Uk Credit Cards Without Loading Or Currency Conversion Charges

There are 3 UK credit cards (as far as i am aware, and I have) that offer no loading or currency conversion charges :

Nationwide

pros

good exchange rates, committed to continuing no forign currency charges

cons, can view statments online

got to be uk resident, will not send card overseas, will not keep non uk address on file, if lost will send temporary card

My own experience with nationwide is that is does what it says and is dependable

Lombard Direct

pros - not sure - never used it !

cons - no longer offered, no online service - cant see statements online

Post Office

pros - new, gives big credit amounts, apparently can have several addresses on file, if lost will send replacement card abroad (so i have been told), has online access - so can see statement, will send statements abroad (so i have been told)

I have read the T&C's tonight and it does not explicity state anything against what i have been told - butit could be the case that the cust serv operator wasnt 100% and told me what she thought was right / what i wanted to hear - as i was asking questions she didnt normally get asked..

cons - got to be uk resident initially (how well this is enforced not sure about)

also one extra sweetner for this is you can get cash back through quidco.com for applying - you need to be in uk to do this as they check your ip, but if you are outside of uk email them and you can enter your uk bank account details and they put you on the exception list - so you can get in and make extra cash on applications/purchases

I have use nationwide in several countries and for online purchases in non gbp currencies - but i have little experience with lombard direct or post office, if anyone has i'm sure that mant people may benefit from your comments.

Look forward to hear from you...

Hi Bob I am moving to LOS very soon N/wide does have the disadvantage of not sending any correspondance or cards/pin's to Thailand but they are quite a good outfit

What you can do is forward anything from them to a UK address (as long as you trust the 3rd party) and use them to send cards eg with a secure courier when the time comes

It's a bit of a logistical f/up but most banks are so pants anyway if you like nw then try and work round it

Transfers via moneycorp and their competitors is a good route some transfer for nothing some £5/£10/£15 depends how much but they do give good rates and want the business

Regards

Mike

:o

Hi Bob I am moving to LOS very soon N/wide does have the disadvantage of not sending any correspondance or cards/pin's to Thailand but they are quite a good outfit

What you can do is forward anything from them to a UK address (as long as you trust the 3rd party) and use them to send cards eg with a secure courier when the time comes

It's a bit of a logistical f/up but most banks are so pants anyway if you like nw then try and work round it

Transfers via moneycorp and their competitors is a good route some transfer for nothing some £5/£10/£15 depends how much but they do give good rates and want the business

Regards

Mike

:o

Mike thanks for the reply - yes get nationwide but also get post office too - same deal as nation wide, bigger credit also they seem to be more friendly to people who live outside of the UK, they will hold several addresses on file and will send cards abroad - this is all what i have been told - no actual experience yet - hence this post - in my eyes at the mo the post office card is a better deal than nationwide - but dont expect it to last and cover yourself - that is why i have all three.

When you talk about transfers using monetcorp - could you explain a bit more - is this a transfer to a thai bank account - also whose exchange rate do they use (is it a pants rate ?)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been using a UK Post Office credit card in Thailand ? If so care to say a few words on whether there really is no oversaeas charges, what sort of exchange rates you got and if the Post Office are funny over several Thai transactions - any other comments would be useful - customer service when abroad, if you had the card lost or stolen and what the post office did - and any thing else you care to mention.

I beleive that the Bank of Ireland provide the services and Post Office is just the brand.

Oh and if you have used the nationwide credit card before - how it compares to that...

Edited by Khun Bob