Challenging Times for Thai Tourism, Keeping Tourist Safe

rooster59

This report comes from the leading nanny state in the world, Australia.

Thailand must love listening to these so called experts from countries that are nowhere near as successful as the Thais concerning tourism, but who feel the need/urge to advise them.

Most of the tourist deaths are caused by their own drunken stupidity, riding motorbikes, drowning etc etc.

it is also a bit much coming from the land of the backpacker murders where tourists were rounded up and shot and buried in the Aussie bush, and a whole lot of other cases. A Thai schoolgirl is still missing and I recall another case where a Thai woman was thrown over a bridge so the crocodiles would eat her.

Maybe this David bloke should concern himself with his own country. He probably hasn't even been to Thailand, but considers himself an expert.

Despite the odd mishap the Thai tourism industry is booming. Bigger than ever.

Loser, it's my belief so called "nanny" states come about because the law abiding citizens need protecting from those who live on the fringes of the law, maybe you are one of them, remember, there are millions that live comfortably within these "states", it seems your chose Thailand because you wish live outside the norms of civilised societies. Nanny states are a state of mind.

Now to tear you apart.

1. The "missing" Thai girl is believed to have RUN away from home, if you have any other knowledge then let us, and the Australia Federal Police, know.

2. The backpacker murders, these were NOT targetted simply because they were tourists, that is coincidental, in fact 5 were foreigners and 2 Australian. ll killed by a serial killer, Ivan Milat.

3. Thai woman eaten by crocodile, I think if you actually do a follow up, you will see that although covered by Australian media, the incident actually occurred in BANGKOK, by a 65 year old, committing suicide.

Posts using oversize and bold font have been edited to normal font size. Another post in oversize font containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

I come from a city of 2million and can say I feel safer in Bangkok at nite then I do in this aussie city at night

you just created a new account, just to say you feel safe in a third world country. cheesy.gif We believe you too mut too mut!

these thai apologists are a real cancer for this forumcoffee1.gif

Edited by Bender

This is a problem everywhere and Australia is no orphan , the only consolation is the OZ police are highly respected, advanced and professional than their Thai counterpart, to which on this Sunday I decided to be kind to the RTP............................................coffee1.gif .

This is another last nail in the coffin of the Thai tourist industry in the face of FACTS showing that year after year after year tourist numbers rise and rise and rise. Seems that every day the sensationalist journalists are looking for quotes to predict doom and gloom. This time they have to quote a doctor from a university in Sydney, Australia.

"hosting nearly 30 million international visitors in 2015, a rise of nearly 6 million in just a year"

This article states that if tourists do not feel safe they will not travel to Thailand. Very true. I have been saying this for a long time on TVF. Yet this newspaper used to blame the Junta for their prediction that tourism would collapse.

September, 2015 "Until Prayut accepts a democratic transition, Thailands economy will continue to falter, driving away much-needed tourism"

So again I emphasise when tourists feel safe they will travel to Thailand. 6 million more in 2015 shows they are a lot safer.

In a year when the tourist numbers have risen again I wonder what Chaing Rai times will report the imminent collapse of tourism on.

Edited by djjamie

complete garbage
tourists dont get shot or beheaded in San Francisco
tourists dont get harassed, abducted extorted by the police in San Francisco

but these crimes do happen every single day in thailand

you are certainly living in the cloud of cucko landcoffee1.gif
People are shot dayly. extortion, drug shootings, kidnappings for sex trafficking, mass shootings, etc etc. A rape and a murder. Every major city. The old expat crowd in Thailand seem to be a bunch of old guys with to much time on their hands yelling at the News half the day. Sometimes I giggle at the a
Stank made on This forum about some guy that got beat up, when it's a dayly ocurance in most western cities. I think a lot of visitors going to Thailand have some sort of superiority complex because they are treated in most cases so well by the Thais. Sure there is crime, and any serious crime shouldn't be tolerated. But Thaialnd in comparison to the rest of the world is not that bad.
People are shot dayly. extortion, drug shootings, kidnappings for sex trafficking, mass shootings, etc etc. A rape and a murder. Every major city.

you are talking about thailand right?? because if you read thai newspaper its just about murder and rape in a huge scale!

I repeat, you talk complete boloney thailand is more dangerous even than Chicago or Detroit.
USA get 2 times more tourists than thailand, but you will never heard tourist got shot dead or beheaded every day....

