Thailand Pursues Quality European Tourists in Europe

webfact

I'm going to add some balance to the 100% negative comments that have appeared here so far, and don't get me wrong as I do agree with many of them.

There are many areas of Thailand geared up for quality tourism and most of these moneyed tourists have a great holiday here. 5-star resorts abound, many of which are completely overpriced but that's what tourists have to pay to get some exclusivity: luxury villas, apartments and isolated spas. These places already have high occupancy rates.

We're not talking the type of traveller that will be going on mass-tourism day trips to places totally ruined by the masses of mainly Chinese tourists, nor will they spend their evenings on Bangla Road or Walking Street. They don't mind spending a bit of cash for the novelty of riding in a tuktuk and they certainly won't be constantly complaining about the price of Phuket taxis. They'll spend most of their time being pampered in their expensive accommodation, eating at the best restaurants and generally relaxing.

Where Thainess fits, I'm not so sure. For example a 5 star resort I visited recently (a rare treat!) employed nearly all Filipino staff plus a couple of farangs in the restaurant and public areas. My GF started to speak in Thai without realising this and found no one understood her!

There's a big market out there and the TAT are quite right to try and tap it but there's also big competition from many other places in the world. Thailand lost its exotic tag due to mass tourism long ago; everyone's been to Thailand!

There are many areas of Thailand geared up for quality tourism

Please feel free to name some of these area's.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to add some balance to the 100% negative comments that have appeared here so far, and don't get me wrong as I do agree with many of them.

There are many areas of Thailand geared up for quality tourism and most of these moneyed tourists have a great holiday here. 5-star resorts abound, many of which are completely overpriced but that's what tourists have to pay to get some exclusivity: luxury villas, apartments and isolated spas. These places already have high occupancy rates.

We're not talking the type of traveller that will be going on mass-tourism day trips to places totally ruined by the masses of mainly Chinese tourists, nor will they spend their evenings on Bangla Road or Walking Street. They don't mind spending a bit of cash for the novelty of riding in a tuktuk and they certainly won't be constantly complaining about the price of Phuket taxis. They'll spend most of their time being pampered in their expensive accommodation, eating at the best restaurants and generally relaxing.

Where Thainess fits, I'm not so sure. For example a 5 star resort I visited recently (a rare treat!) employed nearly all Filipino staff plus a couple of farangs in the restaurant and public areas. My GF started to speak in Thai without realising this and found no one understood her!

There's a big market out there and the TAT are quite right to try and tap it but there's also big competition from many other places in the world. Thailand lost its exotic tag due to mass tourism long ago; everyone's been to Thailand!

With 2286 TV posts I'm sure you know how to use Google.

The ways how tourists are treated more and more in a very bad way here in Thailand - just think about to pie beside the road for a test or get into police station while beeing around a bar and and and....

The hell how they will attract quality tourists to come to Thailand from Europe: most tourists come for the good and warm weather, the beaches and may be some good sex experiances and that's it: Much more Thailand defenetly not has to offer!

I was going to post a pic of the trash in Jomtien, along the back roads and on the beach. But there are just too many online! You can't swim in the water, can't drink the tap water, trash is everywhere, roads are in a terrible state, traffic is a mess, public transport is terrible, etc. How are you going to attract quality tourists??whistling.gif

Absolutely agree with you, there are some quite up pleasant market hotels in Pattaya, decent restaurants, malls etc. The infrastructure , problem of rubbish around the place , state of pavements, transport etc has had no serious investment for years.

The town hall personel are being replaced on the 20th June- this is not a rumour, it's been on the cards for a long time. ( was confirmed by the deputy mayor at last weeks PCEC meeting)

We can only hope that the new admin take more care of the infrastructure, then maybe there is a case for attracting the wealthier tourists.

“Quality Leisure Destination through Thainess.” At the same time, we need to ensure a balance between tourism growth and its social and environmental impact.”

Thainess:

months-long dangerous haze and smog in the north by illegal burning in order to toughen delicate lung tissue,

trash dumping by the road in abundance as an effort to beautify the country through plastic bags and styrofoam containers,

uncontrolled and untreated sewage released in the ocean to enhance the natural aroma of the beach,

cables in elaborate loops on bending poles and trees have become more of a photographic attraction than the marvelous architecture and sights they are obscuring...

if Thainess will help to attract quality tourists, why the need to pursue them?

