How to get BBC Radio 5 live football etc as VPN now not working

R123

For a few years i have been able (here in Thailand) to get the BBC 5 radio live Premiership football commentary -despite license restrictions-by the use of various paid for VPN connections; both on my tablet and mobile. And that usage is not unlawful.

However for some weeks now the VPN connections are now not working and all when i try to use it all I get is a repeated message about "due to license restrictions..." I cannot get the live football commentaries from the BBC.

Now i know I can listen to the live football commentaries on Talk Sport for free but the BBC ones are far superior in quality.

Does anyone know how to get access to the commentaries, whether via VPN or some other way? I am prepared to subscribe if necessary.

Many thanks in advance!

Try connecting to some of your VPN's other UK servers.

I had a similar problem with BBC iPlayer last week, and contacted my VPN provider via online chat. They advised me to try server x, no luck, then server y, and bingo, connected.

Edited by phetphet

I use Netshade ($29 per annum) and have no trouble getting Match of the Day and other BBC stuff.

However, Netflix began successfully (two weeks ago) blocking any attempt I made to access ANYwhere via my VPN (including my own country!!).

This may account for the shares of Netflix having tanked in January and February....

Problem solved!

And may i thank everyone above who took the time to give me valuable input; especially those who addressed the actual problem. In particular special mention to fasteddie who explained the likely source of the difficulty and phetphet whose suggestion- along with that of fasteddie- to try different servers until one works seems to have solved the issue.

And in the event last night I was able to get full live commentary of the early kick off match on BBC radio 5.

Have a nice day!

Edited by R123

Problem solved!

And may i thank everyone above who took the time to give me valuable input; especially those who addressed the actual problem. In particular special mention to fasteddie who explained the likely source of the difficulty and phetphet whose suggestion- along with that of fasteddie- to try different servers until one works seems to have solved the issue.

And in the event last night I was able to get full live commentary of the early kick off match on BBC radio 5.

Have a nice day!

Glad to help.

I use Netshade ($29 per annum) and have no trouble getting Match of the Day and other BBC stuff.

However, Netflix began successfully (two weeks ago) blocking any attempt I made to access ANYwhere via my VPN (including my own country!!).

This may account for the shares of Netflix having tanked in January and February....

They're blocking vpn's, but smart dns unblockers are working ok, though with intermittent outages. Unblock-us and BorderlessInternet are both working most of the time for me. I switch back and forth if one seems to not be connecting. Netflix is getting serious about enforcing regional content restrictions I guess.

• 2 months later...
BBC begins blocking VPN. Block affects all VPN users, even those in the UK using one for security and privacy. But if you are in china, its working fine using china vpn. Not sure if its great firewall of china or routing traffic issue and I really think the BBC should consider a subscription model and open up their back catalogue. They'd make a small fortune.
Edited by willieaames