The problem is you have no idea whats going on in thailand, because you are completely deluded (and you dont speak the lingo)!
I work in security. It's just much more publicized when it happens to a tourist in Thailand. 30 million people in tourists alone. Not counting expats. That's nearly 1/10 the entire US population. A simple statistical analysis will show that the numbers are not signifigant compared to other populations. The problem is not that I am deluded or misinformed, the problem is that social media and hoopla create a confimation bias effect in your brain, and without a proper understanding of critical thinking you will always be at the mercy of media and pop culture wink.png

"I work in security" so you didnt go to school? that might explain your lack of critical thinking ,your ignorance about this countrywhistling.gif and also the complete crap you keep writing
thailand as a tourist destination, is one of the most unsafe destination in the world

The fact that you would consider "security" a word that implies a lack of education and then use that as an ad hominem attack shows in its self how utter useless you are at evaluating information, and truelly sir you exemplify the first three leaders in the word assumption. You are makeing my point by word by word emotional attack and outburst by outburst. Hahahahahah this is half the fun with This forum, but back on subject. Do you have any percapita data on violent attacks on tourists? The traffic issue aside.

My wife and I are visiting the US. We have been here for 3 weeks and I rented a car. So far, I have not observed any drivers plainly violating traffic laws. I have been forced to find other topics of conversation, as I have not been continuously shouting at poor drivers. The stress is almost too much to bear.

I drive here all the time. I don't see people violating traffic laws. I assume that's because there aren't any traffic laws here

When you can get More than 10 to 1 of your home countries money in exchange rates,

people see it as a bargain no matter which country they go to visit,

The trouble for the tourism industry is not enough of them have traveled the world for the same reason as above,

so knowledge of safety and calling a spade a spade does not happen and the lines between information and loss of face

get blurred through the lack of knowledge

I get 50 to 1 exchange rate (£) but things here are 50 times the price they are in the UK so it is not a cheap destination anymore.

What the hell are you on?? 50 x UK prices??? You need to learn a little about currency exchange rates and economies. A bottle of beer in 7/ll 35Baht = 1750Baht in UK, nah, visit as hospital for a while. They might sort you out.

I thought I may have been a bit too ironic for some to get my point.

As you can see I quoted leeneeds post that said a 10 to 1 exchange rate makes Thailand seem like a bargain.

50 to 1 exchange rate does not mean a £1 beer in the UK would cost 1 Bt in Thailand.

A beer that costs 50 Bt here does not cost £50 in the UK.

Hope that has made it simple enough for you to understand.

Thailand has cheap housing Thai food transport! and ladies

If you fancy the odd bit of foreign food, cheese wines bread even a decent beer in a bar not on the7/11 steps ( sadly thai beer is poor at its best plus its lager not beer) its all at a premium.

To be honest on my yearly visits to UK (the repressed Midlands) i don't find UK that expensive, apart from taxis after all the beer curries,steaks fish and chips etc

yes in the glory days at 79 to 1 GBP it was cheap now its not

Thailand must love listening to these so called experts from countries that are nowhere near as successful as the Thais concerning tourism, but who feel the need/urge to advise them.

Most of the tourist deaths are caused by their own drunken stupidity, riding motorbikes, drowning etc etc.

it is also a bit much coming from the land of the backpacker murders where tourists were rounded up and shot and buried in the Aussie bush, and a whole lot of other cases. A Thai schoolgirl is still missing and I recall another case where a Thai woman was thrown over a bridge so the crocodiles would eat her.

Maybe this David bloke should concern himself with his own country. He probably hasn't even been to Thailand, but considers himself an expert.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Another defender of lies. I guess you work for the TAT. Another agent of the regime.

This is another last nail in the coffin of the Thai tourist industry in the face of FACTS showing that year after year after year tourist numbers rise and rise and rise. Seems that every day the sensationalist journalists are looking for quotes to predict doom and gloom. This time they have to quote a doctor from a university in Sydney, Australia.

"hosting nearly 30 million international visitors in 2015, a rise of nearly 6 million in just a year"

This article states that if tourists do not feel safe they will not travel to Thailand. Very true. I have been saying this for a long time on TVF. Yet this newspaper used to blame the Junta for their prediction that tourism would collapse.