Once you get away from the mass tourist areas Thailand is a beautiful country I know. Unfortunately the tourist areas are not so good and once the areas you refer to become well known they will lose their standard and quality. I totally agree with you though on everything you say

I can't think of one that's geared up for "quality" tourists. Definitely not any I'm aware of.

The only one might be Phuket. But compared to most places around the world where "quality" tourists visit, it pales in comparison.

Sure mate and with 15 years experience travelling in Thailand i also know (almost) every corner of the country. That's why i ask you to name some places, maybe you know more than me.

Sure there are resorts for quality tourists but outside those resorts the problems start. Sometimes even IN the resorts. Why were you so happy with the Fillipino personell? That's what i mean!

Oh, now Thailand, "hub of quality tourists" (what about your so beloved Chinese???? they leave no money, except a few bits and pieces bought at OTOP shos and chips, sweets and other daily "survival supplies" at the local 7Elevens, huh???) "pursues" European tourists, possibly "luring" (don't we love this word) them in by offering laxer visa regulations that will be tightened again as soon as the first Euros roll in... history repeats itself... Great!!!! coffee1.gif

Edited by MockingJay

There are a lot of European low-life tourists too - let's not just pick on the Chinese..

British Tourist Refused Entry into Thailand - After using her Passport as Toilet Paper

February 11, 2015: A U.K. woman's holiday plans were ruined after Thai authorities refused to let her into the country - because she'd used her passport as toilet paper. Faye Wilson had hoped to spend a month in Thailand before heading to Australia to work for a year. But her dream quickly turned into a nightmare when Thai officials clocked the missing pages in her passport and sent her packing.

Faye, 28, from the Lake District, said: "Thai immigration opened my passport and started looking through it, and asked 'what's happened here'?"

sad.png

http://news.yahoo.com/

Most of the European low-lifes that appear in the news seem to be British and Russian.

Australia is a beautiful country, too bad no one can afford to vacation thee.

thars why the ozzies come to LOS.

land of scams.

for the price of a week in OZ, I can spend a month in thailand!

sad but true.

I just returned from ko samet, the trash was waist deep.

disgusting.

Keep on raping and murdering them, overcharging them and telling not to wear bikinis unless they are ugly and it is a slam dunk, more will come.

In addition to all the BS and grandstanding, how about some substantive measures, like reducing the ridiculous level of tax on wine, to attract high spending European tourists. The country is already flooded with duty free whisky that is imported for sale in duty free shops but illegally sold to pubs with the connivance of corrupt customs and police. Why not have a similar scheme for wine but pass on the benefit to the tourists?

Keep on raping and murdering them, overcharging them and telling not to wear bikinis unless they are ugly and it is a slam dunk, more will come.

In addition to all the BS and grandstanding, how about some substantive measures, like reducing the ridiculous level of tax on wine, to attract high spending European tourists. The country is already flooded with duty free whisky that is imported for sale in duty free shops but illegally sold to pubs with the connivance of corrupt customs and police. Why not have a similar scheme for wine but pass on the benefit to the tourists?

High spending quality tourists aren't exactly the type attracted by cheap booze.

I wonder if TAT really understand that Thailand has got a terrible reputation in Europe & beyond.

Before people just joked about ladyboys & bar girls, but now the reputation has become a lot more sinister.

Thailand has become synonymous with murder & death (rta's, suicides, assisted suicides, bombings).

Also now all Europeans know about the copy copy coming from Thailand. It's called the land of scams these days.

When the Baht was 50 against the euro it was fun to travel to Thailand, now there are cheaper and better places to go for holiday.

Also Thailand is far from safe and they don't do anything to improve that.

Australia is hot these days, western standards and a great country/climate. Oh and guess what? They even speak english there thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

"When the Baht was 50 against the euro it was fun to travel to Thailand, now there are cheaper and better places to go for holiday."

There is? Where?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

woder if TAT think quality tourists enjoy walking where there are no pavements with their kids , i mean with LOS No1 spot re road safety , who wants to walk on the worlds most dangerous roads ??

What they need more of are well heeled retired or semi retired folk who like to pursue gentle pastimes such as Bridge.

Making the place attractive to these sorts would open up a huge, easily pleased and lucrative market.

Oh dear God not more old farts. Seas of grey on Phuket as it is .. coffee1.gif

Want Europeans? Get rid of the Russians and Chinese.

I'd sooner get shot of the touts, hawkers, vendors, BiB, public transport, immigration officials and most other native forces that manage to screw things up in any square inch they can sniff out tourists to bleed dry.