New Ford Focus.....wow

I know 3 people with a Fiesta or a Focus and two have issues as their cars rack up more kilometers. It is a design issue with the Powershift transmission(not a conventional automatic). I have heard it said Europeans are less likely to complain(as to Americans) because they are more used to manual transmissions. I think Ford introduced the Powershift in 2010 on Fiesta/Focus.

How many You try??

and you compare with what car and brand?

rolleyes.gif

I do not understand the question, the problem is with Ford Powershift automatic transmission and not other manufacturers so no comparison is needed. Ford has the problem worldwide with this transmission which is well documented, class action lawsuits have been filed worldwide and Ford admits the problem.

This is the main reason why it's been shelved for the new focus. I guess no software update could fix the problem.

Anyone know if the new 6-speed auto (6F35) is the same as the one in the mazda 3? The new focus auto is a ford product as I looked it up. It's been around since at least 2009. It should easily take extra hp/tq from modifications to a 180hp motor found in the focus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford_6-speed_automatic_transmission

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know 3 people with a Fiesta or a Focus and two have issues as their cars rack up more kilometers. It is a design issue with the Powershift transmission(not a conventional automatic). I have heard it said Europeans are less likely to complain(as to Americans) because they are more used to manual transmissions. I think Ford introduced the Powershift in 2010 on Fiesta/Focus.

How many You try??

rolleyes.gif

I do not understand the question, the problem is with Ford Powershift automatic transmission and not other manufacturers so no comparison is needed. Ford has the problem worldwide with this transmission which is well documented, class action lawsuits have been filed worldwide and Ford admits the problem.

This is the main reason why it's been shelved for the new focus. I guess no software update could fix the problem.

Anyone know if the new 6-speed auto (6F35) is the same as the one in the mazda 3? The new focus auto is a ford product as I looked it up. It's been around since at least 2009. It should easily take extra hp/tq from modifications to a 180hp motor found in the focus.

The Mazda3 uses a Mazda designed "Skyactiv" AT - not the same.

Just a few examples.

https://www.charneylawyers.com/Charney/forddualclutchtransmissionclassaction.php

https://www.facebook.com/fordfocuslemonowners/

We should be asking has Ford changed the transmission design on the new model.

Yes, they have. The 2016 Focus has a 6 speed torque converter. The old Getrag dual clutch (AKA: Powershift) is gone.

Certainly hope you are right as the Ford Thailand website still shows the new Focus with a Powershift transmission on their spec sheet.

I have a 2013 Focus S; had it since new.
I have never experienced “transmission slips, kicking, jerking, harsh engagement, sudden acceleration, delay in downshifts, delayed accelerations, the inability to accelerate, difficulty stopping the vehicle, and difficulty climbing elevated grades”. (I'm quoting from one of the above links.)
In fact, I have never had any problem with my transmission. The car runs superbly.
Am I just lucky or is this transmission problem not a feature of the Focus S?

My wife has the Focus S+ and as it shares the same gearbox as the S it certainly has the same inherent problem. In answer to your question you have been lucky. It's not been a major problem for my wife as where we live there's not that much slow speed driving as there's no gridlock like Bangkok. It hasn't put her off Ford though as she wants to replace it with the new model in July. The technology and handling that Ford offer in Thailand relative to the competition helps customer retention. It's just a shame the residuals on the Focus are so poor compared to Ford's other offerings like the Ranger. I'm driving the Focus at the moment while waiting for my Everest next weak, I think its a fantastic car.

Big Guns said:

"My wife has the Focus S+ and as it shares the same gearbox as the S it certainly has the same inherent problem. In answer to your question you have been lucky. It's not been a major problem for my wife as where we live there's not that much slow speed driving as there's no gridlock like Bangkok. It hasn't put her off Ford though as she wants to replace it with the new model in July. The technology and handling that Ford offer in Thailand relative to the competition helps customer retention. It's just a shame the residuals on the Focus are so poor compared to Ford's other offerings like the Ranger. I'm driving the Focus at the moment while waiting for my Everest next weak, I think its a fantastic car."