September, 2015 "Until Prayut accepts a democratic transition, Thailands economy will continue to falter, driving away much-needed tourism"

So again I emphasise when tourists feel safe they will travel to Thailand. 6 million more in 2015 shows they are a lot safer.

In a year when the tourist numbers have risen again I wonder what Chaing Rai times will report the imminent collapse of tourism on.

Greece has also had many more people visiting their country. It doesn't mean more money coming into the country. In fact the opposite. You always spout drivel.

The pathetic reality is that rather than safeguarding tourists' well-being, the Thai "mechanism" actually facilitates the unwitting tourists' demise. It is one thing to not do anything, but the Thais go to the other extreme and actually take steps to ensure that tourists will encounter problems, either in the form of random accidents - cut feet and broken teeth, crime - petty and not so petty, and of course motor accidents, some minor, some fatal. So instead of being careless, apathetic or blase, they undertake a sinister role and FACILITATE the tourist undoing. The more inept you are as a motor bike rider... the better. The drunker you are.. the better. They'll feed you drinks and walk you literally over the hot coals, and then be your best friend and "help" you get fixed up. 10,000 baht later 555. But this is not funny. It highlights the stark reality that in LOS CRIME PAYS. And that a vast percentage of people working in the industry do not have their hearts and ethics in the right place. They make more money out of a dying or dead clueless farang than they do out of a living one. And this is deplorable. It is perpetuated naturally by the wonderful RTP, who rape the spoils, and many cowboys who are adept at this kind of "business". Simply put, if there is no crime and no accidents and no one being cut up on roads, the pigs don't make any money. There are plenty of good Thais who resent this attitude as well, but don't speak up because obviously they'd get murdered. Recently a friend did very minor damage to a scooter, the slapper extorted 35000 baht out of him. He is an old successful guy so it didn't matter too much. But if that was a young kid, then that money that was going to be spent on the community at large has now disappeared from circulation and is in the filthy hands of some stealing bitch who has done nothing to deserve even the steam off my $hit. Kids get hurt and killed and it's all okay as long as these clints make a buck. They should be ashamed. I've seen it for 30 years and it's got worse in the last 10 years. I hate them. /RANT

My wife and I are visiting the US. We have been here for 3 weeks and I rented a car. So far, I have not observed any drivers plainly violating traffic laws. I have been forced to find other topics of conversation, as I have not been continuously shouting at poor drivers. The stress is almost too much to bear.

it's very dull in the UK too. I went back last year for a visit ,first time in 13 years and everything was exactly the same, double yellow lines, no one parking illegally, cars stopping at zebra crossings, the worst was there were no motorbikes riding on the pavements or vendors blocking my path. it was so dull, like some toy town, running on clockwork! One can't expect the driving in a developing country to be up to the standard of developed economies but give me the hustle and bustle of Thai streets ( not talking about the expressways or highways) to the clean but quiet streets of the UK post 6.00 pm.any day.

Lol I love how disingenuous some of you are comparing Thailand to very specific areas in the USA with mostly black peoples with high crime rates to find some kind of equivocation.

Some of you are so clueless.

Edited by Praematura

Lol I love how disingenuous some of you are comparing Thailand to very specific areas in the USA with mostly black peoples with high crime rates to find some kind of equivocation.

In Thailand crimes against tourists are concentrated in Pattaya ,Koh Samui, areas with a high turnover of tourists which consequently attract riff raff of every kind, both farangs and Thais.

If you live in the sticks, it's rare to see or hear about these type of crimes, perhaps comparing Kansas to The Bronx may be an example.

In Thailand crimes against tourists are concentrated in Pattaya ,Koh Samui, areas with a high turnover of tourists which consequently attract riff raff of every kind, both farangs and Thais.

If you live in the sticks, it's rare to see or hear about these type of crimes, perhaps comparing Kansas to The Bronx may be an example.

i completely disagree with you,

the only difference between tourists spot(pattaya, koh samui, etc) and rural thailand is the lack of english newspaper in rural thailand.

Whe know pattaya, phuket & others tourists spot are really dangerous because we have english newspapers.

But for rural thailand, nobody knows, there are NOT newspapers.

But time to time, we learn that a foreigners has been murdered in rural thailand.

By exemple, you remember this young aussie(with his pregnant thai wife) who was chopped to death near Buriram.

Or this young german guy in Udon Thani who was nearly murdered. The culprits wanted to kill him in the same way that koh tao case.

