraction for the desert dwellers.. Sot that's also good. wink.png

wish they would fly to U Tapao, would save the crazy trip to swampy .........

From Pattaya, I assume? Suvarnabhumi is MAYBE half an hour longer than Patters to Utapao. And for that you get a real airport too.

Also, heavy rain appears to actually be somewhat of an attraction for the desert dwellers.. Sot that's also good. wink.png

Would that be the legendary GM of the Rabbit Resort gracing TD?

Travel time from downtown Pattaya to either airports??

It's a idiot's on the road V's a traffic jam caused by an accident proposition to both airports BUT, on a good day,

Cnr of Pattaya Tai & Sukhumvit to Utapo +/- 35min (if you cross over onto 331). To Suavanabhumi _/+ 80 min

Hopefully the quality of the new Utapo air terminal that is soon to be completed will be sufficient to attract a lot more direct international flights

The current terminal does well albeit an a up-country shed leading to a massive runway built by the Yanks for their agent orange excursions in to Vietnam

That is now. We're talking about end of year

Exactly, do keep up people.

Qatar Airways will start flying to the Thai tourist hubs of Krabi and Chiang Mai this year, as part of a major network expansion that will see it launch 14 new global destinations.

The Doha-based airline will commence four weekly flights to the resort province of Krabi and three weekly flights to the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai in December 2016. This will double the number of Thai gateways Qatar Airways serves, following its existing flights to Bangkok and Phuket.

http://www.traveldai...ajor-expansion/

• 2 weeks later...

When i enter dates in 2017, Birmingham to Chaing Mai ,there are

always 2 stopovers listed,Doha and Bangkok,and something like

30 hrs travel time.

suppose will have to wait and see.

regards Worgeordie

Just flew back here recently via Scoot. Small hiccup though as their 2nd flight was delayed 3 hours. Thus missed my 3rd connection with AA, no refund there despite insurance (what's that good for then?) and had to book a hotel as no later flights.

They then didn't even seat me in the quiet zone seats I'd paid extra for.

Yes I know low cost airlines hang you out to dry, but was just trying an alternative route. Scoot told me to read the small print, next please!

Just flew back here recently via Scoot. Small hiccup though as their 2nd flight was delayed 3 hours. Thus missed my 3rd connection with AA, no refund there despite insurance (what's that good for then?) and had to book a hotel as no later flights.

They then didn't even seat me in the quiet zone seats I'd paid extra for.

Yes I know low cost airlines hang you out to dry, but was just trying an alternative route. Scoot told me to read the small print, next please!

What's this got to do with the price of eggs in Doha?

• 2 months later...

(And how many of yous thought it would finally be the long awaited Chiang Mai Hooters branch? )

Yeah Hooters CM ... woohoo!, or hoot hoot!

... oh wait, whats this about plane flights? ... you party pooper

post-244641-14647513127093_thumb.jpg

So......the general opinion is that Doha Airport sucks...correct??

We have a flight through there in a couple of weeks or so--usually use Emirates, and always very impressed, sounds like this change of carrier was not a good move, then.

I can't see a lot of point in flying straight to Chiang Mai only to find all the bloody bars close at 12.

Maybe some nice families and young couples from the Gulf Region can enjoy Chiang Mai for other things.

Not bothering with bars, ogling so-called "pretties" contracted to push various brands of beer, and inane interactions

with bargirls, most here so long past their prime with bellies hanging down I can't imagine why anybody would engage for free.

Hey Chicog you are out of date. At my favourite bar the police advised the owner on Saturday that he can stay open till 3 am! Sadly since then there have been no customers wanting a drink much after 1am, but at least it seems the closing time allows for more freedom for night owls to while away the wee small hours with a glass or two of "lotion"!

Archived