For the record: my Focus is also an S+, same as your wife's. I take it that's the top spec, sporty model. (I don't pay much attention to the exact model names.)

It's interesting that her car has the transmission problem and mine doesn't. And I live in Phuket which means perpetual slow, stop/start driving, for the most part.

I'm glad you agree with me: a fantastic car!

I too would like to trade up to the new model. Can't wait to hear how much they'll offer me for mine though.

How many You try??

rolleyes.gif

A quick google of said 6F35 transmission brought up this bit of info...

"The 6F35 has also got a trick up its sleeve in that flat vehicle towing will no longer be a no-no due to a revised pump and baffle design which provides lube when the interior bits turn, regardless of energy source".

A handy feature and nice of Ford to acknowledge their vehicles have issues and need to be towed.

A quick google of said 6F35 transmission brought up this bit of info...

"The 6F35 has also got a trick up its sleeve in that flat vehicle towing will no longer be a no-no due to a revised pump and baffle design which provides lube when the interior bits turn, regardless of energy source".

A handy feature and nice of Ford to acknowledge their vehicles have issues and need to be towed.

I think you'll find the biggest problem is when they're towed for things like parking violations, and doing so incorrectly used to ruin the transmission. Note that the 6F35 is also used by GM. It's one of their co-designed AT's.

Edited by IMHO

How many You try??

rolleyes.gif

You give me link about previose version focus in US an Canada marcket.

open for you secret US and Canada it not " worldwide"

and first you start talking about "transmission noise Ford Focus"

so9 i ansver For you.

Noise compare with what?biggrin.png

What model year you use Focus? And compare with what kind car?wai.gif

How many You try??

rolleyes.gif

so9 i ansver For you.

Europen ford focus has similar problems with the gearbox.....next. There is a good reason it was dumped for the minor update!!

How many You try??

rolleyes.gif

so9 i ansver For you.

Europen ford focus has similar problems with the gearbox.....next. There is a good reason it was dumped for the minor update!!

There is also a class action lawsuit in Australia against the Ford Focus and Fiesta. I believe the years are 2011 - 2015. The Australian Fords are manufactured in Thailand. I previously mentioned I know Fiesta and Focus owners here with these issues. I know I would not touch these cars on the second-hand market despite the many other positive qualities.

Just a few examples.

https://www.charneylawyers.com/Charney/forddualclutchtransmissionclassaction.php

Yes, they have. The 2016 Focus has a 6 speed torque converter. The old Getrag dual clutch (AKA: Powershift) is gone.

Could you please state your source for this information. The Web page transmission spec shows a 6-Speed Powershift® Automatic With SelectShift® Capability. To me that means the dual clutch design although Ford has continually made improvements over the years.

Just a few examples.

Could you please state your source for this information. The Web page transmission spec shows a 6-Speed Powershift® Automatic With SelectShift® Capability. To me that means the dual clutch design although Ford has continually made improvements over the years.

I think you are looking at an old link for the old focus. it's definitely a regular 6 speed auto in the new model. It's also been in the press.

Just a few examples.

I think you are looking at an old link for the old focus. it's definitely a regular 6 speed auto in the new model. It's also been in the press.
I am sure you are right but I can only find references to the Powershift transmission which is a 6 speed dual clutch. Please provide a link to the new transmission.

Just a few examples.

I am sure you are right but I can only find references to the Powershift transmission which is a 6 speed dual clutch. Please provide a link to the new transmission.

OK, I just answered my own question.

From the show today

What's the point of the RS being there when you can't even Buy it here or the ST

They were taking bookings for it today even though the stand wasn't technically open! Mazda's stand looked like it wasn't ready, I guess typical Thai style leaving it to the very last minute.

It looks cool. The wheels are from their accessories selection. 5.1L / 100 km? It should return similar figures to an ecocar then. The RS badge is just that....probably accompanying a body kit. I think the 1.099Mb price is the version without all the add-ons (but spoiler lit looks to be standard anyway).