Or this young canadian who was shot dead by a thai cop in Pai.

etc etc

if you get assaulted or murdered in Issan nobody will never know!

Edited by Bender

the only difference between tourists spot(pattaya, koh samui, etc) and rural thailand is the lack of english newspaper in rural thailand.

Whe know pattaya, phuket & others tourists spot are really dangerous because we have english newspapers.

But time to time, we learn that a foreigners has been murdered in rural thailand.

By exemple, you remember this young aussie(with his pregnant thai wife) who was chopped to death near Buriram.

Or this young german guy in Udon Thani who was nearly murdered. The culprits wanted to kill him in the same way that koh tao case.

etc etc

There are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of farangs living upcountry, very few are murdered, most live with their wives and families and enjoy a peaceful life. My local town, 80 km north-east of Udon has several farangs living here, it's very rare to hear of violent assaults on anyone.. I'm sorry but you are talking nonsense about nobody knowing when a farang is murdered,upcountry it's always a story in the Thai newspapers if a farang is killed in Issan. Maybe not in Pattaya where crimes occur daily but up here it's a rare occurrence.

etc etc

There are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of farangs living upcountry, very few are murdered, most live with their wives and families and enjoy a peaceful life. My local town, 80 km north-east of Udon has several farangs living here, it's very rare to hear of violent assaults on anyone.. I'm sorry but you are talking nonsense about nobody knowing when a farang is murdered,upcountry it's always a story in the Thai newspapers if a farang is killed in Issan. Maybe not in Pattaya where crimes occur daily but up here it's a rare occurrence.

so if i understand you right : you simply dont know!

Yes you dont know whats going on, because there is no english newspapers and you dont speak/read thai enough....

you have no idea! there is certainly as much murder in rural thailand than in the rest of the country, and because of lack of journalist, police investigation nobody will never know!

Edited by Bender

Wf you get assaulted or murdered in Issan nobody will never know!

Yes you dont know whats going on, because there is no english newspapers and you dont speak/read thai enough....

you have no idea! there is certainly as much murder in rural thailand than in the rest of the country, and because of lack of journalist, police investigation nobody will never know!

No bender you don't understand me right. I read The Daily News, a Thai newspaper every day, I graduated from Ramkhamhaeng University majoring in Thai language back in 2001. I know rural Thailand well and I can tell you if you avoid karaoke bars and drunken Thais it's a safe place to be.

When you can get More than 10 to 1 of your home countries money in exchange rates,

The trouble for the tourism industry is not enough of them have traveled the world for the same reason as above,

so knowledge of safety and calling a spade a spade does not happen and the lines between information and loss of face

I get 50 to 1 exchange rate (£) but things here are 50 times the price they are in the UK so it is not a cheap destination anymore.

What the hell are you on?? 50 x UK prices??? You need to learn a little about currency exchange rates and economies. A bottle of beer in 7/ll 35Baht = 1750Baht in UK, nah, visit as hospital for a while. They might sort you out.

I think there is a misunderstanding as the poster obviously meant that prices of many things are on a par (though could have expressed that more clearly I guess). For instance beer at 0.80p a small bottle in the UK equates to about 35 baht here. Actually the point is more complex as it depends on your lifestyle. If you spend your days drinking Chang and Leo or Cheers and live in a tiny box room eating noodles then you can live far far cheaper here. If you have a middling lifestyle eating meat, cheese and wine then the cheap bits largely cancel the more expensive and if you live the high life then the differences probably aren't so important as you will be spending more time about where you will pay the least tax than the pace of your Chablis. Of course the rich here have the best of it as they just ignore paying tax here and abuse the patronage system with their corruption to cheat their fellow countrymen.

Loser, it's my belief so called "nanny" states come about because the law abiding citizens need protecting from those who live on the fringes of the law, maybe you are one of them, remember, there are millions that live comfortably within these "states", it seems your chose Thailand because you wish live outside the norms of civilised societies. Nanny states are a state of mind.

Now to tear you apart.

1. The "missing" Thai girl is believed to have RUN away from home, if you have any other knowledge then let us, and the Australia Federal Police, know.

2. The backpacker murders, these were NOT targetted simply because they were tourists, that is coincidental, in fact 5 were foreigners and 2 Australian. ll killed by a serial killer, Ivan Milat.

