U.S. Social Security question

I will be collecting my SS soon . I have lived in Thailand 12 years I have used my Sons address in the states for that entire period. I will use for SS as well have the payments direct deposited to my US bank account and then transfer to my BKK bank account online as i have them linked.

Will this work not using my Thailand address ?

Anyone here doing this ?

Yes. Works perfect! and it is cheapest transfer system. If your SS knows that you do live in Thailand you may have some "damages".

You can also can use a Direct Express account to get your SS money, and they will also transfer to your BK Bank account. The same cost, but you will get an ATM card you can use everywhere in the world if necessary. The ATM charges are a lot higher, just good in case of any emergency here or when you are traveling.

Yes. Works perfect! and it is cheapest transfer system. If your SS knows that you do live in Thailand you may have some "damages".

And what might those damages be?

I doubt there would be damages but they do like to know your address in Thailand and I would prefer to not use it

Sure it will work. Be truthful in your application. Use your Thailand address...have the money direct deposited in your U.S. bank account or Bangkok Bank bank account. If having the payment directed deposited in your Bangkok Bank account you will need to open one of their special Direct Deposit Accounts for U.S. Govt payments otherwise Bangkok Bank will quickly spot the monthly payment is a U.S. govt payment due to coding/description on the transfer and send you a letter saying your need to come in an open such an account or the funds will be sent back to Uncle Sam. Or, have the funds directed deposited in your U.S. bank account and do auto/ad-hoc transfers to your regular Bangkok Bank account...this would probably be a better as you don't have the restrictions of the Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account then.

Apply for SS online. More info at the SSA Office at the U.S. Embassy Manila which covers Thailand also.

I doubt there would be damages but they do like to know your address in Thailand and I would prefer to not use it

There are no "damages" whatever Mazarella meant by that...no reduction in pension amount, etc. However, you will be asked more often to confirm you are still breathing.

There are no "damages" whatever Mazarella meant by that...no reduction in pension amount, etc. However, you will be asked more often to confirm you are still breathing.
And that is what I would prefer to avoid

Sent from my LG g3

whistling.gif Yes it can work. But listen to my experience.

I retired in October 2010 and my social security was direct deposited to my U.S. bank and then bank sent it to me in Thailand monthly.

Then in October 2013 my U/S. bank stopped sending my money to Thailand. No advance warning.

Claimed they were no longer allowed to send money to Thailand.

Wanted me to keep a minimum balance of $ 5000 in my U.S. bank account to transfer money to me monthly.

Took me until November 2014 to clear that up.

Since November 2014, my monthly pension is direct deposited from the Social Security every month to my Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok. Direct deposited from the Social Security International Operations in Baltimore.

Using my Thai mailing address for all notifications.

My old U.S. bank has been cut out of the process.

If you're going to keep using your son's mailing address, be sure to ask him to immediately open ANYTHING that comes from the SSA and let you know what it is. Scanning works fine. Someday there might be an important document requiring urgent reply.

That's one disadvantage of using a U.S. address.

Mac

I got stung this way. My brother didn't tell me there was a Certificate of Existence for my mother from the VA. Found out too late. Took me 20 months, countless phone calls (on hold at times for an hour), a visit to the US embassy in Bangkok, etc, to get it sorted and the money flowing again...Ugh....

My mother's SSA money goes to her US bank. I transfer it from there to Bangkok Bank via their NYC "branch". Works great.