3. Thai woman eaten by crocodile, I think if you actually do a follow up, you will see that although covered by Australian media, the incident actually occurred in BANGKOK, by a 65 year old, committing suicide.

Hi Rorri , i thought the reference re Thai Woman eaten by Crocodile related to the 2 Asian Sex Workers murdered in Darwin many years ago whose bodies were thrown into the Adelaide river for the crocs to dispose off . ( unsuccessfully it turned out, the crocs didnt touch the bodies)

Edited by PumbaBangkok

No bender you don't understand me right. I read The Daily News, a Thai newspaper every day, I graduated from Ramkhamhaeng University majoring in Thai language back in 2001. I know rural Thailand well and I can tell you if you avoid karaoke bars and drunken Thais it's a safe place to be.

So bannork, if you read daily news/thairath every day, you know whats going in this country, and i can certainly say, either you are deluded, either you are lying!

read carefully this

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777172-german-man-brutally-attacked-in-udon-thani-by-koh-tao-copycats/

The thais wanted to kill just for fun and because he was a farang!

We read everyday about murder and rape, in pattaya/phuket/bangkok etc. But you miss the point, in the majority of the crime in the tourist spot, the thai culprits are always from rural thailand!! The culprit are rarely thai-chinese from Bkk, but from poor background ...

In rural thailand, they can slash your throath and dump your body in a field, and we will never heard about you! And dont expect the thai cops will care !

When i was living in Bkk, i heard so many weird stories about your rural thailand.... no thanks!

So bannork, if you read daily news/thairath every day, you know whats going in this country, and i can certainly say, either you are deluded, either you are lying!

read carefully this

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777172-german-man-brutally-attacked-in-udon-thani-by-koh-tao-copycats/

We read everyday about murder and rape, in pattaya/phuket/bangkok etc. But you miss the point, in the majority of the crime in the tourist spot, the thai culprits are always from rural thailand!! The culprit are rarely thai-chinese from Bkk, but from poor background ...

In rural thailand, they can slash your throath and dump your body in a field, and we will never heard about you! And dont expect the thai cops will care !

When i was living in Bkk, i heard so many weird stories about your rural thailand.... no thanks!

So living in Bangkok, presumably now you're not even in Thailand, somebody told you rural Thais commit nearly all the murders in the tourist spots.

Could that be because a large percentage of the people working in the tourist spots are from upcountry? ie in Koh Samui there are thousands from Issan and Myanmar working in construction and the hotels.

Don't think the Thai - Chinese are averse to a spot of murder, down on Sukhumvit a certain Chinese- Thai doctor teaching at Chula University chopped up his wife, a medical student called Serm, almost certainly Thai Chinese ,chopped up his girlfriend and even pretended to look for the body with the victim's mother. The son of the Red Bull company killed a policeman by speeding on Sukhumvit and ran away, the son of a well known family in west Bangkok shot dead an undercover policeman in a night club. And let's not forget the Israeli who chopped up his Israeli girlfriend and dumped her in one of Bangkok's canals.

My advice to you is to stay away from Thailand, it's far too dangerous, just pray for folks like myself who has never been threatened in nearly 30 years in Thailand. And don't call people whom you've never met liars, it's tiresome and simply bad manners.

read carefully this

So living in Bangkok, presumably now you're not even in Thailand, somebody told you rural Thais commit nearly all the murders in the tourist spots.

Could that be because a large percentage of the people working in the tourist spots are from upcountry? ie in Koh Samui there are thousands from Issan and Myanmar working in construction and the hotels.

Don't think the Thai - Chinese are averse to a spot of murder, down on Sukhumvit a certain Chinese- Thai doctor teaching at Chula University chopped up his wife, a medical student called Serm, almost certainly Thai Chinese ,chopped up his girlfriend and even pretended to look for the body with the victim's mother. The son of the Red Bull company killed a policeman by speeding on Sukhumvit and ran away, the son of a well known family in west Bangkok shot dead an undercover policeman in a night club. And let's not forget the Israeli who chopped up his Israeli girlfriend and dumped her in one of Bangkok's canals.

My advice to you is to stay away from Thailand, it's far too dangerous, just pray for folks like myself who has never been threatened in nearly 30 years in Thailand. And don't call people whom you've never met liars, it's tiresome and simply bad manners.

xMN3r.gif

$1=35 baht.

1750/35 = 50.

So a beer is $50 in UK?

Can't sort it, sorry.